• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I have a Taurus PT92 that I bought from Engage before the end of the world. Engage fired the weapon, so I know it was working when it was bought.

Today, I went to the range and pulled the trigger. No boom. Dropped mag, cleared, inserted mag and racked. Pulled trigger - no boom again. 4 times - no boom. All different rounds of the same ammo brand.

Took it to a friends house. We tried brass. Loaded a round in the mag and inserted/racked. No boom. Tried it 3 more times.

Then my friend handed it back and I physically chambered a round by hand without the magazine. Pulled the trigger and it fired.

Magazine is stock. I tried two different magazines - both stock. Ammo was Wolf steel crap ammo. The brass ammo was CCI. Some folks said it could be the ammo. The firing pin just ever so barely touched the primer. Enough to leave a faint impression.

I pulled the slide, checked the firing pin and block. Completely smooth action and pin doesn't look damaged.

I am confused where to look.

I unloaded the weapon, put a pen in the barrel and pulled the trigger - pen few up and hit the ceiling. Makes me think it's not the firing pin.

What am I missing?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    It has a decocker if that is what you are asking. It is a safe/decocker version.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I did a google search and found a number of issues with the safety/decocker....some seemed to be user error and not mechanical. Is there something you could be doing that is decocking the pistol? I'm not assuming anything, mind you....just throwing ideas out there.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    No harm no foul. I don't know, honestly. I could be doing something without paying attention that caused it. I will Google search now.

Thanks!

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    I have a few pt92 mags that i know work; if you would lkke to borrow them pm me. For folks reading yhis on the interwebz; they are less than 10 rds.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It shouldn't be a decocker since the pistol fires without a mag in it, unless the top rear of the mag is too high causing interference with the decock parts. But I believe these pistols do not have a decocker. They have a safety lever and human action is required to decock the hammer as one would a revolver.

Light strikes indicate hammer travel is blocked or it is impeded during movement reducing momentum needed to adequately impact the primer.

It is magazine related somehow since the malfunction only occurs with the mag inserted. Look on the back, sides and front of the mag body. Look for bright spots or dings about even with where the trigger bar (or bow) and the lockwork are. If there are this would indicate interference between the mag and the adjacent parts cause interference with hammer dropping.

Is it possible this pistol has a magazine safety and it has a lever in backwards causing it to operate opposite as it is intended?

Last edited:

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    light primer strikes? when you cleaned it last by any chance did you see any bits of brass in there?

had a 9mm of a different maker that had a well, "aggressive" extractor that would chew up the brass and the brass bits would foul the weapon over time

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I am taking the pistol to the range tomorrow to try new brass in it. I will see if it was just wrong ammo. It's a 9*19 but I'm wondering if the wolf was 9*18

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    I have a Taurus 92 with a lot of rounds through it and I sometimes have that happen to mine. You need to clean the firing pin housing really well. Spray a good degreaser into the firing pin hole to flush out any impediments. Repeat this action a few times until you feel it is pretty clean. Usually that will have mine running well.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    With the pistol empty/unloaded...slide the lock back and lock it, can you push the firing pin from the back of the slide and see how much it protrudes or if its sticking? Or take the slide off and try it...there might be a button you have to push on the bottom of the slide to allow it to move, push that down and then with a pen or brass punch see if the firing pin moves/slides freely...could be some foreign material in there hanging up the firing pin.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Take the same ammo and mag to the range. Slingshot it to feed ammo.
    Empty chamber slide locked back and then rack. Smack the back of the slide to MAKE SURE it goes into battery. Press trigger on Single action.
    From there should go boom. If go boom trigger/hammer problem. Repeat process from beginning. After doing this place EMPTY magazine in magwell. It should lock back if it doesn't the ammo isn't enough to cycle slide and reset trigger.
    If no boom. Rack slide ONLY ENOUGH to reset trigger and try again SINGLE action.
    If boom problem is in ammo hard primer. Or weak firing pin or hammer spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom