• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g19fanatic

Aug 2, 2010
    Lex Park, MD
    Recently I got fed up purchasing targets that allowed me to see where I was hitting. I also got fed up with just printed targets as its really hard to see the tiny little holes (I guess i need to make bigger ones... ;) )... This leads me to my quest to create a DIY target that mimics the 'Shoot-n-c's that are available.

Today I tested 3 different 'types' at MG and have to say that all 3 were really successful. The 2nd and 3rd type are virtually the same thing just done slightly differently.

Method 1:
    -Take some paper (all I had at the time was white computer paper)
    -Take a walmart type shopping bag and cut one panel out to just have 1 piece of flimsy plastic
    -Glue the plastic to the paper (i used what I had at the moment, which was an elmers glue stick)
    -spray paint over the plastic and let it dry (I had some textured black rustoleum paint)

Method 2:
    -Everything is the same as method one but instead of a plastic bag, I used wax paper (like the kind you would use for baking)

Method 3:
    -Take a 'good' paper plate (the type with a waxy surface) and spray paint it black.

After it all (and 3-4 hundred .22 rnds later), Methods 2 and 3 give essentially the same results... Being as the paper plate method was extremely quick (no prep), I'm going to only ever do methods 1 and 3.

Results were interesting. The first method gave the most 'shoot-n-c' type result with a rather large 'splatter' effect as you see with those types of targets. This really is the easiest to see but eats up the target the fastest. The 3rd method still had bullet holes with a white 'splatter' effect but the spatters werent as large...

My wife is into scrapbooking and I got her a 'Cricut' for her hobby a while back. Using her paper cutter (CNC style), I'm going to try method 1 using different pieces of construction paper to create a multi-colored bullseye. The cricut will allow me to quickly cut multiple perfect circles at a time.

All in all, i'm going to use method 1 for longer distance targets and method 3 for closer in targets. Method 3 is really quick to make and really inexpensive as well. Method 1 is almost free for me (i mean who doesn't normally have computer paper + plastic bags...?) but takes a little more time (about 1-2 mins per target... which still isn't bad).

Check out the pics to see what the test firing looks like :)

Attachments

• plastic.jpg
      plastic.jpg
      82.1 KB · Views: 1,259
    • wax.jpg
      wax.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 1,234
    • waxPlate.jpg
      waxPlate.jpg
      30.5 KB · Views: 1,239

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    Even plain el cheapo paper plates work ok for up to 25 or 30 yards. Bullets leave black ring around the bullet hole and it's fairly easy to see.

dannyboltz

Feb 21, 2011
    i was thinking of doing the same thing but with flouresent green cardboard paper and flat black paint, the bag one looks really clear. good post.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    with some spray adhesive this could be VERY easy... i wonder if you could put a thing layer of paint between the pastic and the cardboard... so you could REALLY see....

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    A+ for cheap and ingenuity. Good post.

Try the inverse too... solid black glossy paper or waxy substrate/background, and flat white spray paint over it.

I'm a big fan of those Birchwood Casey/DirtyBird/Shoot-n-C targets. Another cheaper brand I came across is GlowShot.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    One thing I have found out is that the bright white paper targets the Hap Baker sells, show the holes a LOT better than the cream-colored paper targets that Walmart sells... and they're just as cheap.

The green/red zones are just as contrasty, but if you hit in the black the holes are always harder to see.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Another reactive target is filling an empty G-ade bottle with water then adding food coloring, red is cool, then freezing it solid. It will take many many rounds depending on the grain of the bullet, but I've shot .223 for hours and still watched it react to that. Someone else on MDS suggested a can of tomato juice, gotta try that one.

SNovaTac

Mar 9, 2011
    Southern MD
    Dude, targets look great! Next time you're going to toss some lead down range let me know and we'll have to continue experimenting. I never even thought of doing something like this.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Interesting experiment.

Top Hat has Shoot-n-C's in bulk at good prices if you are so inclined.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Anybody know the tolerance level at shooting ranges for this kinda stuff? I.E. do they allow it or frown upon it because of (in the case of the gatorade bottle) chance of ricichets?

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Anybody know the tolerance level at shooting ranges for this kinda stuff? I.E. do they allow it or frown upon it because of (in the case of the gatorade bottle) chance of ricichets?

It's my fault for not being more specific. The ranges will probably not allow the gatorade bottles, I was doing this on private property. As reactive targets they are so much fun to shoot and cheap to boot, I had to mention the set up. Sorry to mislead anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom