• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zenMonkey

Patriot Picket
    Mar 30, 2013
    Just goes to show you how fast things can go from bad (car chase) to worst case possible.

This should be shown to the people who carry (wish that was possible for most of us) their gun without a round in the chamber and think that they will have time to rack the slide.

They showed one vest taking a round, I hope everyone else made it out ok.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    That officer would have had to justify to his supervisor why he did $xxx.xx of damage to his car.

+1 on the 3pt turn not being the best getaway strategy.

The guy is trying to shoot the officer, that's justification enough.

DD55

Sep 22, 2013
    Anne Arundel
    Wow! That was sickening how fast it went bad! Really shows how quick officers have to make decisions. I hope the officers are ok

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

they were talking about the initial attempt to flee the 3 point turn. Lethal force still was not on the table when he exited the car because they did not know he had a gun until the first round impacted the windshield.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    they were talking about the initial attempt to flee the 3 point turn. Lethal force still was not on the table when he exited the car because they did not know he had a gun until the first round impacted the windshield.

Got it. Sorry about that.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

This, the comment was in response to a question about the actions at the start of the chase, not the end.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The police absolutely acted in the wrong in this video and it should be plain as day to anyone....

...because they failed to yell, "BOOM! HEADSHOT!" after dropping that POS criminal that tried to kill them. Clean shoot and impressive restraint and actions from the LEO's. This should be mandatory viewing for my students headed down the wrong path to show them how permanent the consequences can be from a poor life choice. The officers tried to warn the guy not to do it, he didn't listen, tried to kill the officers, and was dealt some natural consequences to bad behavior.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Honest question:
    At what point in a chase does the PIT maneuver become an option to use?

Imininent Threat to life I would guess. During the turn the cars were moving slow... little threat.. almost looked like they were going yo give up..

Could have jamed a fender into front wheel but again not clearly justified and can not guarantee it would stop the chase....

Disclaimer I am not a po nor a lawyer but I do read policy journal s on occasion..

Good judgement by police here.. only if you can predict the future can you use the car as a weapon...

They did very well. But I think they would also agree a bit of luck helped as well...

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    The officers should have waited for him to empty his 10 round mag to see if he hit them before returning fire. A round that doesn't strike you isn't deadly, right?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Once he exited the vehicle and drew the gun, I'd have jammed the pedal to the floor.

I think the cop in cruiser #1 was thinking he's got me. Windshield glass does some funny stuff to bullets. I am willing to bet at the end the officer in cruiser 1 was still believing it was going to fade to black at any moment.

zenMonkey

Patriot Picket
    Mar 30, 2013
    Imininent Threat to life I would guess. During the turn the cars were moving slow... little threat.. almost looked like they were going yo give up..

Sorry, I meant the question not in this specific case but more in general. I'm guessing once any officer, is in pursuit of another car, determines that the driver running could endanger other motorists, they have the green light to try to take the car out.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Sorry, I meant the question not in this specific case but more in general. I'm guessing once any officer, is in pursuit of another car, determines that the driver running could endanger other motorists, they have the green light to try to take the car out.

I would say they will have to justify their actions based on a threat to life. It has to be more than "engader" .. Not sure where to draw the line-- but the pit maneuver only works perfectly when staged for TV. what if the fleeing driver tries to evade and spins into oncoming traffic.

And there are spike strips as well.. I would bet that this needs some kind of chain of command involvement ...

I really do not know.. so many others will comment, but I sure would not want to explain why I had to try something that dangerous ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom