• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Excuse the newbie question but what makes it good? I understand that the bullet is not lead, instead generally steel or tungsten, but does that make it any more accurate or more penetrating?

I just meant that it's good in the fact that it will work fine.

Generally, Green Tips were designed to penetrate light armor. It's not an expanding round so using it for a defensive round probably wouldn't be recommended unless you were defending yourself against someone wearing body armor.

I actually watched a documentary a couple weeks ago and one of the troops was talking about the ammo they were using and how it was having little effect on drugged up insurgents. He said the combination of his targets being hopped up on amphetamine and the green tips didn't really go together well. The rounds would just clearly pass right through the target and they would have to shoot them 5+ times just to get them to drop. They then started using ball ammo and it worked much better against the insurgents who rarely wore body armor.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Excuse the newbie question but what makes it good? I understand that the bullet is not lead, instead generally steel or tungsten, but does that make it any more accurate or more penetrating?

The bullet still has a fair amount of lead in it, unless somehow PMC is making m855a1, which I doubt.

PMC ammo generally goes bang as designed, I find it a bit strange that a Korean manufacture is making a NATO round, and have to think its just similar and not necessarily held to the same specs as true m855 (which is sold as xm855 by federal). But most of us are just ever going to use this stuff to punch holes in paper, and the few lucky Marylanders who have access to large areas of land might just shoot some steel targets, so even as a copy it's good enough (now if your range lets you use it is a whole other story).

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    most if not all competitions ban the green-tip stuff as it kills their steel. verify with your range(s) that you can use green tip there before you stock up on it.

i haven't shot any pmc green tip but have shot the regular stuff from pmc, 55g fmj, and it has always functioned flawlessly with decent accuracy out to the 100 or so yards i have shot it.

HICAPMAG

Mar 2, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Thanks for all the info. As a newbie, it is so great being able to get knowledgeable answers so quickly. I have some boxes of green tip, now I know enough to ask the range if its OK to bring them. :D

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Thanks for the info. I have a nice chuck of land to shoot at up in PA and saw these at a store for $0.55/round, which isn't too bad compared to other places. I just grabbed a few boxes to plink with for now. They had quite a few boxes in so I was checking to see if it would be worth picking up a great deal more.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Thanks for the info. I have a nice chuck of land to shoot at up in PA and saw these at a store for $0.55/round, which isn't too bad compared to other places. I just grabbed a few boxes to plink with for now. They had quite a few boxes in so I was checking to see if it would be worth picking up a great deal more.

It's a fine price, you won't get brass for much cheaper right now, but know that 55 vs 62 grain has fairly different trajectories so don't think your aim is off if you usuall shoot 55 grain loads.

And

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    I found them at a army surplus store in central PA over the weekend. Looks like I might have to get someone to go grab me more boxes if there are any left.

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    I would scoop them up, as a matter of fact, Id ask if they have a limit on the number of boxes you can buy. I found 30 round boxes for 25 bucks, and bought the 6 box limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom