• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Sounds like you live out and away from others if you have no neighbors. That would indicate to me the potential for engaging multiple threats outside as well as inside. Also a long police response time.

AR all the way. I love my lever guns but if things ever got bad, bad, I’d rather not be holding a .357 lever gun wishing I had something else with more firepower.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Yes, all 4; be done with it.

That said, I don't like the safety on the Rossi lever. I have Marlin's and a Winchester 94 in 30-30 and those will work for HD. 38-357 is on my bucket list, or 45 LC per my SAA Colts.

That said, AK or AR would also work with less complication for reload in it's a rooftop Korean scenario.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I concede up front , that the MDS consensus will be heavily in favor of the AR . And if we're reading the first post correctly , you already have a 16 inch AR . And with the political climate , and our emphasis on AR common usage , and suitability for Home Defense , would almost not want to say anything about AR that could be twisted out of context .

That said , my personal druthers would be the levergun ( albeit in 20 inch format ).

#1 Question to ask yourself -

What is your probable threat level at home ? Are you expecting an entire drug gang , entire OMC chapter , mafia hit squad , or etc , making reasonably coordinated attack , with squad level or larger ?

Or typical criminal dirtbags ?

#2 Question to ask yourself -

It's ok . You can share with us .
    Which one do you Want for other/ general purposes , while convincing yourself/ spouse that " Yeah , yeah ! And it's good for Home Defense too ! " .

That's ok ! If you otherwise Want a Commie rifle / Levergun/ something that folds up into briefcase/ small backpack , get one for the actual reason(s) , and it wouldn't suck , if pressed into HD at need .

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    The AR-- but...since you opened the door to owning a second one, I'd ditch the 16" and go with a pistol length/SBR w/suppressor.
    This is the way.
    Ive seen many Rossi’s shyt the bed.
    No experience with kel tec.
    AKs are great but I think the AR fits you better.
    GL

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Exactly my point.

Ok then !

Hey OP ! Your initial anti shotgun bias is misguided . There are reasons they were so popular for so long , and however you characterize or identify ( causing shootee to quickly fall down , stop moving , and stop doing Bad Things ) , a tight pattern of buckshot , at indoor distances , will do so more decisively than anything else .

Now Afrikeber and I will be shouted down , because Shotguns have comparitively low capacity and too much recoil .

I'll attempt comeback along the lines of :

OP also has handgun(s) . Store one adjacent to the HD shotgun , to stick in pocket/ belt while grabbing Shotgun . If 5- 9 rounds of buckshot/ Foster Slugs ( even if 20 ga ) hasn't resolved the situation , drop the empty shotgun , and whip out pistol to continue .

Now a majority of MDS is shaking their heads , mumbling about the out of touch old fart .

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    shotguns hurt and I would not practice with it. Now I am going back to my mamas breast. I have had 5 or six of them and always sell them like an idiot.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    shotguns hurt and I would not practice with it. Now I am going back to my mamas breast. I have had 5 or six of them and always sell them like an idiot.
    Have you tried a smaller gauge shotty or the lower charged/recoil rounds in a 12ga? Plenty of options available with a shotty to lower the recoil. No need to go for a 12ga 3" magnum load for home defense.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Which one are you most comfortable shooting, reloading and handling? Seems to me that the answer to this question is the answer to your question.
    ^^THIS. Folks asking questions like this are looking for validation. The same answer applies to "which gun is best for me?", "convince me to buy xxxx gun" etc

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Dont like shotguns. Have a pistol somewhere. So if we can just stay with these 4 choices please. Home defense and maybe 25 yards beyond. No neighbors to worry about or children
    357mag lever gun 16" I like lever guns would be around 600 for a rossi plus ammo
    Ar15 16" I have one so I have ammo and mags. Find them a little boring but necessary. 425.00 for a Delton
    AK wasr10 Like these but have a hard time spending the kind of money they want. At least 625.00 plus ammo and mags
    Keltec sub 2000 40 cal. Light and reliable and have ammo already. But what about an apocalypses scenario how would it hold up. The least expensive
    Please pick one of these and give me your reasons for just these. Thanks

I get this question a lot. The shotgun is not a good choice as a primary firearm for home defense.

I'm not a big fan of Keltec; however, they have improved their firearms over the years. I am not a fan of the .40 caliber, but it is a good choice in a carbine when the ammunition is available. Use round-nose bullets to eliminate feeding problems.

Lever action in .357 is good but would require more effort than a semi-automatic.

The AR15 [16"] is the best for reliability, speed, accuracy, and magazine capacity. I would add a green or red dot for fast target acquisition and consider adding a light barrel for better freedom of movement.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I get this question a lot. The shotgun is not a good choice as a primary firearm for home defense.

I'm not a big fan of Keltec; however, they have improved their firearms over the years. I am not a fan of the .40 caliber, but it is a good choice in a carbine when the ammunition is available. Use round-nose bullets to eliminate feeding problems.

Lever action in .357 is good but would require more effort than a semi-automatic.

The AR15 [16"] is the best for reliability, speed, accuracy, and magazine capacity. I would add a green or red dot for fast target acquisition and consider adding a light barrel for better freedom of movement.
    A light barrel is verboten in MD except on a lower owned Pre 2013.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I would second alucard’s post. Well put. I diidn’t care for the sub2k. Lever too many disadvantages, AK variant…why with an AR 15 available?

My first level defense in reality…handgun. An AR and shotgun are in the readily just in case.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    ar-15 would be my choice. the rifle calibers have better performance. 30rd mags and faster follow up shots with the semi-auto. the ar is easier to learn to operate than an ak imo. i assume the ak is 7.62. so the ar in .223 would be easier to shoot and locate ammo for. plus the huge aftermarket support for parts and accessories.

i watched this video a couple of months back where there was a studied conducted that said juries would more likely convict a person and give them longer sentences for using an ar-15. the title of the video is click baity but its has some interesting points

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    Choose the right tool for the job. So, what specific job in the wide scope of “home defense?"

Of your 4 choices, I vote for the AR. Boring you say? How about some customization, changing the optics, grip, trigger…the amount of variations available can end that boredom. At least that is how I convince myself.

A wise MDS member here once told me that he “likes shotguns” for this role (home defense). I tend to agree with him.

If I were you, I would find that “pistol somewhere.” No matter your choices, I think it is a good idea to have a sidearm if you are out of ammo after using one of the 4 choices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom