• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • accce

Jul 19, 2011
    Oh come on...if the lady can hold the gun on target for 12-15 rounds then I'm sure recoil will be an issue.

Not knocking her...but lets use some common sense and try and make shooting the most comfortable we can.

I realize 9mm doesnt have much recoil...but to me and you the weight of a full size gun isnt going to cause pain while shooting either.

There is no common sense when it comes to women! Get her a cap gun and when she does not hit the target tell her her aim is off.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I would say a lot of these suggestions are nice guns, like the LC9, Shield, Nano, etc but they're designed to be compact concealed carry firearms. I dont know how much fun she would have using it consistently as a range gun. Moreover, for home defense, a pistol does not have to be compact and you are typically sacrificing capacity for a smaller size when its totally unnecessary in most cases. My opinion boss would be a polymer framed pistol to cut on weight, such as the Glock 17/19 or the Smith Wesson M&P 9, even a P30 (extremely comfortable) if cost isnt an issue. Bring her in next time you come in and she can try out a few piece and see what feels best.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Glock 19. Skip the pocket guns.

Dont get me wrong, I love my Gen3 G19. But it might not be the best choice for a woman with small hands. The grip can still be a challenge for someone with small hands to get a secure hold of. Maybe the Gen4 would be different.

Anyways, thats why I think the M&P Shield would be a great choice for the OP's wife. Its not a pocket gun, but its also slightly smaller than most compacts. Its slimmer due to its single stack design. The slimmer grip of the Shield would be great for someone with small hands. Its not to small, but not to big. Reliable, easy to clean, and a nice trigger.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    This young gal likes the grip on her S&W M&P9c Compact better than a Glock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPKyvdI3z68

and also her S&W M&P Shield 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu9GB35lQcU&feature=plcp

She's a great shooter. I subscribe to her channel on YT. She's one tough chick too. Shoots in sub-zero temps and does a lot of outdoor stuff.

I've been watching her vids for awhile now and one thing she's always had a problem with is finding a gun she can get a secure grip on. She's got small hands and has been through a bunch of firearms trying to find ones that work for her. I've PM'd back and forth with her a couple times and so far she likes the following models: PPQ, M&Pc, Shield, and she recently got a Nano that she likes also. She's got an LCR that she carries now and then too.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Perhaps I was not clear. I was discussing the potential for slide bite and the distance between the top of the grip and the slide.

I'm thinking she needs a full sized polymer pistol, or maybe even better a .22LR or .22WMR revolver, till she gets back to enjoying shooting, and has something that is ultra reliable and reasonable for self defense.

I would say a lot of these suggestions are nice guns, like the LC9, Shield, Nano, etc but they're designed to be compact concealed carry firearms. I dont know how much fun she would have using it consistently as a range gun. Moreover, for home defense, a pistol does not have to be compact and you are typically sacrificing capacity for a smaller size when its totally unnecessary in most cases. My opinion boss would be a polymer framed pistol to cut on weight, such as the Glock 17/19 or the Smith Wesson M&P 9, even a P30 (extremely comfortable) if cost isnt an issue. Bring her in next time you come in and she can try out a few piece and see what feels best.

Great advice. :)

----

Last edited:

CEK

Oct 7, 2012
    Let her try a Sig 239. My wife had a 228 then a 225. She has small hands and likes this one the best so far.

Blake_7.62

Oct 17, 2010
    So now the question is, how many rounds through it, and how much do you want to sell it for?

-Blake

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom