• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I always warn first time shooters about this when I explain the "always keep the gun pointed down range" rule

I tell them that there is a chance this could happen and to remain calm and keep the gun pointed down range

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    its amazing how quickly a fun day at the range can turn into an emergency situation if proper safety rules aren't strictly adhered to. I've always told my female friends to wear proper attire to a shooting range; wear a sweatshirt if its cold outside, not low-cut exposing tops. Even so ... hot brass from a .22?? Hot brass from a .308 or .223 isn't all that hot. Makes me wonder about the attitude she was taking during the session.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    Sounds like he's protecting her for some reason. And if he's an RO, he ought to know what is and is not proper clothing.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Even so ... hot brass from a .22?? Hot brass from a .308 or .223 isn't all that hot. Makes me wonder about the attitude she was taking during the session.

.22 brass is the hottest of all that I have felt.I think it is because it is smaller, so it is able to heat up more quickly. Other brass gets hot, but .22 is the worst I've felt.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    its amazing how quickly a fun day at the range can turn into an emergency situation if proper safety rules aren't strictly adhered to. I've always told my female friends to wear proper attire to a shooting range; wear a sweatshirt if its cold outside, not low-cut exposing tops. Even so ... hot brass from a .22?? Hot brass from a .308 or .223 isn't all that hot. Makes me wonder about the attitude she was taking during the session.

.22 is hot enough to cause second degree blistering. IME ladies are NOT pleased with a cleavage burn. :innocent0

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    .22 brass is the hottest of all that I have felt.I think it is because it is smaller, so it is able to heat up more quickly. Other brass gets hot, but .22 is the worst I've felt.

huh ... I guess I've just never found it to be that hot. I guess if it goes directly from the chamber to the cleavage then it could be a game changer. Clearly not something I've experienced, although I've had a range neighbor's .22 brass go down the collar of my shirt onto my neck and I don't remember it bothering me all that much. Maybe it differs for others. :shrug:

I still wonder where he was standing and how aware he was of her shooting.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    wife was shooting her 22/45 and the brass bounced off the partition between the lanes and landed inside of her shooting glasses and rested (briefly) on her cheek. Guess what happened next time she shot it...must be a southpaw thing.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    My late wife caught a hot 45acp brass in the old cleavage funnel. After the fact, she thought it was funny. btw she was watching my shoot after work one night at an indoor range.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I got burned by 22 brass many years ago at Cresap, when they were in there old location down the road from where they are now.

My brother was shooting his S&W 22 target pistol - I was next to him. The brass hit the deflector glass, bounced & landed down my neck, amd down my back. I was wearing a winter coat, and it went right down the back of my shirt, and branded a nice T on my back, lol.

22 do get hot when put enough rounds down range.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    That is one reason I bought the whole family MDS T-shirts, and that is what they wear when I take them to the range. Besides it cool.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    wife was shooting her 22/45 and the brass bounced off the partition between the lanes and landed inside of her shooting glasses and rested (briefly) on her cheek. Guess what happened next time she shot it...must be a southpaw thing.

This exact thing happened to me.

It was unpleasent but you have to have the presence of mind to handle your firearm safely at all times. Makes me wonder how much instruction the girl got before her boyfriend let her loose.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I tell my lady friends that if it happens, immediately remove their shirt and bra to prevent burns. Waiting for the first time to see if it works.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom