• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Good all around powder for .38 Special is Winchester 231, but I use a lot of Clays too. Don't know about .357 Magnum Anal though. :) Now, for normal .357 Magnum I use the same thing.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I am new to reloading, what powder shoud I use to reload 38 special, and 357 magnum anal also 30-30 Winchester? Thanks ahead of time.

Good all around powder for .38 Special is Winchester 231, but I use a lot of Clays too. Don't know about .357 Magnum Anal though. :) Now, for normal .357 Magnum I use the same thing.

If you find some of those .357 Magnum Anal rounds, I'll bet you are going to pay out the ass for them.

flying_pig

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2013
    Alliant makes some decent powder if you can find it these days. I like Unique, 2400 and the Reloader line. Powerbond makes nice bullets as well. Fairly cheap, copper plated, free shipping and IN STOCK!

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Lyman's 49th is a good manual. I was reading it last night.

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-49Th-Ed...UTF8&qid=1360682624&sr=8-1&keywords=lymans+49

Powders for pistol so far for me:

Winchester WSF
    Winchester 231

Rifle

Hodgdon Varget

I've been using Win 231 for a while (great all around pistol powder) and picked up some WSF for the first time a couple of months ago to use on 9mm. I really liked it. I had been using Power Pistol for 9mm, but too much flash and snap, so I wanted to try something new. I haven't tried it for .38 yet.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I used H110 for the 357 back when I was reloading a lot. IIRC used red dot for the 38 wad cutters (but its been a while.)

Basically you can use whatever the reloading book gives you the options to. x2, you DO have a lymans, speer, etc loading book right?

eddy8888

Jan 28, 2013
    La Plata, Maryland
    There are several manuals that list alot of different powders for different loads. You will need to try different loads for different calibers.
    I got out my Lyman manual 44 ed last night looking for load for Speed 170 gr bullet for a friend. BTY that manual was printed in 68 I beleive.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    My first time as well. The guys at the GC recommends Titegroup. I was told a great powder to use for all different caliber.

The hard part now is finding powder and many to choose from. I did order some Accurate #2 and figured I've got to learn and start somewhere.

I figured I would start with a pound and just follow the recommended load data from the manufacture. To me that would be the safest path.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I tried a few pounds of Titegroup at their suggestion too. I never really liked it that much. At lower to mid-range velocities is was very sooty and discolored the heck out of my cases. YMMV.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I am new to reloading, what powder shoud I use to reload 38 special, and 357 magnum and also 30-30 Winchester? Thanks ahead of time.

.38 Special = Unique, Bullseye, or W-231

.357 Magnum = Unique, 2400, 296/H-110. (I'm not a fan of W296/H-110. No 'headroom', but, a very good powder. This powder goes from "Zero to max pressure/velocities" immediately. It is a very good MAGNUM powder, though.)

.30-30 = I have no experience loading for this cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom