• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    So if they really do pass the hearing act and take suppressors off the NFA list I am assuming the demand will be great compared today. So besides the fact that I might buy a few more to add to the collection, is their an opportunity here?

Are any of the suppressor makers public? My quick search it didn't seem like it. Are any owned by other companies that aren't obvious? Just thinking that their value would easily double with a law...

Just thinking out loud.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Make take is that prices of factory produced suppressors will drop like a rock overnight.

Everyone and their great granny will be hunkered down in their basements making homegrowns.

For 1/10th of the price too.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Make take is that prices of factory produced suppressors will drop like a rock overnight.

Everyone and their great granny will be hunkered down in their basements making homegrowns.

Agreed. With out having to go through the PIA it is to get suppressors, do you really need to make one from titanium, inconel, and stellite? A stainless suppressor would work for most folks.

Companies and/or gunsmiths would make a lot of money from threading barrels though.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Publicly traded gun companies are not that common. Most are held either privately or in a quasi-public fashion by investors and funds and not traded on open exchanges. Smith and Wesson, Ruger, and ATK/Vista Outdoors (which includes Savage among many other things) are the only three I know of you can buy domestic common stock in. Taurus/Braztech is traded on the Brazilian stock market.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Its always hard to say which way things will go. No regulation so more might be interested. However now they are not restricted which might take away some of the appeal.

Frankly, other than 22LR, the more I shoot suppressed, the less I like it. The cans just heat up way to quickly! :)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Its always hard to say which way things will go. No regulation so more might be interested. However now they are not restricted which might take away some of the appeal.

Yep. And I will add that increased demand in and of itself does not always mean an increasing stock price. Best piece of advice I ever had on investing is "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    The result of over-the-counter suppressors... There would be an initial spike in demand and profits/margins would rise for the incumbents. Immediately, more manufacturers would get into the game. Then there would be cheap commodity suppressors, a nice middle ground, and there would be high end that drops one dB for an extra $200.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think part of it depends on how they are still regulated, if at all. Will they be treated as a firearm and need a license and serial # to make them? Or, will they be a muffle which anyone can take a shot at making? A lot will be in the details IF things do change.

Removing them from the NFA but them remaining a "firearm" will be a lot different than making them totally open.

That said, Ruger is likely the best way to go. They make some now but their stock is rather high now in my mind.

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    Cool, thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I expected. Yeah, I would agree that the cheaper versions would come out, but the Gorillas of the industry would still rule for a while. Remington and Ruger are just too big to see much impact.

Oh well, I'll just have to be happy about buying one cheaper and not waiting 9 months to use it.

Thx.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Will they be treated as a firearm and need a license and serial # to make them? Or, will they be a muffle which anyone can take a shot at making?

Anyone can make a firearm now without a license OR a serial number. If suppressors were no longer controlled by the NFA anyone could make them at home whenever they wanted.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Anyone can make a firearm now without a license OR a serial number. If suppressors were no longer controlled by the NFA anyone could make them at home whenever they wanted.

Yep, I've made 2 pistols in the last year. Neither have SN or anything. It's completely legal as long as I'm not making them with the intent to sell them. Otherwise I would need an FFL.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I don't see suppressors being completely deregulated. It's too much of a jump. But transferring them on a NICS check is politically do-able.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I don't see suppressors being completely deregulated. It's too much of a jump. But transferring them on a NICS check is politically do-able.

I don't even think we'll see that.

Too many Mambie Pambies that think "Silencers" will make a firearm ten times deadlier. Many think it's a gateway product that will turn pocket protector wearing geeks into long range sniping tower dwellers.

They'll say, "SWAT team members will never be able to hear when a bank robber starts plugging hostages". Or "Gangbangers will turn crack houses in to suppressor factories". Or "No one needs a suppressor with ten chambers to kill a DEEEEAAAAAARR".

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think we've a fighting chance. Suppressors are NFA for People Who Don't Do NFA. There are enough of them out on the street that most gun owners have seen and heard one. The "forbidden fruit" factor is gone. It's just a muffler for a gun, with an inordinate amount of paperwork.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    There are enough of them out on the street that most gun owners have seen and heard one.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's even remotely true.

Most gun nerds? Maybe.

Most gun owners?
    I don't think it's even close. Remember, guys like us who hang out on forums like this are not the "average" gun owner.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Unfortunately, I don't think that's even remotely true.

Most gun nerds? Maybe.

Most gun owners?
    I don't think it's even close. Remember, guys like us who hang out on forums like this are not the "average" gun owner.

This. I just recently talked with a friend of my dad who is a lifelong gun nut and avid hunter. He's in his 60s and was under the impression that suppressors all cost north of $3k and it's nearly impossible to get a "license" for one. I set him straight and n he's thinking about buying one.

Who knows how many thousands/millions more like him are out there.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    if they go non NFA i will likely make my own, due to the fact that if it only lasts 500 rounds before it fails, i can just build another one. companies will be manufacturing baffles for sale and you'll be buying them like you buy gun parts. the market will shift from the buy one supressor that is designed to last for life (the tube at least, user servicable, individually replaced inconel baffels, etc) to cheap cans that are almost throw away. there will be $50 dollar suppressors (because they will be impulse purchasable) that will last less than 1000 rounds of 9mm, or get so dirty that you can't use it, and throw it away and buy another. companies will still make the high end ones, and people will still buy them, but honestly, buy a threaded titanium tube or 4, and buy a pile of baffles in assorted sizes and for under 1000 bucks you can literally have a supressor for every gun in your current and future collection. and you'll be able to mod your supressors (caliber conversions quickly). mounts for your suppressors will be the cost limiting factor. currently the most difficult part of manufacturing a suppressor is the paperwork.

the business you'd want to invest in is the first one selling large quantities of supressor parts as a parts supplier. a 7/9/11 inch long, D cell diameter internally threaded on both ends titanium tube for 100 bucks will sell faster than any company can make them if supressors go non NFA. baffles and spacers the same. companies will start churning out SS baffles for 5 bucks a pop. the free market will drive the prices up temporarily, but then they'll crater.

and for current supressor makers, the ATF rule change than enacted in july probably was a big uptick, so i'd imagine any impact on stock price is already at a high point, so buying now wouldn't be predictive.

i'd invest in tubes now if you want to invest in anything. titanium tubes are under 100 bucks out on the internet.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010

Should I panic for a run on oil filters at my local auto parts store?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom