• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billy Bones

Flagoneer
    Mar 27, 2012
    Grasonville, Md
    are you allowed to plink on public hunting land?

X2. Inquiring minds want to know...

My Q's:
    • What safety precautions could you take?
    • How could you 'prove' you are plinking?
    • Would you have to get a hunting license just to be legal in case DNR shows up?
    • If we are just plinking (thinking .22lr), would be able to do this out of hunting season?

Years ago when I wanted to shoot, I'd call up the MSP and tell them where I was going shooting and if it was alright. They didn't seem to care at all? I had to be outside of city limits and 1000 yards from any structure. But that was then and this is now.
    I have learned shooting at a proper backstop is critical, also knowing what's behind and around said backstop.
    dan

noone

Jul 3, 2011
    I live in Rock Hall and the we use to be allowed to shoot out at the sewer plant they had a big field were the ponds use to be but now they put up solar panels to bring in electric for the sewer plant, so not sure if it's ok to shoot there anymore. Other then that the closest range I know of is in Massy at Alexanders they have handgun from 25- 100 yards about 20 benches set up, and he has a rifle range set up with 15 benches with targets from 100 to 600 yards it's a nice place to shoot

BellyAcher151

channel 28 Breaker!!
    Oct 14, 2011
    Salisbury
    Other then that the closest range I know of is in Massy at Alexanders they have handgun from 25- 100 yards about 20 benches set up, and he has a rifle range set up with 15 benches with targets from 100 to 600 yards it's a nice place to shoot

I'm sure this is where the Fee's come into play, For me and many more around salisbury-cambridge have Delmarva sporting clays but the $20 fee gets expensive, Nor is it really plinking IMO.
    Plinking to me is that old can someone threw down or shooting a branch off a fallen log, or setup your own rotary targets.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    While out shooting our handguns in the back yard, we had the police come visit us from a call that a neighbor made. After removing the magazine and leaving the breach open, I removed my ear and eye protection and walked towards the officer empty handed. He asked us what we were doing and told him we were target shooting. he asked if it was our land, yes I said. He informed us that as long as we were 300' away from any structure, we were fine to shoot and went on his merry way. Was kind of surprised and I wouldn't take this instance to just go anywhere :) AACo pd was the ones that came by.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    While out shooting our handguns in the back yard, we had the police come visit us from a call that a neighbor made. After removing the magazine and leaving the breach open, I removed my ear and eye protection and walked towards the officer empty handed. He asked us what we were doing and told him we were target shooting. he asked if it was our land, yes I said. He informed us that as long as we were 300' away from any structure, we were fine to shoot and went on his merry way. Was kind of surprised and I wouldn't take this instance to just go anywhere :) AACo pd was the ones that came by.

You must live on the far fringes or someplace special in Edgewater to be 300' away from any structure.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you want to "plink" in Maryland you need to buy a big piece of land or get all your neighbors permission or become friends with some farmers.

These are not "plinking" but you better be ready to prove you arn't "hunting".
    From the DNR website "Unlawful Activities" selected quotes:

"Hunt, trap or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied building or camp without permission of the owner or occupant."
    "Hunt or trap on private land without written permission of the landowner."
    "Target shoot on State lands except in designated areas."
    "Have a loaded firearm in, on, or leaning against any vehicle. This includes ammunition in the magazine or a muzzleloader ready to fire."
    "Shoot on, from or across any public road."
    "Hunt any game bird or mammal on Sunday with the exception of:......"
    "Hunt without a form of positive identification, such as a drivers license, other photo identification or a secondary form of positive identification."

For additional information regarding landowner liability in Maryland read Bulletin EB357 (Recreational Access and Landowner Liability in Maryland) at the Maryland Cooperative Extension’s website.
    http://extension.umd.edu/publications/PDFs/EB357.pdf

The one loophole you might use is to take up hunting of Woodchucks and nutria but you will probably get to meet with a lot of police, natural resources and others if you try it.

" The woodchuck and nutria are classified as “unprotected mammals.” As such, a hunting license is not required to hunt woodchucks and nutria except in Baltimore and Frederick Counties. Woodchucks and nutria may be hunted throughout the year, including on Sundays. Hunters must wear fluorescent orange while hunting woodchucks. All legal hunting devices may be used to hunt woodchucks and nutria."

Theoretically you could put on hunter orange and take a gun and when stopped say you are hunting woodchucks. I'll let you be the test case.

On further consideration you also better have written permission of the landowner if you do.

Blacksmith101

Last edited:

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I'm sure this is where the Fee's come into play, For me and many more around salisbury-cambridge have Delmarva sporting clays but the $20 fee gets expensive, Nor is it really plinking IMO.
    Plinking to me is that old can someone threw down or shooting a branch off a fallen log, or setup your own rotary targets.

Sadly shooting at things on the ground and random branches is pretty much a thing of the past. Stray bullets and ricochets are too much of a threat and if a round has been found ton have left YOUR property expect the full legal responsability for it. Even if that one did'nt hurt anything it can be used to get yours and any similar shooting venues shut down because of it. I am fortunate that I can shoot in my yard but I am a total range nazi about every shot fired.

BellyAcher151

channel 28 Breaker!!
    Oct 14, 2011
    Salisbury
    Sadly shooting at things on the ground and random branches is pretty much a thing of the past. Stray bullets and ricochets are too much of a threat and if a round has been found ton have left YOUR property expect the full legal responsability for it. Even if that one did'nt hurt anything it can be used to get yours and any similar shooting venues shut down because of it. I am fortunate that I can shoot in my yard but I am a total range nazi about every shot fired.

Totaly understandable, Safety First.

Everythings (laws) getting so tight and people scream lawsuit at the drop of a hat and others have found a way to capitalize (range's) for a minimal fee of almost 3x the current minimum wage.
    I remember (not all that long ago) back home in calif. you could go find a hillside or come accross areas where you'll find old cars and washer/dryers that have been left for shooting.
    Those day's are long gone

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Totaly understandable, Safety First.

Everythings (laws) getting so tight and people scream lawsuit at the drop of a hat and others have found a way to capitalize (range's) for a minimal fee of almost 3x the current minimum wage.
    I remember (not all that long ago) back home in calif. you could go find a hillside or come accross areas where you'll find old cars and washer/dryers that have been left for shooting.
    Those day's are long gone

We had no shortage or those 30yrs or so ago.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    We used to shoot right off my back deck (Earleville). Funny how you don't know what you got till it's gone.....

Wish I could talk the wife into another large parcel, she could give a fuk about acreage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom