• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • So I'm done with the car business & am looking to go LEO. Baltimore City PD has become my choice (for a number of personal reasons), and I will be embarking on the application process.

To those of you either currently with BPD or any other PD in MD, do you have any suggestions, advice, etc for a new applicant? Has anyone recently gone through the application process that can possibly offer some guidance?

Looking forward to hearing back and as always thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks!

I'm used to politics, sadly. I've been on the PR side of the car dealership service world for the past 12 years and have realised it just isn't for me and my desire to LEO has been growing too loud to ignore. So I agreee, the politics of any job suck, it goes with the territory and I'm okay with that.

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    careful boys... BPD is the real deal and not for the faint of heart... run ops there bunch of times and those boys roll hard and the 'community' doesnt appreciate em... they are teh lowest paid for a major in MD but dont require the highest stock of the lot... now I temper that with guys like MADDOG Marcus who is a frucking legend... 15 + shootouts... and still wears Armani like a pimp

If youre serious PM me if have questions regarding backgrounds, PT, oral board, psychological, making it through the academy or just what to expect once your off FTO and rolling in 'the home of the bodybag'

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    To be honest it's probably in your best interest to apply for a lot of local LE jobs if interested.

Putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak isnt wise in this market. However BPD does appear to be hiring the most out of any agency.

If you havent already done so go on a few ride alongs.

Playing police in real life is much different then cops and robbers displayed on TV.

Squad40

$240 worth of pudding
    Mar 28, 2009
    I believe the BPD is looking to hire quite a few officers before the end of the year. I just saw the commish up at the ice rink last night (hockey).

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Not a cop but a retired FF.... Know alot of cops.... A few things to consider:

Negatives:
    BPD salary is lower then most
    Heaviest Crime rate in the area (I am sure you know that)
    Their retirement has been set back to 30 years (Others still offer early out at 20 and 25)

Positives:
    You can lateral out to another dept. making more money as a new recruit than you were as a 2 year officer in the city. (2 year committment to BPD is mandatory for your training)
    You will learn alot with exposure to the city

Whatever you decide good luck!!

jessestone

Jan 18, 2011
    Dont apply at just one department, but several. BPD may turn you down, but MoCoPD may snap you up. Some time there seems to be no ryhme or reason to who is hired and who is turned down.

Thanks everybody for responding. Not all of my eggs are going into one basket, I've applied to other departments as well. I'm hoping for BPD not because of pay but for the experience and knowledge base. I understand it's a lot of work for little pay but I'm not worried about that.

I'm squeaky clean, no drug use, am in pretty decent physical shape, and sharp. Downside: I'm 34, no military, no degree (though I'm enrolled in classes presently).

And, no, you can't have all of my guns unless you drag the coast of OBX as I lost them all in a rather freakish fishing accident. No kidding.

Im looking to do a ride along with BPD soon and if anyone has anyone inshould contact versus going thru the normal channels I'm all ears.

Thanks again guys!

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    Their retirement has been set back to 30 years (Others still offer early out at 20 and 25)

Not true. It is currently 25 years at 50%. 2% increase for every year after that. We are currently fighting this in federal court as it violates our contract. However I am sure new hires will never be put under the old system.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Not true. It is currently 25 years at 50%. 2% increase for every year after that. We are currently fighting this in federal court as it violates our contract. However I am sure new hires will never be put under the old system.

My mistake I meant to type 25 and was thinking on another retirement package from another department.

You are correct - NEW HIRES which he would be!! It is not the same as someone currently employed!

Other Departments are offerring as much as 70% at 25 years and 80% at 30.

So the 25 year 50% with 2% each year after 25 SUCKS!

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    No degree is a problem for most of the better departments. However, Howard County has a program to address that, whereas you can dual enroll in the academy and in an excellerated program at HOCOCC at the same time and earn your AA degree. It's hard work for sure, but well worth it in the end. In my son's academy (#33), they had a half dozen or so go through that program. BTW, 34 is not a negative. I would also suggest a few ride-alongs in different departments in order to get a taste and pick some brains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom