• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I could never seem to get the bore of my M44 clean, so I was looking around on various C&R sites for info on getting this old bore looking new.

Came across a site that recommended Sweet's 7.62 Solvent. On the bottle, it says "Removes fouling from jacketed bullets/propellant." Sounds like any other cleaner, but this stuff is different. It's a clear, almost gel-like substance that has a strong smell of ammonia (great for that corrosive ammo).

You swab the bore with this stuff, and the patch comes out blue when there is copper fouling or corrosive salts still in there. The instructions say to swab the bore for a full minute before pulling the patch. If you do it right, a frothy kind of foam gets worked up and sits in the bore for a few seconds until you can wipe it clean with a new patch. I only had to run about 4 or 5 soaked patches before they stopped turning blue, and my clean patches were coming out bone dry and totally white.

I must have put at least 15 soaked patches of Hoppes #9 through on my initial cleaning of this rifle. I recommend the Sweet's 7.62 Solvent to any shooter of corrosive ammo, or a C&R rifle in need of a good bore cleaning.

Here it is at MidwayUSA: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=643582

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom