• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jvv26

Mar 13, 2011
    baltimore
    I have a 78 python that suddenly started locking up on the same spot on the cylinder every time(purchased new for 310 by dad in 79) weapon has maybe 3k rounds in all that time, mostly .38spl, anyone got any ideas on what's wrong? timing/ hand issues? Is colt fat at returning items? I am planning on harvesting some free range bacon this fall and would like to start planning now. Any info would be appreciated.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Pythons are things of beauty. There are other causes, but one simple problem might be that you have a small grain of powder or carbon under your star ejector. Push the ejector out and carefully clean under it, then clean as much of the ejector rod as you can. That might solve your problem. If it doesn't, you might have a more serious problem.

Colt still works on Pythons even though they don't make them, but I don't know what the turn-around is. You could give them a call; they've always been very polite and helpful in my experience.

If you have a bent rod or crane or something more serious, it is hard to get parts for Pythons. When you load and unload your Python, you have not been whipping the gun and letting the cylinder slam back into the frame the way idiots on TV do, have you? That will cause problems. Unless you have been shooting very hot loads, or physically abusing your revolver, 3k rounds through a Python is not excessive or likely to cause enough wear to damage it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    See if Colt will fix it. Parts are almost impossible to get that are unused. Timing a Colt is a NIGHTMARE, an ABSOLUTE nightmare. I wont even work on them, my former employer (Scotts) will but you will wait 6 months before he can get necessary parts and get through the backlog to repair it. I hate Pythons and Anacondas more than 1911's.

My best advice is to see if Colt can get it right, once they do dont shoot is much, or sell it and get a Ruger GP100 or S&W 586/686. As Kinbote said if your slapping they cylinder shut, stop now. It will damage the gun, it goes for ALL revolvers.

jvv26

Mar 13, 2011
    baltimore
    No slamming it shut for me, I love my wheel guns. I already have both of the others(a set of gp100's) and all them members of the snake pit. you might say that I have an addiction to the wheel guns. But as I said no abuse here, I'm a lover not a fighter

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    No slamming it shut for me, I love my wheel guns. I already have both of the others(a set of gp100's) and all them members of the snake pit. you might say that I have an addiction to the wheel guns. But as I said no abuse here, I'm a lover not a fighter
    copy if you love em I'll let you convince me but I'm a fighter not a lover as I was created

Chadwick has your back.... since I've not checked on his med deployment.... I cannot make a rationale decision.... stand by NASA callling

jvv26

Mar 13, 2011
    baltimore
    totally unrelated question. I want to join agc club, but one that is active, not just yearly opt. meeting to use the range. Any suggestions?

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Call Colt and send it back to them. I sent my Python back to them about 2 years ago. Your only expense will be shipping it "overnight air" to them. That cost me about $50. The turnaround time was fast. In my case the cylinder would not swing open. It was related to the latch pin and latch pin hole if I recall correctly.
    There was no charge for repairs and they took care of shipping it back to me.

jvv26

Mar 13, 2011
    baltimore
    Got a letter from colt on friday, no parts replaced just needed some adjustment. Total cost to me $95 including shipping. It will be good to have it back, the others missed it:thumbsup:

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I wont even work on them

If Chad says this, one of two things is true:

1. Your gun is a .40 caliber pistol
    2. It's really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hard to fix and anyone who tells you otherwise is either insane, stupid, or a liar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom