Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joppaj
    Never. After I load the magazine, I chamber the round and then eject the mag to top it off. As long as there's a round missing from the mag, I know where it is.

Yeah, but what if you get into something that requires brain power and a lot of time has passed since you topped off your mag.
    You grab the gun and eject the mag, it's full, you might then assume that the chamber is empty when in fact the gun is ready to fire. No offense to either of you, but that seems like it could lead to an accident.

I like always press check. :thumbsup:

The gun I keep loaded with one in the chamber that I'm speaking of is my duty weapon. The only time it's taken out is when I'm transfering it from off duty to duty holster or locking it up. The only time it's unloaded is during qualifying...otherwise it's loaded and ready to go.
    I understand what you were saying but if you treat that gun like it's loaded, regardless of what condition it may or may not be in, there will never be an issue. When I'm loading or unloading the gun, my focus is on that gun, nothing else.....the world can wait 20 seconds for my attention.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I always press check whenever i come across a firearm that's been out of my immediate control. If im home and decide to carry either my p99 or pf9 around(now the pf9 is on my hip), I press check every time it leaves my sight. An example would be if I take off my gun to take a shower, then come back to get it when my pj's are on. It was never unloaded....by me.....as far as i remember. Those last two things give press-checking credibility to me to absolutely ensure if someone crashes through my sliding glass door, my gun will go "bang" and not "click".

As for people relying on loaded chamber indicators....especially the ruger sr9 and xd designs....they fail. Shoot enough to get that thing all boogered up with carbon and fouling and it'll give you a false-positive. Press checking only gives you a false-positive if somehow you've got fired brass in the chamber. Again, i wouldn't want to feel an xd's chamber loaded indicator sticking up and then hear a "click" when i needed it because i was too lazy to do a 1-second press on my firearm.

As 3rd mentioned, a good smack on the rear of the slide(or hit on the forward-assist) always follows the press to ensure it's loaded AND in battery if i need it.

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    Only .mil and LEO should do press checks:rolleyes:

Always feel as if I could not see because it's dark or my eyes are busy assessing.

But hey, I don't know shit..

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I always press check whenever i come across a firearm that's been out of my immediate control. If im home and decide to carry either my p99 or pf9 around(now the pf9 is on my hip), I press check every time it leaves my sight. An example would be if I take off my gun to take a shower, then come back to get it when my pj's are on. It was never unloaded....by me.....as far as i remember. Those last two things give press-checking credibility to me to absolutely ensure if someone crashes through my sliding glass door, my gun will go "bang" and not "click".

As for people relying on loaded chamber indicators....especially the ruger sr9 and xd designs....they fail. Shoot enough to get that thing all boogered up with carbon and fouling and it'll give you a false-positive. Press checking only gives you a false-positive if somehow you've got fired brass in the chamber. Again, i wouldn't want to feel an xd's chamber loaded indicator sticking up and then hear a "click" when i needed it because i was too lazy to do a 1-second press on my firearm.

As 3rd mentioned, a good smack on the rear of the slide(or hit on the forward-assist) always follows the press to ensure it's loaded AND in battery if i need it.

NICELY STATED!!!! i'm not sure how everyone stores their firearms, if they store their CCW, duty or HD Firearm combat ready. Regardless, its takes 3 seconds to PRESS CHECK a firearm before holstering the gun. those 3 seconds could make the difference between a loaded weapon or not :thumbsup:

aberforth

Lurker
    May 5, 2011
    Red Lion, PA
    So I'm gonna show my ignorance by stating that I didn't know it was called press checking until I read this thread. That said I've always done it.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    My Glock feels lonely without one in the chamber.

No, I don't check, because I KNOW there's one in pipe. Of course there are situations where I do check, but 99% of the time I know there's one in the chamber.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    My Glock feels lonely without one in the chamber.

No, I don't check, because I KNOW there's one in pipe. Of course there are situations where I do check, but 99% of the time I know there's one in the chamber.

Not trying to knock ya... But there are plenty of people who KNEW there was NOT one in the chamber who are no longer with us.

I would rather check my assumption visually before I need to than check it with a trigger pull when I really need it.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Not trying to knock ya... But there are plenty of people who KNEW there was NOT one in the chamber who are no longer with us.

I would rather check my assumption visually before I need to than check it with a trigger pull when I really need it.

I fully understand what you're getting at when you say that. Believe me, I do.

I always treat it like it's loaded, because I know it's loaded. Even when I'm cleaning or doing snap cap drills I check to ensure it's not loaded with live rounds. I'm incredibly anal about it.

The one time you don't check for a live round, one appears or disappears. Whichever is more harmful to your life.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    glocks have an indicator built in. like Name Taken, i don't see a reason to perform a press check if you are loading your gun correctly....slide back, insert mag and charge.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    glocks have an indicator built in. like Name Taken, i don't see a reason to perform a press check if you are loading your gun correctly....slide back, insert mag and charge.

When a mag dosent seat it wont strip a round. Bad followers and springs can also lead to the round not being stripped and chambered. Its a very common malfunction.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my failsafe method is to pull the trigger after racking the slide. i am very safe, pointing it away from my family and dog in the house. if it goes off, i know that a round was definitely in the chamber. then i do it again just to make sure the mag fed properly...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    my failsafe method is to pull the trigger after racking the slide. i am very safe, pointing it away from my family and dog in the house. if it goes off, i know that a round was definitely in the chamber. then i do it again just to make sure the mag fed properly...

If it floats your boat. Tap. Rack. Bang.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    My Taurus Beretta 92AFS does have a LCI but I press check because a) the indicator is slightly visible with no contrasting color b) good habit considering LCIs can get stuck.

Archangel

Jul 19, 2005
    I don't press check when loading up initially. Like joppaj, when I drop the mag to top it off, I know that if it's down a round, that round is in the chamber.

However, any time that the gun leaves my control, I'll press check it when I pick it back up, to verify that a) someone else hasn't messed with it in my absence, and b) my memory about the state I left it in is correct. (ie I think the gun was loaded when I put in in the safe, but that was 3 months ago... Let me make sure before I put it in my holster to ccw.)

There's also times that I'll do it in training classes. You spend 8 hours on a hot range, where some drills end with an empty gun, some a half empty gun, and some a topped off gun, and it's worth press checking before starting the next drill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom