Process required to purchase 1st Handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I did some looking thru the forums, and even used the search tool, but I could not find a guide telling us noobs the steps required to be ready,paperwork wise to make our first purchase go smoothly. I do have my hunters safety course card, and I completed the MSP online hand gun safety course and mailed in the paperwork. Whats next?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Pay for it. Fill out the 4473 and MD 77R. Wait and envision all the glorious adventures you and your new best friend are gonna have.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    I figured the shop would know, I just wanted to have an idea ahead of time so I would not feel, welll like a noob :)

As long as you are dealing with a reputable shop, there is nothing wrong with telling them that you have never done this before. Practice printing very clearly.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    To make it even worse some shops have different requirements. When I bought my Beretta from Bass Pro I showed them my Military ID, Ohio Driver's License, and Orders for Andrews. That established that I was a Maryland resident. Then I filled out the paperwork and life was good. When I bought my Glock 21 from MSAR they wanted all the above and utility bills for three months prior. That way I can establish that I was a Maryland resident. I bet they're more stringent because PG county has a bit of a crime problem. If you have a Maryland Driver's License it probably makes the process a bit easier. If you want to make absolutely sure you have all the paperwork I would recommend bringing your Maryland DL with your current address, utility bills for the past few months that have your name and address on them, and the certificate you got for taking the online safety course. Some shops don't require the utility bills to prove residence. Don't be afraid to ask questions that make you look like a noob. We've all been there. IPs will steer you in the right direction for your new purchase.
    Don't forget to envision the adventures you and your new best friend are going to have while you wait for the MSP to not disapprove you. It would typically take around 7 days. But with the current backlog, who knows how long it'll take.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    MD drivers license and the online safety course card should be all you need.

Jan 14, 2013
    Millersville, MD
    If you are a MD resident, take your MD drivers license. If you do not have your current address on it, then bring a government issued document with your current address. also bring your MSP safety card or your hunters safety card if you got it after 2002.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom