• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakbob

Oct 13, 2014
    Glen Burnie
    hey, hey, hey :)

do you have any tips for hand fitting a ambi safety? my only concern is the edge that if take too much off of, or at the wrong angle, it pretty much makes the safety useless. i believe it is what engages the... disconnect? or the sear. cant remember which.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That it will - render it useless. So slow is the keyword, small needle file is used followed by a nail or polishing board or stone.

Typically a mark, file and try method is used with the plunger detents and spring left out of the tube. Once the safety is ensured or fitted to allow full rotational movement installed in the frame, mark the thumb safety lug which blocks the sear with a permanent marker or Sharpie. Install the TS and attempt to engage it. Remove and look for the shiny mark where the marker was removed. Just 'kiss' the shiny area a couple strokes with the needle file.

Hint: looking through the grip safety area toward the TS stud will allow you to observe your progress.

Remark, try, file in steps until the TS will just engage (without being forced) and block sear movement without any sear movement allowed when engaged.

Then use a stone or polishing board to just smooth out the filed area. Install the plunger detents and spring and operate TS to ensure long or damaged pins do not interfere with operation. Repair, reshape, shorten and/or smooth as needed.

Do safety checks: push TS in 'Safe' position, pull the trigger, hammer should not move nor drop. Push safety to off position, hammer should not drop. If tests pass, check fit accuracy: hammer back, TS to 'Safe', pull trigger THEN pull back hammerg - a light click (sear reset) should not be heard. If a click is heard, you filed too much off, the louder the click the more over filing was done.

Reinstall grip safety.

Hammer hook position, trigger bow length,disconnector, sear length all effect thumb safety fit so do those first if you plan on changing any of it.

jakbob

Oct 13, 2014
    Glen Burnie
    That it will - render it useless. So slow is the keyword, small needle file is used followed by a nail or polishing board or stone.

Typically a mark, file and try method is used with the plunger detents and spring left out of the tube. Once the safety is ensured or fitted to allow full rotational movement installed in the frame, mark the thumb safety lug which blocks the sear with a permanent marker or Sharpie. Install the TS and attempt to engage it. Remove and look for the shiny mark where the marker was removed. Just 'kiss' the shiny area a couple strokes with the needle file.

Hint: looking through the grip safety area toward the TS stud will allow you to observe your progress.

Remark, try, file in steps until the TS will just engage (without being forced) and block sear movement without any sear movement allowed when engaged.

Then use a stone or polishing board to just smooth out the filed area. Install the plunger detents and spring and operate TS to ensure long or damaged pins do not interfere with operation. Repair, reshape, shorten and/or smooth as needed.

Do safety checks: push TS in 'Safe' position, pull the trigger, hammer should not move nor drop. Push safety to off position, hammer should not drop. If tests pass, check fit accuracy: hammer back, TS to 'Safe', pull trigger THEN pull back hammerg - a light click (sear reset) should not be heard. If a click is heard, you filed too much off, the louder the click the more over filing was done.

Reinstall grip safety.

Hammer hook position, trigger bow length,disconnector, sear length all effect thumb safety fit so do those first if you plan on changing any of it.

See? this is why I brought it back. I was 99% sure on what to do, but had no idea about the sharpie idea. Thanks.

jakbob

Oct 13, 2014
    Glen Burnie
    No problemo!

See? All that hooplah for nothing. The safety came in yesterday, so of course I went out before hand to make sure I had any and all files I would need, so I wouldn't run into ANY issues...

and all I had to do was elongate the tear drop for the plunger. I mean, it could have been WAY worse, but the quality of the WC BP ambi (it looks like it is straight CNC'd, not like the other WC ambi safety I had, it looked like a cast) is amazing.

It dropped right in, functioned perfectly, no slop, no "crap, why does the safety disengage when I pull the trigger" nonsense. It is weird. I'm sure I will have it apart again tonight, to tinker and fine-tune it.

Definitely do not regret dropping that $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom