• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan
    I guess I could have saved you all some time. I've had dogs all my life. Just recently went the last two without one after my male Rottweiler passed away ending over 17 years with rotties (female and a male). Im aware of quality and breeding and vet bills and energy levels, etc. Not a beginner guys~ I just refuse to pay extra ordinary stupid prices. Which I consider 2,000 and up to be. My show quality male rottie with his father a recent Rottweiler of the year was only 1,500.

Just like with ammo, they keep charging those prices because stupid people keep paying it.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    No worries! Great that you have the experience. I post a load about dogs when it comes up because someone may be reading that has not done all that research / living with dogs.

I hate to hear "we bought the cute puppy and now 6 months later, she is a monster! "

LucasF

Mar 6, 2014
    Stevensville, MD
    I got my chocolate from Bachman Farm. She was $1,100. These were pics of her at about 4 or 5 months old. Loving that water!

Attachments

• Lilly 2.jpg
      Lilly 2.jpg
      87.9 KB · Views: 284
    • Lilly 9.jpg
      Lilly 9.jpg
      153.2 KB · Views: 296
    • Lilly 1.jpg
      Lilly 1.jpg
      53.8 KB · Views: 285

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    Smokey Pines Kennel
    11035 National Pike
    Grantsville, MD 21536
    (301) 895-5772

I'm not sure what he is breeding now. The owners are the Yoders. I think he was breeding labs when I picked up my Golden Retrievers but that was 12 years ago. He breeds for the best temperment. Worth a call to see what he has. Prices were very reasonable at the time.

Dec 31, 2012
    I have Chesapeake bay retriever pups that will be 8 weeks this weekend if your not set on a lab. If interested let me know and I will send you some pics of the parents and the pups. 1 pup has been sold to a member of MDshooters and he will be picking her up this coming week.

There you go OP, a Chessie is like a Rottweiler that can swim.
    With retrievers, a Golden you can train with kind word; a Lab takes stick but a Chessie needs a 2x4 but once trained, Chessies are the Chuck Norris of retrievers. When not hunting, nobody is going to mess with their family or home.

I picked up my Chessie last Friday. She's been a blast to have around, energetic, playful, but pretty well socialized already. I recommend contacting "noone" about them if you go for a Chessie. Both parents are in the household and look well. He and his family have cared for these pups like family. She was mostly paper trained and has a good head start on housebreaking. My family is happy with our choice.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you liked the Rotti, then the Chessie would be right up your alley. Great dogs, but a handful to be sure.

Jim Smith

jake12

May 18, 2010
    Forgot to include the link for the rescue. It is also a tab on the club page, but here it is.

Lab Rescue

http://www.imis100us1.com/labs/

Just got our second lab from this group. Would recommend them to anyone looking for a nice family lab.

First one was a lab mix second is looking more pure. Great pups!

First

yru5evat.jpg

Second

merave7y.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395782783828.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1395782783828.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 250

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

This is Bailey, not long after bringing him home. He was previously known as Moonshine. I adopted/rescued him from a guy in Glen Bernie. Bailey was a mess when we brought him home. Lived most (if not all) of his life in a crate. Would do his business inside his crate and then lay in it. Wouldn't listen, jumped on everyone. Nipped at your hands and legs. Honestly, there were a few day, I didn't think he would ever do better.

This all started in May of 2013.

I'm glad to say that Bailey has turned many corners and is now a well mannered Chocolate Lab. Well, he is still high strung, but he is now manageable. He listens to instructions and knows far too many commands for me to list here.

Adoption/Rescue can be rewarding, but it's usually a lot of work too. Looking back, I'm glad I went this way. I don't know if Bailey would have found anyone to commit as much time as we have. I wouldn't want to think what could have happened to him if we didn't come along.

Interesting thing, Bailey is a pure breed with AKC papers. I also received the paperwork from the breeder. The previous owner paid $1200 for Bailey, then just let the dog go without any training. I called the breeder to let them know what happened to their puppy. They were glad I had called.

At least there's a couple happy adoption/rescue stories for you to consider.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Papass5000

Jan 25, 2013
    Adoption people make you jump through hoops. And still want blood urine and for you to cough twice before they let you rescue a dog. Puppy mills flourish

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Yes, I know. I moved into my home in August of 2012 and we really didn't want to fence our back yard. This adoption group demanded that the yard be fenced. I've done well with a long lead and electronic fence. Bailey knows where he can go and doesn't go any further.

I was happy that Bailey came into our lives, but there were times, oh, I can't tell you how there were times...

But all has worked out very well.
    Jim Smith

noone

Jul 3, 2011
    This is the pup we decided to keep, he was 18 pounds when he got weighed on Monday. His name is (my wife named him since I picked him) Icarus and you can see he is about to try and fly off the sofa, for some reason he likes jumping on the dog bed. First time he was afraid now he leaps like a pro. Can't wait to see if he will do it off the piers

Attachments

• new pup (480x640) (480x640).jpg
      new pup (480x640) (480x640).jpg
      52.2 KB · Views: 226

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Wow, you were lucky. Most of the time, they sell their pups before they are born. It's not unheard of to have to wait for a year to get one of their puppies.

Congrats!
    Jim Smith

LucasF

Mar 6, 2014
    Stevensville, MD
    Wow, you were lucky. Most of the time, they sell their pups before they are born. It's not unheard of to have to wait for a year to get one of their puppies.

Congrats!
    Jim Smith
    I am really lucky... She is 10 months old now and she is the best puppy ever. She has no bad habits, except grabbing socks and bringing them to me. She never chews them, but the always carries them around. Its the funniest thing.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I don't recall the folks who bred our dog Leo - I got the number from my brother-in-law who did the research when he picked up Raven a year before (also my dog at this point) but I believe the breeder was fighting a losing battle with cancer at the time, and wasn't planning on doing any more litters - this would have been 10 years ago. I LOVE Labs - Leo is yellow, but I love Chocolates and Blacks just the same.

Some people talk about how high strung a lab can be - I never really dealt with much more than typical puppy energy. Otherwise both Raven and Leo were very well mannered right from the beginning. I've been VERY happy with these guys, but I'm getting to a point where the vet bills are starting to be larger and more frequent. It is what it is, and I'd do it the same way now. Here's a pic of Leo - can't believe he's 10 already, but he still looks great for his age - most people can't believe how old these guys are - they look like they are around 5-6.

IMG_20131002_131803_408-1_zpse57a215a.jpg

LucasF

Mar 6, 2014
    Stevensville, MD
    My lab isnt high stung at all...She is only 10 months and loves to play. But she also loves to just hang out. If I cant take her to the park one day, she is cool with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom