• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Guys,

Found a Noveske 18" barrel, intermediate length. I understand that this is between rifle and mid length. Needs its own length gas tube to match.

The question is, what receiver extension? Is this a rifle or a carbine length receiver extension? If so, what buffer recommended? H, H2?

Thanks in advance.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    receiver extension length has nothing to do with gas tube length. the two are independent of one another.

receiver extension length is dependent on the stock you want to run. nothing else.

just make sure the barrel either comes with a gas tube, or you can readily obtain one. since john noveske's death, the company has completely tanked with parts availability.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    receiver extension length has nothing to do with gas tube length. the two are independent of one another.

receiver extension length is dependent on the stock you want to run. nothing else.

just make sure the barrel either comes with a gas tube, or you can readily obtain one. since john noveske's death, the company has completely tanked with parts availability.

I was under the impression that a rifle length gas system needs a rifle length extension tube and standard rifle buffer?

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I am speculating from reading up on this in the past so others might be able to speak authoritatively on this issue. The gas port hole in the barrel, I believe I read, has different diameters for carbine, mid and rifle length. This hole diameter regulates the gas that enters the system and allows the different gas lengths to cycle reliably.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I am speculating from reading up on this in the past so others might be able to speak authoritatively on this issue. The gas port hole in the barrel, I believe I read, has different diameters for carbine, mid and rifle length. This hole diameter regulates the gas that enters the system and allows the different gas lengths to cycle reliably.

YUP.

The shorter the barrel, from the gas block to the muzzle, the bigger the hole.

The shorter the barrel, the less time there is to capture the gasses in the bore before the bullet leaves the bore.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Don't take this the wrong way, but there are a lot of great books and websites for this information.

You're about to build something that goes BANG. With mini EXPLOSIONS and stuff. And lots of moving parts.

Do a lot of research on your own. You won't learn anything by being told what to do.

Besides, there are oodles of variables you need to consider. Everyone thinks an AR15 is a set of Lincoln Logs or a LEGO set. There is more to it than just assembling a bunch of parts.

The Google Machine is your friend.

Good luck and have fun.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I was under the impression that a rifle length gas system needs a rifle length extension tube and standard rifle buffer?

you were under an incorrect impression. ;)

Case in point:

Mk12223.jpg

Mark 12 Mod 0. Rifle length gas. Carbine stock/buffer/tube/spring. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom