• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have a 45Tirant is stamp jail, and should receive my permission slip some time in June. I bought this on a trust. Will that be an issue if they make a rule change for trusts in May, or because my application is already in, I'll get through?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    To the best of my knowledge, ATF still has not issued any kind of ruling on Trusts, including a date that it might be changed.

IANAL

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    That's a funky title you got there! I wouldn't worry too much since your pending date would prove that you submitted prior to any "rule" change. At the rate stamps are coming back you might have yours prior to June.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It would be a nightmare for the BATFE to refund and reject all those pre-change forms. Definitely expect the already-submitted forms to be grandfathered.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hasn't the "ATF rule change concerning NFA trusts" been the rumor for the past few years? What's different this year?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC they postponed issuing a ruling until 2015.

It's now 2015.

expect something this year. But no decision or date AFAIK.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Time to submit the last couple SBR forms I should ever need then. Trusts make ownership so much easier...figures they would eliminate them!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC they are not eliminating trusts. They are proposing that trusts be subject to CLEO sign off and prints be required exactly like individual ownership, which basically defeats one of the reasons for getting them in the first place.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    IIRC they are not eliminating trusts. They are proposing that trusts be subject to CLEO sign off and prints be required exactly like individual ownership, which basically defeats one of the reasons for getting them in the first place.

That is good news. I was more concerned with making it easier to pass my toys to my kids and less crap for them to deal with. I think I'll still SBR the last couple lowers I hope I'll ever need now!

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

Right, not eliminate, but change the requirements virtually negating the advantage of a trust.

I had read somewhere that the decision was supposed to come down May of this year.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    That's a funky title you got there! I wouldn't worry too much since your pending date would prove that you submitted prior to any "rule" change. At the rate stamps are coming back you might have yours prior to June.

May, as in the month. I had read somewhere that May 2015 was when they were going to rule. (Could just be interweb folklore, which I am now contributing too. :D )

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And the "loophole" they are trying to fix, is that a prohibited person could be made a trustee.

So it may be a one time fingerprinting for each trustee in the trust. So, in that case, a trust would still be a good thing.

But no way to tell now.

And BATFE will have to propose what they want to do, and open it for comments.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    They'll get their ammo ban and then it will end up in Federal District Court.

In my non legal opinion, they have a better legal position for changing the trust requirements than they do for an ammo ban.

But iANAL.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    To get in before any issues, can you just get a bunch of stamps approved now, the. Just take a year of two to complete the builds?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, you can. You do not need to do anything when you get the stamp. It is permission to do whatever, when ever you want.

And the comments go into the official record of how they arrived at their decision, and they have to address EVERY comment made (can be done as XX comments received saying THUS, and YY comments saying THIS).

And yes, ammo ban is likely to end up in court.

They have been DIRECTED to make changes to the trust situation. So it WILL happen. Although, they can drag their feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom