• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockamole

Dec 24, 2010
    Baltimore County
    While cleaning my new glock today, I noticed that a section of the polymer frame has revealed the metal inside. Take a look at this pic:

plastic_peel.png

This seems to be the frame area that's right below the recoil spring with the slide attached. Some of the plastics in this area flaked out revealing the metal inside.

The glock is new with only about 200 rounds (standard 124 gr 9mm) ran through it.

Is this normal for a glock? Since Glock is such a popular model, I am sure someone out there might have seem this. Should I be worried?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Normal. Nothing to worry about. From what I've read it's just a result of the injection molding process.

Glockamole

Dec 24, 2010
    Baltimore County
    The picture should show up now. It's a pic of my Glock 17 Gen 4 I got recently.

I am wondering whether it was like that when I got it, or whether the plastic came off after I used it a couple of times.

Thx

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    its normal.. Gen 4 17 and Gen 4 22 pics attached with the same.. first is the 17, second 22

Attachments

• gen4-17.jpg
      gen4-17.jpg
      16.7 KB · Views: 602
    • Gen4-22.jpg
      Gen4-22.jpg
      15.1 KB · Views: 584

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a dead blow polymer hammer years back. It was exposed to heat, cold, solvents and repeated impacts. Dead nuts reliable and made to be impervious to all those environmental conditions. Went to use it after it lay dormant for a period of time. It disassembled itself into about 20 different pieces.

Just may be the future of polymer frames eventually. That's why I reserve all Tupperware use for the kitchen and lunch time. JK, but I really do wonder.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I had a dead blow polymer hammer years back. It was exposed to heat, cold, solvents and repeated impacts. Dead nuts reliable and made to be impervious to all those environmental conditions. Went to use it after it lay dormant for a period of time. It disassembled itself into about 20 different pieces.

Just may be the future of polymer frames eventually. That's why I reserve all Tupperware use for the kitchen and lunch time. JK, but I really do wonder.

Glocks have been around for about 30 years. I'm not too worried about them suddenly falling apart.

Glockamole

Dec 24, 2010
    Baltimore County
    A bit annoying still, for such a great pistol as a glock to have expected flaking in the frame area. I think glock should fix this. It just doesn't look good from an appearance perspective. Nonetheless I still love my glock.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    My 1st Gen 17 does not have this. I had a polymer dead blow hammer also that disassembled itself. I believed at the time that it was because of UV exposure. It's home was on my bench in front of the window open to morning sun. Didn't use it for about 2 years. Didn't think that it could happen to the Glock though. Not all polymer is created equal. Interesting thing to think about though. I've never heard of a Glock frame breaking or shattering but perhaps that's another can of worms...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I put a pair of Lasergrips on my G30. These are the kind that slip over the grip from the rear. Almost immediately a small flaking of the polymer just in front of the laser occurred. You can see shiny metal through the flaked area. I can only assume that the laser is rubbing the finish perhaps during recoil, because it is not loose at all. It hasn't gotten worse so I stopped worrying about it.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    My 1st Gen 17 does not have this. I had a polymer dead blow hammer also that disassembled itself. I believed at the time that it was because of UV exposure. It's home was on my bench in front of the window open to morning sun. Didn't use it for about 2 years. Didn't think that it could happen to the Glock though. Not all polymer is created equal. Interesting thing to think about though. I've never heard of a Glock frame breaking or shattering but perhaps that's another can of worms...

I wouldn't be too concerned. It's not like "polymer" actually refers to a specific material:

Dictionary.com said:
    pol·y·mer
       /ˈpɒləmər/ Show Spelled[pol-uh-mer]
    –noun Chemistry .
    a compound of high molecular weight derived either by the addition of many smaller molecules, as polyethylene, or by the condensation of many smaller molecules with the elimination of water, alcohol, or the like, as nylon.
    a compound formed from two or more polymeric compounds.
    a product of polymerization.

There are countless forms of polymers and the failure of one type is not indicative of any others. Hell, for those keeping count, the same thing goes for different types of steel. No one can be compared directly to another unless they are identical. In this case a polymer hammer is probably NOT using the identical molecular construction as a handgun frame.

Want even more proof? Look at the polymer bumpers of mid-90's Chevys vs some of the other manufacturers. They tend to shed paint, crack, and yellow over time whereas other companies' products still look new today. And those are a fairly SIMILAR polymer (urethane).

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Yeah, it's normal. Happens on some. The polymer is over molded on the steel inserts and sometimes it wears or just shows through. Never had it on my second gen 17 bought in 1995, but had it right away on my OD green 19 from 2007. Don't worry about it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The Ford Bronco, Bronco II and Ranger owner love the polymer radius arm bushings.

By the way, said "JK" - just kidding. I know the polymers are different for different applications. My main beef with polymer frame guns of any make is the feel when I shoot them - completely subjective. I tried two, just prefer the weight of steel or aluminum in the frame. I do have an LCR, so all is not lost.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    The Ford Bronco, Bronco II and Ranger owner love the polymer radius arm bushings.

By the way, said "JK" - just kidding. I know the polymers are different for different applications. My main beef with polymer frame guns of any make is the feel when I shoot them - completely subjective. I tried two, just prefer the weight of steel or aluminum in the frame. I do have an LCR, so all is not lost.

I wasn't picking on anyone in particular, I just know how the "buzz" goes when someone who doesn't know better reads something like that. It becomes a big "Oh I heard _____". I just like to throw in stuff like that just to balance things out for those who might not be as well informed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom