• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    So i'm starting my newest build and ordered the STR build kit from PSA. I went to install the stock on the buffer tube and i can't for the life of me get it to lock into place. Has anyone else had this problem with the STR kit? They gave me a dummy round that is supposed to be used to align the stock when installing but it almost seems that maybe PSA provided the wrong buffer tube....

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's not the wrong buffer tube. The locking system on the STR and CTR is a huge PITA. I could never get the dummy round to work.

If you can at least get the stock started on the buffer tube, and you work the adjustment lever, you'll see that the lever pushes against something. What you gotta do is jam something (I used an Allen key) in there and crank the lever. That should get you enough "space" to slide it over the end of the buffer tube.

Found a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj4vAno_h5A

Check around 3:40 or so. The lever pushes the black metal pin down, but not enough for you to get the stock over the end of the buffer tube. I'm not strong enough to pull the pin down any further than the lever can crank it, so I crank the lever, then hold the pin down while I release the lever and jam my Allen key between the lever and pin. Then I release the pin, and the Allen key gives me enough leverage to crank the lever and get the stock over the end of the buffer tube.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a CTR & ACS-L. Just pull the pin down w/ your fingers. Its not hard (I'm not a big guy) though I can see how some w/o as much finger strength or small hands could have difficulty.

ArchAngel78

Feb 28, 2010
    I just put on a ACS-L last night on a mil-spec buffer tube from PSA. It was a bit of PITA but I managed to do it without any tools. Once it is started you really have to pull down on the bar that moves the lock tab. It took me a couple of times to get it.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    If you can't pull it down with your fingers, you could also pry it down with a flat head screw driver.

SSDD

Dec 18, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    I've only read of one person getting the dummy round to work as expected. The method that huesmann pointed out seems to be the way to go.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've only read of one person getting the dummy round to work as expected. The method that huesmann pointed out seems to be the way to go.

Make that 2 people. Although I did shear the end off of one of the dummy rounds before I got it to work.

If you have a dud round laying around, use it, it works better than the plastic dummy round.

ecampo

Mar 3, 2008
    I got mine on with the dummy round but it would be much easier to just use a screw driver to pry it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom