• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    Received the sample ballot... tried looking this up but doesn't someone have a summary of this:

Are you for or against St. Mary's County becoming a code county and being governed by the provisions of Article 11-F of the MD Constitution as proposed by the Commissioners of St. Mary's County?

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    If I'm not mistaken almost anything the county commissioners do now has to be approved by Annapolis. If changed they would be the final say. Could be a good thing or could be bad. It would eliminate a kind of check and balance.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    'code home rule' means that the commissioners can pass certain local laws without having to go to the state legislature. That's how chuck Co works.

It turns the commishs into both legislative and executive. Not a good thing IMHO. The next step up is 'charter government' like AA or PG with a separate council and a county executive.

I think the commissioner government works quite well.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    On the "for" side, St Mary's is much more conservative than the state legislature. It would allow the people of St Mary's to decide their own destiny without the state mandating what the county gov't decide.
    Not sure if I'm for or against the whole idea but that's another point of view.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Glad someone asked. I read the sample ballot last night and asked myself the same question. I agree with the argument that it would allow us to be more conservative but I really don't trust any politicians, much less do I intend to give them more power than they already have. I'll have to really think about it.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    For the most part, local laws get passed by acclamation if the local delegation supports it. So as long as a conservative county sends conservative reps to the statehouse, the local interests do get represented. It is rare that outside interests start monkeying in rural county affairs.

Tomcat

May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    As I said before, right now there is at least a system of checks and balances. The commissioners we have right now (although I believe 1 or 2 are looking to become career politicians) might be OK but what about in the future.

Dave Taylor

May 29, 2012
    See "kstone803" above:
    I really don't trust any politicians, much less do I intend to give them more power than they already have.

Vote no on this politically driven initiative.

Tomcat

May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I would rather have local Republican commissioners making local decisions for St. Mary's as opposed to the Annapolis Demorats.

If you look when they vote in Annapolis it's pretty much a no debate rubber stamp agreement type of thing. It gets read, no comments and voted on, done deal. If there was something you were opposed to it and let your representative know something may happen

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    This would mean that only 3 people would need to approve of a new law. That's not a good thing in my opinion. I'm voting no.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This would mean that only 3 people would need to approve of a new law. That's not a good thing in my opinion. I'm voting no.

+1

This just another push for the commissioners to get code home rule, changing county ordinances on a whim, instead of thinking the ordinances through before submitting them to Annapolis.

Being slow to change is the big draw for Saint Mary's

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Let's park a cheat sheet for all to right here

President: Donald J. Trump
    US Senator: Kathy Szeliga

Representative in Congress
    District 1: Andy Harris
    District 2: Pat McDonough