Preparing for the New Gun Buying Requirements...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

OK so Oct 1st is rapidly coming up...

Are any of our IP's up to date on what is actually required to buy guns after Oct 1st..?

Has anyone of them set up a program to shepherd us thru the process..?

I believe very specific & new training is required, is anyone offering it..?

IF NOT I fear that gun sales will tank as no one will have the training & fingerprints etc to allow them to buy any more guns & it could take months to meet the requirements...

It's time to be pro-active & take the bull by the horns...

I'm simply trying to get the ball rolling...

Our IP's have the biggest stake in the fight...

The Laws are passed & they not going away...

It's time to hold our nose & get to work...

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    So new rules, policies are to be in place and no one has given true guidance on how to follow them? Sounds too suspicious to be true. Gun ban in effect.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don't think much progress has been made on preparing the new training classes.

However, the law says the existing Hunter Safety course will meet the training requirement.

Do you see what will happen?

All the Hunter Safety classes will be booked solid with prospective handgun buyers. There will be waiting lists, and not enough openings . People who just want a hunting license will be unable to get one, because there won't be enough open slots in the classes.

Thus there will be a ripple effect. A lot of people who thought SB281 wouldn't effect them are going to find themselves very put out.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    SB281 sets the requirements as law, effective October 2013.

The Maryland State Police have stated that they will provide the implementing regulations in late September 2013.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA

The Maryland State Police have stated that they will provide the implementing regulations in late September 2013.

Did the MSP indicate the regulations will be final in September or proposed in September? If final regulations, they need to get on the ball. They need to propose rules and allow for public comments. They will have very tight deadlines to promulgate regulations by October 1. I've said it before: if they promulgate rules similarly to the Federal government, then we may not see the HQL forms or rules for up to two years.

It could take them months just to analyze all public comments. To my knowledge, they have yet to publish proposed rules in the Maryland Register.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I should be able to get fingerprinted and get my purchase license on October 1 (if I choose to). If they don't have a working system in place to begin issuing purchase licenses on October 1, that will constitute a pretty significant infringement of Marylander's rights.

Add in to the mix the thousands of handgun buyers who intended to make their purchase before the first, yet have had their Not Disapproval delayed for months, and who find they need the license after all. They could face another delay of several months at least, with the added indignity of being fingerprinted and treated like enemies of the State.

It really appears that Maryland is being used as a testing ground to develop extra-legal methods to marginalize firearms ownership by way of bureaucratic and regulatory Catch 22s.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The HQL will be good for 10 years. During that time, you only need to present it to the FFL with no additional fingerprinting or training as i read the law.

Current owners of a regulated firearm will be exempt from the training portion only as i read it.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD

They also stated we'd be not disapproved or disapproved for regulated weapons in 7 days... :sad20:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    They can have the regulations ready by September 30, but what happens when a woman, threatened by her ex-boyfriend, shows up to buy her first handgun on October 1?

She should be able to pick out a gun, start the paperwork, then run out and get her prints and training, and on Day 8, have her new license in hand when she stops by her dealer to pick up her gun (assuming her boyfriend didn't set her on fire on Day 6).

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some of us are developing strategies that will "hopefully" make the transition smoother. That being said, we won't know all the details until the last minute, which means no matter how much planning to accommodate the buying public, we'll still have to get CONCRETE answers from MDSP (to clarify any confusion) when assisting the public.

this forum will be a great source of info for the most part, stay tuned.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    They can have the regulations ready by September 30, but what happens when a woman, threatened by her ex-boyfriend, shows up to buy her first handgun on October 1?

She should be able to pick out a gun, start the paperwork, then run out and get her prints and training, and on Day 8, have her new license in hand when she stops by her dealer to pick up her gun (assuming her boyfriend didn't set her on fire on Day 6).

I guess she'll have to buy shotgun and fire a warning shot through her front door.
    Just like Joe Biden recommends.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We're laughing at Joe Biden now , but on Oct 2 , 2013 , a shotgun will be the default home defense tool in Md. Skip the part about firing thru the door , or in the air though.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Some of us are developing strategies that will "hopefully" make the transition smoother...

I don't think we want a smooth transition.

I think we want a huge lawsuit and thousands of angry Marylanders.

I think we want a HUGE embarrassment for O'Malley and a national scandal that will destroy him and drag down a lot of other antis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom