• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Hey guys. I have had a lot going on in my life and haven't been in the forum nor reloading for quite a while, I've moved to the Shenandoah Valley and love it.

My son is interested in getting started in reloading.

Did the current primer start with the Pandemic?

Is Bob at Maryland ReloaderR still around?

Thanks

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sent you a PM. I will say that with the primer shortage the cost of ammo and reloads is pretty close
    Huh, what? No it isn’t.

9mm is 9-10c a primer, use range brass or reuse for effectively free, 6-8 cents for the bullet, about 2-3 cents for the powder. That’s maybe 20 cents a round.

Cheapest I can find loaded ammo is 30 cents a round for 9mm.

So 2/3rds the price. Pre-pandemic the lowest you could reload 9mm for without casting your own was around 12 cents a round against about 14 cents a round for steel case ammo and maybe 16 cents for brass.

Most other calibers there is a greater cost savings than that. You do have to weigh it against the cost of the equipment and your time if you are looking to save money. Basic reloading setup with a lee Classic turret press is maybe about $500 all up (I’ve probably spent $1500 on my entire reloading setup).

That’s around 5000 rounds of 9mm. Probably about 3000 rounds of 45acp. Maybe 2500 of 5.56 right now.

Some boutique calibers and you can save that $500 in 300-500 rounds.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Reloading, even at current component prices, is still less expensive than buying, and you get better ammo for your money, especially if you're pointedly buying the cheapest stuff you can find.

I scored several hundred rounds of 223 brass this weekend with range pickup - for things you are likely to shoot more of anyway - especially 9mm and 223 - brass is essentially free. For all of the 5.56/223 I've shot outside of my military time, I've actually paid for exactly 100 rounds of it. Everything else I have shot and currently have in my house is a reload.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Huh, what? No it isn’t.

9mm is 9-10c a primer, use range brass or reuse for effectively free, 6-8 cents for the bullet, about 2-3 cents for the powder. That’s maybe 20 cents a round.

So 2/3rds the price. Pre-pandemic the lowest you could reload 9mm for without casting your own was around 12 cents a round against about 14 cents a round for steel case ammo and maybe 16 cents for brass.

Most other calibers there is a greater cost savings than that. You do have to weigh it against the cost of the equipment and your time if you are looking to save money. Basic reloading setup with a lee Classic turret press is maybe about $500 all up (I’ve probably spent $1500 on my entire reloading setup).

That’s around 5000 rounds of 9mm. Probably about 3000 rounds of 45acp. Maybe 2500 of 5.56 right now.

If you cast bullets, you can get one pound (7,000 grains) of lead for $3 (rough eBay check - I’m sure you can do better). That’s 47 147gr bullets, so that’s $0.06/bullet.

I know free lead is tough to get, but I’ll still get eBay lead every now and then. They can cram about 30 pounds in the $8 flat rate boxes.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you cast bullets, you can get one pound (7,000 grains) of lead for $3 (rough eBay check - I’m sure you can do better). That’s 47 147gr bullets, so that’s $0.06/bullet - save an additional $0.14 per round.

I know free lead is tough to get, but I’ll still get eBay lead every now and then. They can cram about 30 pounds in the $8 flat rate boxes.
    You can definitely do better on the price of lead.

That said, it’s easy enough to find coated cast 9mm bullets for around 8 cents a bullet for 147gr 9mm bullets. So at $3 a pound you are barely saving any money.

Even FMJ can be found for around 10 cents a bullet and well less for some good deals. 20 cents a bullet is approaching some real premium bullets.

The 20 cents a round is for all components, which today half of that is the primer.

It makes me cry. Especially my 32s. I am using 100gr FPRNFMJ I’ve scored at between under 5 up to about 7 cents a bullet. I did buy some brass, but half of what I am using is range brass and spent brass from commercial loads I’ve shot.

Powder cost is basically free. I am dropping 1.7gr a round of BE. That is slightly under a penny a round.

So from 5.5-8 cents a round loaded. If I wanted to cast bullets it would be more like 3 cents a round with 71gr bullets

Oh, oops, plus a 10 cent primer. Now most of my primers I got for less than that a primer, but that is about the going rate.

So around 15-18 cents a round for 32acp. Compared to about 20 cents for 9mm. About the same 20 cents for 38spc. 45acp is a bit more at around 26-28cpr loaded. It’s a lot more lead and copper, a bit more powder.

223 for just basic blasting stuff is about 33 cents a round.

Before the fall, I mean pandemic that was more like 12 cents for 9mm and 25 cents for .223.

So for reloading 9mm it’s jumped around 80%. For .223 it has only jumped about 40%.

The problem when primers have basically tripled and pistol calibers being largely bullet cost which has only gone up a small amount. Powder has also gone up a fair amount, but most powders have only gone up maybe 20-30% (some have doubled).

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You can definitely do better on the price of lead.

That said, it’s easy enough to find coated cast 9mm bullets for around 8 cents a bullet for 147gr 9mm bullets. So at $3 a pound you are barely saving any money.

Even FMJ can be found for around 10 cents a bullet and well less for some good deals. 20 cents a bullet is approaching some real premium bullets.
    I recently loaded a bunch of 50 gr Hornady VMax that I managed to find for $17/box of 100, so 17¢ a bullet - pretty decent given how good they seem to be. They may not be Sierra or Barnes, but they get the job done for what I want them to do, although to be fair, the typical cost per box on those seems to be around $20-$21.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I recently loaded a bunch of 50 gr Hornady VMax that I managed to find for $17/box of 100, so 17¢ a bullet - pretty decent given how good they seem to be. They may not be Sierra or Barnes, but they get the job done for what I want them to do, although to be fair, the typical cost per box on those seems to be around $20-$21.
    Depending on why you want to load and for why, try checking out RMR 69gr bullets. I’ve found they are extremely accurate and I think they are around 16-17 cents a bullet all day long per 1k. No shipping or tax.

They also sometimes have deals on other people’s stuff they get in.

I can usually find generic 55gr FMJ for 9-10 cents a bullet depending on how hard I am looking. Though both my ARs have a strong preference for 62gr and heavier.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    the 50 grainers are for a 1:12 match barrel on my souped-up prairie dog gun build.

5A8E9123-9DBE-49C5-BE0C-461FF75D94A7.jpeg

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Huh, what? No it isn’t.

I haven’t bought any primers recently but last time I bought my breakdown was $0.12 primer $0.10 bullet (plated) $0.03 powder and $0.05 case. So $0.30/rd if you buy brass.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not that hard to get the primers and bullets 1-2 cents each cheaper. And the cases should be free unless you aren’t collecting from the range or chasing your own down.

There are several good hand held brass catchers if you happen to shoot on a public range.

For 9mm, brass should be “free”. Give or take.

Most 9mm is going to be 32-33cpr shipped (generally plus tax) for a good deal. I have seen it as low as 30CPR shipped.

Of course same with the reloading. Most can reload at under 25cpr with some work. Some can push it down around 20cpr.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I haven’t bought any primers recently but last time I bought my breakdown was $0.12 primer $0.10 bullet (plated) $0.03 powder and $0.05 case. So $0.30/rd if you buy brass.
    I'm running about 10c per primer, 3c per mixed range brass, 2c for the powder (4.2gr TG; ($30/7000gr)*4.2gr), and maybe 7c per bullet (LOS 124 FMJs from American Reloading). That's 22cpr for full power FMJ loads. (And the primer costs have been going down, thankfully... I'm under 10 cents a primer these days.)

I think I'm saving money reloading these days, as long as discount my time. :P 8cpr adds up fast at 7.5k-10k rounds a year.

I have like three different kinds of .224 bullets that need loading (62gr TBBCs, 69gr RMRs, 77gr Noslers) after I'm done with my 55gr, but I have to admit I am intrigued by the 75gr RMRs.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm running about 10c per primer, 3c per mixed range brass, 2c for the powder (4.2gr TG; ($30/7000gr)*4.2gr), and maybe 7c per bullet (LOS 124 FMJs from American Reloading). That's 22cpr for full power FMJ loads. (And the primer costs have been going down, thankfully... I'm under 10 cents a primer these days.)

I think I'm saving money reloading these days, as long as discount my time. :P 8cpr adds up fast at 7.5k-10k rounds a year.

I have like three different kinds of .224 bullets that need loading (62gr TBBCs, 69gr RMRs, 77gr Noslers) after I'm done with my 55gr, but I have to admit I am intrigued by the 75gr RMRs.
    So you are the guy who is buying 20k LOS bullets from American and they disappear in days…

In fairness I’ve been buying a bunch of their .312 100gr bullets. Especially with the steep discount they just added (staring at two boxes of 4K sitting on my porch right now).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So you are the guy who is buying 20k LOS bullets from American and they disappear in days…

In fairness I’ve been buying a bunch of their .312 100gr bullets. Especially with the steep discount they just added (staring at two boxes of 4K sitting on my porch right now).
    Ha, I only buy 3-4k at a time. I've regretted that once in a while (as you say, supply issues can temporarily be a problem), but I try to space things out as I can. The LOS bullets are just awesome, though. My bullet buying looks like:

9mm: LOS 124gr FMJ (prev Summit City 124 coated)
    38/357: RMR 147gr FMJ
    45 Auto: LOS 230gr FMJ
    223: RMR 55gr FMJ (but this may change soon)
    308 / 300BLK super: Xtreme 147gr FMJ
    300BLK subs: Eggleston Munitions 200gr coated

I moved heavily off of coated for pistols once I started shooting more with compensators.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I typically buy bullets 500 at a time - sometimes 1000. It just depends on the source and the price. There will come a point - hopefully when there are no shortages and prices are lower - where I'll shoot more and therefore I'll buy in larger quantities, but for now I'm keeping pretty well supplied.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I typically buy bullets 500 at a time - sometimes 1000. It just depends on the source and the price. There will come a point - hopefully when there are no shortages and prices are lower - where I'll shoot more and therefore I'll buy in larger quantities, but for now I'm keeping pretty well supplied.
    I am trying to be good. But several places have had very intriguing things for stupid prices. American had 230gr .451 streak cold tracers for I think 12 cents a bullet for 1k recently. Well heck, I can get FMJ 230gr for that normally. So I bought some even though I was done by bullets.

Then they had some Nosler E-tip all copper 120gr .264 bullets for about 21 cents a pop. Well hell’s bells again! I can’t find the cheapest .264 bullets for less than about 26-28cpb. And these are full up copper monolithic hunting bullets for 80% of the cost of FMJ. Yes I’ll take a bunch!

That kind of stuff. Now it’s my poor Tokarev and 32acp fetish. Both have been pains in my butt getting loads to work and I found the 100gr .312 FPRNFMJ American has been carry will work in a load for my 32s and works in a load for my M57 Tokarev. So yeah I’ll take a bunch. And recently they had it marked down to 4.8cpb with discount codes shipped to my door.

So I had grabbed a couple thou when it was around 7cpb. And I just got 4K more. Because heck, why not. It works for both cartridges (my M57 is a .312 barrel, not a .308 barrel like most Toks). I’d just finished testing 100gr .312 loads in both of my 32acp pistols and a 7.62x25 load for my M57 Tok and all ran great.

71gr .312 FMJ lately has run around 16 cents a bullet if I can find it. I scored a few hundred at 11 cents a bullet and about 800 more at about 16cpb. haven’t tried it in 7.62x25, but I don’t think it’ll work how I have to seat it in the case. 85gr .308 does not load in the cases well and does not shoot well in my M57.

I can’t run lead or coated lead and plated doesn’t work well. My Cz50 slams the bullet nose in to the feed ramp and anything softer than an FMJ tends to deform and jam. Or I have to download the magazines to 5 or 6 rounds to run reliable. I do have some Berry’s 71gr plated left.

Sorry, long tangent. I am mostly trying to stop buying bullets and focusing on loading up what I have.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Talking 9mm here, so.. brass is free, just pick it up at the range. Primers, let's say .10/rd, 3.2gr titegroup is sipping powder, so let's say a few cents per round there, we're up to .13 per round. Now bullets, I typically jump on the rare sales that xtreme has, they shoot good for me and are plated or better (they have some self-defense bullets now, though I have not tested them yet on gel), they ran me .08/rd last time I bought 1500 (RN, not self defense), so we are up to .21/rd with factory bullets. I load 147gr 9m exclusively.

I have enough lead from scrounging wheel shops over the years to make cast bullets, jigs, weights, whatever for a good while for free. I have the lead, molds and can coat them, so I can load cast loads for less than $ .15/rd for any of my various pistol and even a few rifle calibers, though the powder cost will be slightly increased for any/all of the others.. lol

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Oh crap this reminds me I need to get muzzleloader primers and a vent hole pick for my breech plug…..muzzleloader season starts 10/20 this year!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Oh crap this reminds me I need to get muzzleloader primers and a vent hole pick for my breech plug…..muzzleloader season starts 10/20 this year!
    OP Here. I didn't ask what reloading costs, but it will be useful information for my son, who wants to reload for his 223 and maybe 9mm.

I used to go prairie dog hunting every year and this is my 3rd or 4th primer shortage. After the second shortage I bought primers by the 5000 count. Bullets too. I know I never paid $100 for 1000 primers but personally I probably have a lifetime supply.

When the pandemic started, and people started talking ammo shortage, I went to the local gun store and there were .32 H&R and 45 ACP Rimmed. That was it no rifle or rimfire ammo. There was some powder, I didn't use and some bullet. Eventually all the powder and bullets disappeared.

Ammo made a comeback. So did bullets. I wasn't looking for powder, so I don't know DId it reappear then disappear, or has it always been in short supply since Orange Man?

Is ReloaderR still in business?

Thanks.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ammo made a comeback. So did bullets. I wasn't looking for powder, so I don't know DId it reappear then disappear, or has it always been in short supply since Orange Man?

Is ReloaderR still in business?

Thanks.
    Powder is available pretty readily - it's more expensive than it used to be, and you can't always get specifically what your want - got instance I'm on the hunt for Benchmark and can't find it, but I can find plenty of alternatives for 223:

AA2230
    TAC
    CFE223
    BLC2
    4895 in a pinch

It just depends on what you want. I was looking for 2400 for 357 Mag, and it took a good long bit before I found some, and then I paid waaaaay too much for it because I wanted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom