• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Agreed. I see the "noise issue" as a specious argument at best.

As an aside: when I grew up riding horses, they were more likely to shy when a deer would appear than from gunshots at the range.

Aside part deux: if it weren't for the ZIP code, I'd have always considered it to be Poolesville

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    I worked at the NIH animal farm right across from the Poolesville range. Gun fire and explosive detonations never bothered the animals. That even includes the antsy monkeys that were housed outside.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    The only thing that makes me stop is that the neighbors and current biz were there first. I think if the neighborhood doesnt want it, its a really strong reason to not have it.

I would be curious at how much noise can be suppressed though. I live about 1 mile from a range that shoots public trap on Thursdays, we hear it but it isnt any louder than my kids.

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    The only thing that makes me stop is that the neighbors and current biz were there first. I think if the neighborhood doesnt want it, its a really strong reason to not have it.

I would be curious at how much noise can be suppressed though. I live about 1 mile from a range that shoots public trap on Thursdays, we hear it but it isnt any louder than my kids.

Myersville?

Alright, here is the deal. We met with the opposition last week in order to hear their concerns and try to work out a solution to those concerns. We laid out our plans, explained to them how noise would be controlled and how the ranges would be built with safeguards in place to eliminate projectile escapement. We told them we are designing this facility to have as little impact on neighboring properties as possible. Unfortunately, I don't think they where there as a good faith effort to find a compromise. I say this because after the meeting, Sugarloaf Alliance continued giving out misinformation regarding the very issues we had discussed with them. They started this whole thing by trying to get the shooting community rallied against our facility by telling them the range would not be open to the public. When corrected, they stated the facility is not for law enforcement or the military. We are dealing with people who will say anything to meet their end goal. They make claims of the sort that they have no issues with guns, I find these claims to be disingenuous. On more than one occasion we have been asked by members of the opposition if we plan on allowing semi automatic weapons on the facility. When they where asked the question, If we deal with the concerns stated, would they still oppose the facility, we where told they don't want us doing anything with the property. These people are not interested in finding solutions to their concerns, they have lied to the public more times than I can count, they have misrepresented themselves to garner support from the shooting community. They misrepresent what we say and what we plan to do. The new zoning hearing will be on August 28th with a location to be determined. Please come out and show support for the facility and let these people know their underhanded tactics will not stand. We will be holding a rally at the farm to better inform the public in the near future. I will let you know the details as they emerge.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I totally agree with the above statement and if possible I will be there. You are correct about them just telling outright LIES about the situation on their Facebook page and I agree that they don't want to work out a solution. They don't want it built AT ALL, but they don't have the intestinal fortitude to say that. They keep hiding behind their horses and serenity of the countryside. I live in the "country" in the Agricultural Reserve and I hear gunshots EVERY day!!! It doesn't seem to bother ANY of my animals OR the DAIRY COWS that are right next door!!! As a matter of fact with the woods between the dairy farm and the other neighbor you can BARELY HEAR him when he shoots. I'm behind you 100% if for no other reason than the way they are handling things.

Oh and if you haven't looked on their Facebook page lately. They are bragging about how with their massive turnout you turned tail and ran to "regroup". I believe is how they put it. Nevermmind the fact that it was also said that YOU wanted it rescheduled so EVERYONE would have a chance to testify. HOW DARE YOU be kind enough to let them speak. (sarcasm) :)

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick

Problem with the range is that there are homes that are very close, first home being within 250 ft of the property. The nearest horse training and boarding properties are within 400 ft of the proposed range. So it would absolutely kill that business. Its not like a shop where you pick up and move, people have invested hundreds of thousands on the property, buildings, equipment, etc.

I think some consideration of others and common sense should come into play here by the county.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I do not have a problem with this. This is not something that will strain county resources or infastructure nor is it unsafe.

I do not see how you can prevent one from doing something to his property. The noise issue is a non issue for me. I live about 2 miles from a range that does public trap every thursday. It is a faint noise. It is clearly gunshots but nothing that disturbs the area. Heck the busiest times will be saturday when people are aleeady making noise.

I am sure that if noise is the primary concenrn hours can be adjusted to please all involved. They are not destroying the property and if they didnt buy it eventually you would have a mega development build out there. Take your pick. I would rather have something that does not drain county infastructure or resources.

Two miles and 250ft of the nearest resident...quite a large distance comparison.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Montgomery County Police has it's outdoor range off of Elmer School Road in Dickerson. This facility is across the street from the NIH Animal Facility and a next to various horse farms that offer boarding and trail rides. To my knowledge, there has never been a problem. My parents still live very near there and you can hear the shots quite clearly. They, as well as others in the area, have horses and livestock. Again, the noise has never caused an issues with the animals.

The boarding/horse property is a business and the owners are expressing that the range will impact the type of clients that pay well to board and ride their horses in the area. NIH horses and animals are for research. Typically for the collection of blood. I think that these business owners have a right for concern and justified means of not wanting a range very near their property.

They should open up a long range next to the dump off Reichsford Road.
    Place is already busy with heavy dump truck traffic and also there are gun ranges nearby, including a soon to be indoor range. It would be a more common sense area for a range. Right off 70, easy to drive to from most part of Frederick.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    The one thing some of these people should consider. The property is 245 acres or something similar. If the range comes to that area it preserves the land. If the range is not built it is HIGHLY likely that it will be developed into houses. Look at Monrovia Town Center. It is bound to happen, so maybe this is better for the community?

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    The sound can be reduced to a manageable level. Have you ever driven down the highway and seen the sound walls on the sides? The same can be done with high berms on at least 3 sides of the shooting areas which would also be safer in the case of an accidental discharge. So yes it can be done. Whether they will listen to reason or not is a different story. What I don't understand is that I have been in that area and can hear gunshots almost every time I have been there.

That would be me shooting on kins' property :)
    I want that shooting noise coming from myself!
    Don't want to ruin the fun.

Nothing like shooting in a peaceful environment...tranquility...and to hear your own heartbeat before the trigger squeeze.

Jealous yet?

Actually, I've had neighbors around the property complain about .308 rounds going off.
    So yes, they know what itll be like. If this range is approved, itll mess my joy, but at least I'll be able to shoot all I want and finally invite friends that have that has been begging for a place to shoot shoot and shoot more without the silly range restrictions.

Problem with the range is that there are homes that are very close, first home being within 250 ft of the property. The nearest horse training and boarding properties are within 400 ft of the proposed range. So it would absolutely kill that business. Its not like a shop where you pick up and move, people have invested hundreds of thousands on the property, buildings, equipment, etc.

I think some consideration of others and common sense should come into play here by the county.
    The horse farm is 1400 feet from the outdoor range. The nearest property to the indoor range is 650 feet and as I'm sure you know Indoor ranges built properly emit no noise. . Please do not assume to know things you don't and pass them off as fact. If you don't want the range there, that's fine but stop making things up. I have had just about enough of that.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    My bad. I meant the property itself not the facilities of the range.
    Thanks for the correction. I'd rather have the shooting fields for myself.

Yunus

Apr 11, 2009
    In speaking with a few people totally against the range, I did find a compromise that they supported. Open a range where the race track currently is and kill Monrovia Town center in the process. Everyone I have spoken with would prefer noise to houses.

But more seriously, please keep us informed about the intentions of the range. We can advocate for it but we wont unless we are confident that it will actually benefit the locals who enjoy shooting.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    In speaking with a few people totally against the range, I did find a compromise that they supported. Open a range where the race track currently is and kill Monrovia Town center in the process. Everyone I have spoken with would prefer noise to houses.

But more seriously, please keep us informed about the intentions of the range. We can advocate for it but we wont unless we are confident that it will actually benefit the locals who enjoy shooting.

The problem with that location is the distances to the roads and on top of that the cellular/microwave tower, run by AT&T...

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Reichsford Road by the frederick dump! Or an old quarry.
    They wouldnt have to dig much nor worry about noise.

80/75...that place...it was nice when it was...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom