Purchase a handgun from a gun show. ( MD or other states)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    7 day wait will get you every time. Makes gun show purchases complicated. That's why I generally just buy online and pick em up at my local FFL.

How is that less complicated? Its exactly the same, except you get to see the firearm in person before purchase.

1. See item online
    2. Pay seller for item
    3. Have item shipped to local FFL
    4. Visit FFL to start paperwork
    5. Pick up from FFL in 7 days

Vs:

1. See item at gun show
    2. Pay seller for item

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    How is that less complicated? Its exactly the same, except you get to see the firearm in person before purchase.

1. See item online
    2. Pay seller for item

Vs:

1. See item at gun show
    2. Pay seller for item

There is a third option that’s less complicated if an MD regulated dealer is present at the out of state show.

I actually helped a friend of mine do just that at this past Nation’s Gun Show. He bought a handgun and agreed on the VA private seller shipping it to an MD dealer. I then told him about an MD dealer (TK Defense) at the show who was even closer to him than the one he initially chose for shipping. He got the seller to refund the shipping cost, the dealer picked up handgun at the show, and my friend started the paperwork right there. He will only have to drive to that dealer once just for pickup once the wait is over.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    There is a third option that’s less complicated if an MD regulated dealer is present at the out of state show.

I actually helped a friend of mine do just that at this past Nation’s Gun Show. He bought a handgun and agreed on the VA private seller shipping it to an MD dealer. I then told him about an MD dealer (TK Defense) at the show who was even closer to him than the one he initially chose for shipping. He got the seller to refund the shipping cost, the dealer picked up handgun at the show, and my friend started the paperwork right there. He will only have to drive to that dealer once just for pickup once the wait is over.

:thumbsup:

Absolutely. Items 3 and 4 in my list would consist of walking over to a different table, and the seller & FFL would do the hand-over in person.

Mine was a worst case scenario, when there's no MD FFL present, and even then its no more complicated than an online purchase.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Your best bet, fastest & most likely cheapest route is to order or buy your gun from a Maryland Federal Firearm Licensed Dealer...

Step #1, you need to posses a MD HQL, you can't buy without it...

Your FFL Dealer will responsible to check to see if the gun you want to buy is on the APPROVED List with the Md State Police...

Your dealer will have you fill out the paper work & submit it to the Md State Police, your 7 days begin when they receive it...

Your dealer will hold YOUR gun...

Your Dealer will call you to pick up your gun after the Md State Police say it's OK for you to have, sometimes it's 7 days sometimes it 9 or 10 days...

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Your best bet, fastest & most likely cheapest route is to order or buy your gun from a Maryland Federal Firearm Licensed Dealer...

It depends upon what you're looking for. Not everyone likes to buy off the rack... aka what's commonly in stock.

Step #1, you need to posses a MD HQL, you can't buy without it...

Not necessarily true. There are too many variables to make this a blanket statement without further explanation.

Your FFL Dealer will responsible to check to see if the gun you want to buy is on the APPROVED List with the Md State Police...

Your dealer will have you fill out the paper work & submit it to the Md State Police, your 7 days begin when they receive it...

Your dealer will hold YOUR gun...

Your Dealer will call you to pick up your gun after the Md State Police say it's OK for you to have, sometimes it's 7 days sometimes it 9 or 10 days...

Outdated info... everything is done online now.

It is no longer dated from when they 'receive your paperwork', the clock starts when the online form is submitted by the FFL, which ideally is minutes after you finish it.

And its always 7 days from that date, not 9 or 10, unless your FFL of choice is not open on that day. You will get an email on day 7, assuming you're 'not disapproved'.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My buddy from Hanover tried to buy from Buds store in Pigeon Forge Tn the guy just laughed at him and said we don't sell to Md residents. He had to go on line. I told him I would buy it and give it to him if he wanted it that bad but the gun wasn't in stock. I could have had it in less than an hour out the store in the box.

Hmm, and that would be a felony for you to do that.

Unless you were going to ship it to an MD dealer for him to do the paperwork and pick up from.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I think I recall seeing whats her name from TomKat at a table in the back left corner last time at the Nations gun show with a sign saying she did MD transfers.
    You would need to get the seller there to agree to have someone bring the handgun to her table and do the mumbo jumbo FFLs do to transfer, then you deal with TomKat.
    I know she used to at least have a place in MoCo to pick it up.

My dad uses her sometimes for online purchases then the legal transfer process.

hey, she even mentions it at the bottom of the web page along with the fees.
    You will want to ask her if the $55 includes the MSP $10 or not for regulated.

https://tkdefenseusa.com/

EDIT: if its in PA, look to see if SCSG is there at the show of course :)

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    When can I received the paper receipt from seller?

After picking up the gun , which day should I put on 77R application ?
    there are there days I can put.

1) the day I paid to seller.
    2) the day I filled out the paper work to FFL dealer after they received the
    shipped gun.
    3) wait 7 days , the day I picked up my gun.

which day or either one I can pick up?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

shipped gun.

You can pick it up generally once you receive the automated email at 6am from the Maryland State Police that you are Not Disapproved. That will usually (some holidays excluded) be 7 days exactly from purchase date, however if you are dealing with an FFL who didn’t key the purchase into their system the day you did paperwork that will add time (ask me how I know).

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

shipped gun.

the date you fill out the 77R at your FFL is the starting date for the waiting period. MSP will send you an Email @ 6am the day you can pick it up

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

shipped gun.

As others have said - the 7 day wait starts on the day that your 77r is submitted to the MDSP portal by the FFL that will be transferring the gun to you. There is no scenario where you can pick up the gun before the 77r is submitted.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Do I still have to apply 77R application if I already bought a gun and finished the paperwork in front of FFL dealer transfer , waited 7 days and Pickup the gun? Thanks.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Do I still have to apply 77R application if I already bought a gun and finished the paperwork in front of FFL dealer transfer , waited 7 days and Pickup the gun? Thanks.

What? I’m assuming you bought it at a gun show from an out of state FFL as discussed in this thread, correct?
    If this is the case, it would need to be transferred to a MD FFL. Once this happens you would go to that FFL and fill out your 77R (actually you could do it beforehand on the MSP licensing portal)
    You give your application number and pin to the FFL and they actually submit it along with their info and the firearm information.
    You then can pick up the firearm 7 days later when you get the email from the MSP saying you’re good to go.
    You can’t pick up a handgun without filling out a 77R and waiting 7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    What? I’m assuming you bought it at a gun show from an out of state FFL as discussed in this thread, correct?
    If this is the case, it would need to be transferred to a MD FFL. Once this happens you would go to that FFL and fill out your 77R (actually you could do it beforehand on the MSP licensing portal)
    You give your application number and pin to the FFL and they actually submit it along with their info and the firearm information.
    You then can pick up the firearm 7 days later when you get the email from the MSP saying you’re good to go.
    You can’t pick up a handgun without filling out a 77R and waiting 7 days.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) I bought this gun at a gun shop VizardGunAndAmmo, they shipped it yesterday.
    2) I just submitted 77R application and got e-mail and PIN.
    now I just wait my local FFL dealer to notify me while they received the gun's package.

question: after I pickup the gun , who will add my gun information to MD Police system? the FFL dealer? They looks like will not do that, maybe after they submitter the application, the gun's information already was added to the system, Don' I need worry about?

now I just wait my local FFL dealer to notify me while they received the gun's package.

question: after I pickup the gun , who will add my gun information to MD Police system? the FFL dealer? They looks like will not do that, maybe after they submitter the application, the gun's information already was added to the system, Don' I need worry about?

When you give the (Maryland) dealer your application and PIN numbers, they will tie your application to the specific firearm. The 7 days starts once that is done.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

The part you did on your own to generate a pin is not the start of the 7 days. that just putts your application into the "pool". You can do that a bunch of times and it will stay in the pool so that later, when you want to buy a handgun say at a shop, you pull out the application number/pin email and give it to them and you don't have to do the stuff on the computer there.

The start of the 7 days will happen when the FFL gets the gun in and you go in to give them the Pin and application number. They have to put info into MSP site that requires them to have the gun in front of them. (Serial number, barrel length, model/make etc)
    They then do some mumbo jumbo on the MSP website, you pay $10 and that is when the 7 day starts.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD

1. See item online
    2. Pay seller for item

Vs:

1. See item at gun show
    2. Pay seller for item

Can I do that at a gun show ?
    [*] See item at gun show ( seller should be a FFL)
    [*]Pay seller for item
    [*]give the 77R form to seller let him send to police
    [*]Pick up from seller shop in 7 days.
    seller shop located should not be too far from my house, I can save the transfer fee.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Can I do that at a gun show ?
    [*] See item at gun show ( seller should be a FFL)
    [*]Pay seller for item
    [*]give the 77R form to seller let him send to police
    [*]Pick up from seller shop in 7 days.
    seller shop located should not be too far from my house, I can save the transfer fee.

Go to the MSP website right now and start a 77R, fill everything out completely and they will Email n application number and PIN to you.

Go to a gunshow and find a pistol, that is on the MD roster, that you want to buy. IF the seller is a MD FFL you should be able to give them the application number and PIn and they can complete the 77R application and start the 7 day clock ticking.

If the seller is NOT a Maryland FFL the handgun will need to be transfered through a Maryland FFL. The seller may be able to hand transfer the gun to a Maryland FFL at the show that'll be willing to handle the transfer for you. You'll need to pay them a transfer fee for this service along with the $10 for the MSP.

If you can't transfer through a Maryland FFL at the show it will need to be shiped to one for transfer, you'lll be paying for shipping now too.

In all cases the Maryland FFL will finish up your 77R with you and the gun present thus starting your 7 day wait.

I'm assuming that you already have an HQL already.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Go to the MSP website right now and start a 77R, fill everything out completely and they will Email n application number and PIN to you.

Go to a gunshow and find a pistol, that is on the MD roster, that you want to buy. IF the seller is a MD FFL you should be able to give them the application number and PIn and they can complete the 77R application and start the 7 day clock ticking.

If the seller is NOT a Maryland FFL the handgun will need to be transfered through a Maryland FFL. The seller may be able to hand transfer the gun to a Maryland FFL at the show that'll be willing to handle the transfer for you. You'll need to pay them a transfer fee for this service along with the $10 for the MSP.
    If you can't transfer through a Maryland FFL at the show it will need to be shiped to one for transfer, you'lll be paying for shipping now too.
    In all cases the Maryland FFL will finish up your 77R with you and the gun present thus starting your 7 day wait.
    I'm assuming that you already have an HQL already.

I already bought a handgun, yesterday I went to a Maryland FFL dealer shop , submitted 77r pin , finished FD 4473 form, start to wait 7 days.
    I paid $10 to police , $50 for transfer.
    I went to a MD gun show on Feb 5 , I found there were few handgun put in there for sell , maybe buy online will get more chance .

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom