• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Agree. That stripped lower has a serial number registered in my name. If I sell it, I darn sure want to make sure said serial number goes with the buyer.

Haven't you read the posts.

MD logs TRANSFERS.

It even if it is sold 100 times via a form 77, your name will pop up if they run the serial number.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Haven't you read the posts.

MD logs TRANSFERS.

It even if it is sold 100 times via a form 77, your name will pop up if they run the serial number.
    I must have missed the transfer log post. As for form 77, many on here were saying it’s cash and carry. You need a 77 for cash and carry?

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Battered Gun Owner Syndrome.

MSP is NOT required to remove the firearm from your list when you sell it, it is a list of transfers, what don't people get about that? You bought it, or inherited it, therefore it was transferred to you, and listed as such. If you get rid of the firearm in state, it is transferred to the next person and MSP shows the transfer to them. Just because you got rid of it does not mean that the transfer to you disappears.
    Ok, this post I missed. My mistake. I get it now. So what form do you use to transfer? A standard 77R?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I must have missed the transfer log post. As for form 77, many on here were saying it’s cash and carry. You need a 77 for cash and carry?

You stated that if it came to you on a 77r, and you sold it, you wanted it removed from your record.

THAT is what I was answering.

No, cash and carry does not go on a 77r.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    How does the state even know what you’ve built a lower as ?

Kind of something you’ll know but nobody else will.

Making a mental note, this may come in handy when they try and ban "Assault Pistols" in Maryland....

Oh that thing???? I sold that rifle years ago........

:innocent0

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    After you build it into a rifle...absolutely nothing.
    You’re confusing me. You say “it is transferred to the next person and MSP shows the transfer to them,” but there is no form if a rifle. So how does MSP record the transfer? What am I missing?

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    I just sold a AR-15 rifle to a buddy last Sunday.
    Went to his home, showed him how to operate it,
    Bill of sale , cash, very easy !

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You’re confusing me. You say “it is transferred to the next person and MSP shows the transfer to them,” but there is no form if a rifle. So how does MSP record the transfer? What am I missing?

You really need to learn how to read a thread instead of taking comments from parts of a thread. The comment I made, that you are complaining about, referred to a handgun transfer, and it wasn't even directed at you. If you are going to comment on something, make sure you read the entire conversation between two people that you are not a part of.

For reference, here is my original comment about the transfer staying with you, and talking about HANDGUNS......https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=6224269&postcount=18

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    You really need to learn how to read a thread instead of taking comments from parts of a thread. The comment I made, that you are complaining about, referred to a handgun transfer, and it wasn't even directed at you. If you are going to comment on something, make sure you read the entire conversation between two people that you are not a part of.

For reference, here is my original comment about the transfer staying with you, and talking about HANDGUNS......https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=6224269&postcount=18
    I read the post/thread correctly and you have clearly contradicted yourself. So don’t act like I’m the one that is confusing things here. You quoted my post, so you were clearly speaking to me. So my question still stands, how is the serial number transferred if the sale is cash and carry. Simple question, or is that too difficult for you? I understand my name shows up as the original transferee, but you have said a couple of times that MSP shows a transfer for the sale.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I read the post/thread correctly and you have clearly contradicted yourself. So don’t act like I’m the one that is confusing things here. You quoted my post, so you were clearly speaking to me. So my question still stands, how is the serial number transferred if the sale is cash and carry. Simple question, or is that too difficult for you? I understand my name shows up as the original transferee, but you have said a couple of times that MSP shows a transfer for the sale.
    When you buy a gun or gun part that requires a 77r, you are 'listed' as the original owner of said part. If you sell it face to face(which in most cases is still legal), a search on that serial number will trace back to you as the original owner. Always. That doesn't mean you still own it. It only means you bought it first.
    If I have that right.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    When you buy a gun or gun part that requires a 77r, you are 'listed' as the original owner of said part. If you sell it face to face(which in most cases is still legal), a search on that serial number will trace back to you as the original owner. Always. That doesn't mean you still own it. It only means you bought it first.
    If I have that right.
    Thank you outrider58. That explanation makes perfect sense. Maybe I just have to hear it several times before it hits home.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Yep, you're confused, my first reply that the serial number is transferred was for handguns (Go read it again).

My answer to you was for rifles.

Both answers are correct, for the firearms concerned.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If I have that right.

That would be correct.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

They don't.

You just tell them you sold it.

If you are concerned, do a bill of sale with the buyer putting info and signing.

The same thing if you bought a rifle from a dealer (logged in their bound book and on the 4473) and then sold it FTF.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Only for handguns, and in the past, regulated long guns.

But again, if you buy a rifle from a dealer, the sale is recorded. If you sell it, there is no record of that sale (at least not now).

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Yep, you're confused, my first reply that the serial number is transferred was for handguns (Go read it again).

My answer to you was for rifles.

Both answers are correct, for the firearms concerned.
    Got it now. Thanks. Sorry for mixing handguns and rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom