Post Woollard Win: Should HB45 be Supported or Withdrawn?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    HB45 was in a pre-Woollard world. Smigiel probably thought it'd be easier to get it through that way. It IS a bit irrelevant at this time, though. Honestly, "G&S" needs to be stricken from the form entirely.

Why is everyone so divided on this issue? Not only do we have Smigiel standing alone with HB45, we also have HB430 and 488, which as far as I can tell, do EXACTLY the same thing, and the sponsorship in the house is divided between the two bills. Why can't everyone get behind the same bill??

If the law can be changed at the legislative layer, wouldn't it be good to do that? Or do we want a court-decision as precedent so they can't re-enact it a few years down the road?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Norton I can say that I have utmost respect for what you say on here. You are far more educated than I. So I will ask you direct.... Is there anything that "we" should be doing on this subject of HB45? Or is it a job left to lawyers and such?

It's being "handled" and "looked into" so we're not asking anyone to "do" anything right now. We've got some very smart people checking this issue out and offering their learned opinions.

I'm an academic. I'm trying to provide the information to people.

Whether they listen or not is not in my control.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If the law can be changed at the legislative layer, wouldn't it be good to do that? Or do we want a court-decision as precedent so they can't re-enact it a few years down the road?

Emphasis mine.

Now you're getting it.

Do you want this person or this person to have >anything< to do with this issue?

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    It's being "handled" and "looked into" so we're not asking anyone to "do" anything right now. We've got some very smart people checking this issue out and offering their learned opinions.

I'm an academic. I'm trying to provide the information to people.

Whether they listen or not is not in my control.

GOT IT!!!! thanks, I am out on this one. Good luck.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Can't the offending language simply be amended out, along with possibly a lowering of the fees and a longer renewal period? Why does this bill have to go "as-is"? Also I thought there was another shall-issue bill that flat out just removes G and S and doesn't replace it with anything?

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    Norton I can say that I have utmost respect for what you say on here. You are far more educated than I. So I will ask you direct.... Is there anything that "we" should be doing on this subject of HB45? Or is it a job left to lawyers and such?

I agree, Please give us clear direction on what needs to be done because if we stand united we can do anything. I am new to this state and thus this fight and am willing to get into it full throttle, however I will obey the orders from those appointed over me.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    unfortunately, the legislators (lawsellers) will want to get in and take control. success has many fathers and failure is an orphan. they can't let the judges have all the glory. somebody will want to fundraise as the person who *restored* our gun rights.

but history will show that the man responsible in the honorable benson everett legg! we may not have enjoyed the wait, but he took his time and put together a bulletproof ruling.

this is a stunning victory and another landmark ruling for the 2A. god bless alan gura and cary hansel. thank you msi and saf. thank you to all the people who had a hand in this. and thank you norton for helping us understand all this.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I agree, Please give us clear direction on what needs to be done because if we stand united we can do anything. I am new to this state and thus this fight and am willing to get into it full throttle, however I will obey the orders from those appointed over me.

Hurry up and wait! :o

For the moment, stand by. We're still peeling through the layers of the proverbial onion and will make sure everyone knows what to do. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Listen up folks.....

The lawyers who won this case are well aware of the ramifications of HB45 and other bills. They worked way too hard on this case and aren't going to allow this thing to fall apart. We have to trust their judgement and stand behind them. Let them put together a plan and wait for the details.

I'm reading alot of uneducated and uniformed (even if well-intended) analyses and speculation that do NOTHING but cloud the issue.

It's time to stop the armchair lawyering and let the REAL attorneys do their job!!!

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    Hurry up and wait! :o

For the moment, stand by. We're still peeling through the layers of the proverbial onion and will make sure everyone knows what to do. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Will do but I am willing and able when the time comes

Listen up folks.....

The lawyers who won this case are well aware of the ramifications of HB45 and other bills. They worked way too hard on this case and aren't going to allow this thing to fall apart. We have to trust their judgement and stand behind them. Let them put together a plan and wait for the details.

I'm reading alot of uneducated and uniformed (even if well-intended) analyses and speculation that do NOTHING but cloud the issue.

It's time to stop the armchair lawyering and let the REAL attorneys do their job!!!

THIS!

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Question on how this works. I understand that pre-decision HB-45 could have mooted Woolard's case which would have been very bad because there would have been no decision and it could be reversed the following year or whenever.

So, now that the decision exists where is the dividing line between: "We accept this decision and have updated our statutes accordingly" and "We're going to moot the appeal with a new law that we'll try to repeal later"

Is it that they'd moot the appeal, but hope another case reverses Woolard?
    Could they accept it now, but still appeal at some future point?
    etc...

NOTE: I'm not in favor of HB-45 and want the big judges to slap down MD. I'm just curious at what point is the "fixing" of the broken laws an concession of defeat vs a stalling tactic.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    HB45 is an incredibly dangerous vehicle for gun grabbers to attach all sorts of wretched amendments to make getting a handgun permit even harder. DON'T CALL THE GEESE WHEN THEY ARE COMING TOWARDS YOU.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Update - Gun Legislation - March 7, 2012

Thank you for contacting me about our Second Amendment rights.

Many of you know that, as an avid hunter and NRA member, I have been fighting for our gun rights here in Annapolis since I came to the House of Delegates in 2003. I have introduced pro-gun legislation many times over the years.

Now, due to the recent court decision, the "shall issue" bill which I introduced, HB 488, becomes moot until all appeals and court actions at the federal level have been exhausted.

Therefore, I am withdrawing my bill so that it cannot be used as a tool for the Governor and the anti-gun legislators to amend it into an anti-gun bill. (As unbelieveable as it may seem, this does happen in the topsy-turvey world of Annapolis.)

I am very pleased with and agree with the court's decision. It is a major victory for all of us gun-rights advocates. However, we must never forget that it is only a victory in one part of the battle. The fight to defend our gun rights is still going to be a long one, and our victory will only be ensured by our willingness to stay vigilant, never letting down our guard. Our freedoms are only secure as long as we fight for them.

Rick Impallaria
    Delegate, District 7
    Rick.Impallaria@house.state.md.us
    410-841-3289 (Annapolis office)
    443-257-4782 (cell)

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    The wheels turn slowly, but they are turning.

It will take a few more days for things to flush out, so everybody, grab a cold drink and wait for an organized and clear direction to start running. Rest now, for we may put you through a marathon before this GA session is done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom