• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    A friend and I had this debate today;

If you purchase a firearm cash and carry from a licenses Maryland FFL gun shop (Lets say that the firearm was a Tavor without a permanently attached muzzle device and it was <29" OAL), and later it is determined that this firearm was illegal to offer for sale because it met the definition of a copy cat weapon under FSA2013, who would the MSP charge?

1. The FFL for offering for sale and selling a copy cat firearm within the State of Maryland.
    2. The customer because he took possession/purchased a banned copy cat weapon.
    3. Both.
    He said that the firearm would get confiscated an the FFL would be charged. I said the firearm would be confiscated and that both parties would be charged.

How do you think this would play out?

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    FYI, we had this debate after walking out of a Maryland gun shop that is selling that particular firearm cash and carry. I verified that the is was in deed the 16.5" barrel Tavor and the OAL was less than 29".

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I say 3. The MD Politicians wont pass up an opportunity to make examples.

MSP has stated that, because of the "knowing violation" requirement for violations of the law, the onus would fall on the dealer. They have stated that the incorrect determination would be discussed with the FFL, MSP would not seek charges against a purchaser who purchased in good faith.

So, could both be charged? Yes. Likely? No idea, but I would lean towards no.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I also think the OAL measurement could be sucessfully argued to include non perm attached muzzle devices and it would not be a copycat.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    OAL is measured with the stock opened/extended if capable and the muzzle device removed if its not permanent. FYI, this applies to semi auto centerfire rifles only, from my understanding. BATFE has ruled on this on a federal level, logic would say the same guidelines apply absent a different interpretation from the MSP or A.G.

Any shop selling a centerfire semiautomatic rifle with a removable muzzle device best be sure its longer than 29" if there isn't a Pre-10/1/2013 P.O. weapon then its probably not ok.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Nate would understand the law way more than I. He is an Attorney.

I know that I would not want to have that gun in my possession.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Well, you sorta of answered your question with the hypothetical. If it was determined AFTER, then wouldn't that only affect sales going forward?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I think the MSP is screwing dealers with that interpretation.

Lets say Im a FFL and I sell a copycat gun that has a perm muzzle device or some kind of stock extension. If the Owner modifies said gun after the fact to a BANNED configuration and claims it was SOLD that way, and gets caught somehow. Well its not so great for the dealer.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona

Lets say Im a FFL and I sell a copycat gun that has a perm muzzle device or some kind of stock extension. If the Owner modifies said gun after the fact to a BANNED configuration and claims it was SOLD that way, and gets caught somehow. Well its not so great for the dealer.

I never thought about people getting caught and trying to blame the FLL for their misdeeds. I guess the FFL could cover themselves with description of the firearm on the purchase order/receipt, "Serial number XXXXX with 16.5" barrel and permanently attached muzzle device and 1" butt plate extension. OAL = 29.75" and then have the customer sign a copy of the receipt.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    FYI, we had this debate after walking out of a Maryland gun shop that is selling that particular firearm cash and carry. I verified that the is was in deed the 16.5" barrel Tavor and the OAL was less than 29".

Would you mind PMing me the name of the shop?

Agreed. This whole thing is so hard to enforce, it is ludicrous.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Maryland jurisprudence when it comes to technicalities on gun law…

8d5a8b2a6d65266fed90c9182e282d6dde66440244cd516450ec3d1b197d0aba.jpg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The buyer should ask for a jury trial. A good lawyer will convince at least 1 jury member the buyer relied on the expertise of the Licensed Federal Firearms Dealer to interpret Maryland's confusing gun laws.

Feb 28, 2013
    The buyer should ask for a jury trial. A good lawyer will convince at least 1 jury member the buyer relied on the expertise of the Licensed Federal Firearms Dealer to interpret Maryland's confusing gun laws.

Well, that sure as hell wouldn't require a lawyer.:)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    And don't forget, it's not only MSP who can decide to charge. Nothing prevents any other local/county/etc. agency with jurisdiction from charging if they choose to.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    A little hint to
    MDS members as to which gun shop I
    May be talking about
    Out of all of the Maryland FFL's,

Let's say that this
    One has a history of
    Giving customer's information to the MSP.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A little hint to
    MDS members as to which gun shop I
    May be talking about
    Out of all of the Maryland FFL's,

Let's say that this
    One has a history of
    Giving customer's information to the MSP.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom