• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    For a while I've been thinking about starting a collection of older military rifles. What are the regulations regarding their purchase in MD? If I buy one online do I need to have it shipped to an FFL? Are they C&C from gun shows?

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    If they're not on the regulated list, they're cash-and-carry in MD or at a gun show. A C&R license or if the firearm is an antique, it can be mailed straight to your door.

Matt

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    That's what I was thinking. What are the qualifications for it to be an antique?

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Get a C&R license. After a couple firearms transactions, it pays for itself. $30. You can use it in person as well as online and bypasses the background check and paperwork because its basically a limited FFL. All this provided its 50-60 years old, can't remember exactly. You can also use it to buy C&R weapons from people that don't have an FFL. Normally, you'd have to involve a third party FFL to transfer legally. Handguns are a little more tricky, Im not sure how Maryland is handling C&R handguns. Anything that Maryland banned were parts guns or new guns anyhow due to 922-R laws passed in the 80s. The only thing, I think, with a detachable magazine that qualifies as C&R is the M1 Carbine. Maryland didint ban or regulate that anyhow.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    There are a few others. French MAS 49/56 comes to mind.

Not really a detachable magazine. Correct me if I'm wrong. Yeah the FN 49, French MAS 49, SVT 40, G43, and even the bolt action Lee Enfield have removable magazines. But these rifles were meant to still be fed by stripper clips. A removable magazine was incorporated to facilitate cleaning. Some of these the follower spring will actually pop out when your remove the magazine, which dosent make changing magazines a viable option. The Lee Enfield mag pops out as a self contained unit but they're not easy to pop in and out. The M1 Carbine is really the only C&R weapon with a detachable magazine intended for magazine changes in battle rather than charging with stripper clips.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Step 1: Get a C&R license.

Step 2: Buy C&R guns.

Step 3: Go broke buying C&R guns.

Step 4: Curse the C&R license.

Step 5: Buy more C&R guns to make yourself feel better.

PS: The M1 Carbine is not banned, but I believe the 15 round magazine is banned (if shipped to Maryland with the gun). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    :lol: Amen. Love my C&R guns. Some people like to modify them but I like to keep them original and leave modification to new guns like AR 15s and 10/22s. But, some guns I do give a tuneup like my Mosins, improving the existing trigger, smoothing out working surfaces, polishing the chamber, making sure the barrel is free floated in the stock by sanding out the barrel channel, bedding the reciever with brass shims, lapping the crown, etc etc. All techniques that are authentic to the time period. But that's just me.

C&Ritis is an addictive disease. The history behind these weapons coupled with the easibility to buy and collect makes them very addictive. It goes from wanting just a Garand, Mosin, and a K98 Mauser, maybe a Lee Enfield and/or K31 to wanting all the variations of these weapons then lesser known weapons like the Krag Jorgesen. The C&R world actually branched me into wanting an AK and AR 15 to complete the representation of different time periods and designs in my firearms collection, not to mention they're fun to shoot. So, I can have these rifles as like a museum collection but I can take them out of the display and go out and shoot them. Now that's awesome!!

I didint say the M1 Carbine was banned. Its one of the only C&R guns you can buy, if not the only where you can swap magazines like an AR 15 while firing and is one the few types of those weapons that weren't covered by SB 281, probably because they're C&R guns.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Not really a detachable magazine. Correct me if I'm wrong. Yeah the FN 49, French MAS 49, SVT 40, G43, and even the bolt action Lee Enfield have removable magazines. But these rifles were meant to still be fed by stripper clips. A removable magazine was incorporated to facilitate cleaning. Some of these the follower spring will actually pop out when your remove the magazine, which dosent make changing magazines a viable option. The Lee Enfield mag pops out as a self contained unit but they're not easy to pop in and out. The M1 Carbine is really the only C&R weapon with a detachable magazine intended for magazine changes in battle rather than charging with stripper clips.

Touché. Good point. Was thinking of ones with removable mags. Probably wouldn't want to swap some of those out in a fire-fight.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Yeah stripper clips like the SKS are the way to go there. Dont take that long to reload if your proficient at using them. Changing mags dosent really become useful until you get into higher capacity magazines like above 10-15 rounds. And if youve ever loaded 30 round mags, your not going to want to sit there in a firefight while you load 30 rounds into a mag, your going to want another mag already loaded. A lot of those weapons retained 5 round stripper clips from the old bolt action Mausers, I think like the FN 49. It was the transition period to self loading rifles. So, you'd have to use two clips to charge the magazine. Dont know if this is potentially faster or using something like the curved 10 round strippers for the SKS, which I've found the rounds don't move through the clip as easy as a straight clip. I wondered why they made them curved? I didint realize it until I bought one, but with the M1 Carbine, the magazines go in straight in and out like an AR-15. No rocking in a magazine like many other guns like the AK, M14, G3, FAL, etc. Its a very nice little gun and ergonomic too. Its a shane that the price for an original USGI WWII M1 Carbine is so expensive. I'm glad I have one.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Be careful. It's banned if it has the grenade launcher and flash hider on it, since it fails the SB281 two-feature test.

First, it has to have a true detachable mag. It dont think it counts as it just comes out for cleaning. I dont know if that would be considered or not. Then if it does, it has to have TWO of the secondary features.....folding stock, granade lancher, or flash hider. So the way I read it as long as it don't have a folding stock and one of the other two features, it good unless they make a granade launcher that doubles as a flashhider, then would it be considered two features? Lol one thing but two features. I don't know. :innocent0

BTW I might be wrong. But I think they made Granades that fit over the A2 flash hider on M16s. But no one tell the MSP that.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    First, it has to have a true detachable mag. It dosent, just comes out for cleaning. Then if it does, it has to have two of the secondary features.....folding stock, granade lancher, or flash hider. So the way I read it as long as it don't have a folding stock and one of the other two features, it good unless they make a granade launcher that doubles as a flashhider, then would it be considered two features? Lol one thing but two features. I don't know. :innocent0

Go read SB281 again. The part about the two-feature test. You clearly misunderstand the test, at your potential legal peril. The magazine issue is open to debate on the 49/56. It's not the M1 Garand system. It was designed to be used with clips and/or swappable loaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom