• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    I am planning to buy a used bolt gun in either .270/.308/.30-06 for target and deer hunting in PA/VA (I have a shotgun for MD).

I am planning to buy used but might be persuaded to buy new. However, i've read that a lot of the new REM 700s and the like have suffered from QA with the manufacturers mass producing and cutting corners.

Are there any brands/models/years that I should jump on if I see a used one lying around at a gunshop? And what kind of pricing should I expect for what you suggest?

Anyone know of any local gunshops that carry a decent selection?

Thanks for the help, any additional info is appreciated.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If you buy a used bolt gun, learn or have someone with you who knows how to inspect the bore and muzzle.
    I have a friend who picked up a used Rem 700 (I think it was about 10 years old)and we checked the bore and muzzle and it was pristine. Barrel was not free floating but letting it cool between shots, it held really tight groups.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If you don't mind plastic get a new Ruger All American, or Savage. If you like wood older Remington, Savage, Browning. You could also get the Ruger and an aftermarket Boyd's wood Stock.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    If you buy a used bolt gun, learn or have someone with you who knows how to inspect the bore and muzzle.
    I have a friend who picked up a used Rem 700 (I think it was about 10 years old)and we checked the bore and muzzle and it was pristine. Barrel was not free floating but letting it cool between shots, it held really tight groups.

This is very good advice.

The rifle OP is looking for ideally once belonged to a hunter, rather than a shooter. That is, between sight in and hunting season, it may have seen a box or two of ammo per year down the tube. There's plenty of such examples out there. Used but not abused, and never really shot all that much.

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    This is very good advice.

The rifle OP is looking for ideally once belonged to a hunter, rather than a shooter. That is, between sight in and hunting season, it may have seen a box or two of ammo per year down the tube. There's plenty of such examples out there. Used but not abused, and never really shot all that much.

Bullseye! Now where do I find them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    My savage 111 7mm mag will drive nails If I do my part. But it isn't a blast to shoot, it thumps pretty good. That's why I'm finishing up my 6.8 AR, for deer hunting. I'd go .270 and I'm biased towards savage haha. It's synthetic stock but I don't mind for a hunting rifle, don't have to be pretty.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Under $500, you can occasionally find a Ruger Model 77 in good shape in those calibers. I also saw a nice FN Commercial Mauser at a show recently for $525. A ton of gun for the $$$.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Bullseye! Now where do I find them lol

You oftentimes find the deals and the firearms you want when and where you don't expect them. Isn't there a law about that somewhere? But from your location, I'd be inclined to take a day trip up 83 North. And I'd be smiling just as soon as I crossed the Pennsylvania line. You're now out of Maryland, which in and of itself is a big grin, and you'll instead find yourself in hunting and rifle country. Maybe stop just across the line into The Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury, as he's a shop geared toward used firearms and typically has a wall full or more. Work your way north from there. Lots of shops worth a look around in South Central Pennsylvania.

If you decide you want a new Savage, and their rifles are still a hard value to beat out of the box IMO, keep an eye open over the next couple of months for High Rock Outfitters in Hanover Pa. Gary is an IP here, and he's good people. He typically runs a sale on Savage in the early months of each new year, will get you anything you want that Savage makes, and his pricing and service make him well worth a visit.

Good luck!

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    You oftentimes find the deals and the firearms you want when and where you don't expect them. Isn't there a law about that somewhere? But from your location, I'd be inclined to take a day trip up 83 North. And I'd be smiling just as soon as I crossed the Pennsylvania line. You're now out of Maryland, which in and of itself is a big grin, and you'll instead find yourself in hunting and rifle country. Maybe stop just across the line into The Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury, as he's a shop geared toward used firearms and typically has a wall full or more. Work your way north from there. Lots of shops worth a look around in South Central Pennsylvania.

If you decide you want a new Savage, and their rifles are still a hard value to beat out of the box IMO, keep an eye open over the next couple of months for High Rock Outfitters in Hanover Pa. Gary is an IP here, and he's good people. He typically runs a sale on Savage in the early months of each new year, will get you anything you want that Savage makes, and his pricing and service make him well worth a visit.

Good luck!

Great info - thanks!

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I got a Mossberg Patriot in 22-250 recently (August) that is a tack driver. I got the wood version for $400 but at xmas I am seeing them 325 for wood and 250 for synthetic. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of this bolt gun. They have many calibers available for this gun.

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    So what are the major differences in quality and performances over these brands and their specific individual models?

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    The Mossberg Patriot has a rather loose fitted bolt but if you can get past that it does well for an inexpensive gun. The only guns I have so far that is not a tack drivers are my Mosin and SKS. The rest hold 1" or better at 100 yards. I have Marlin, Mossberg, Savage in various calibers. Hand loading ammo & decent optics helps with accuracy and cost. I'd pick the make\model you like out of hat and grab one.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So what are the major differences in quality and performances over these brands and their specific individual models?

Remington new production is trash.No consistency. Remington recently had to recall all of their Model 700 rifles for an unsafe trigger design so if looking used. Factor in cost for a new trigger or a few week-month wait time for replacement if you send it back.

Remington rifles outside the 700 line are generally trash. Exceptions are the old school pump and semis but they're hard to find parts and service now.

Savage bolt guns are good but the bolt handles are a weak point in how they're attached to the bolt body. Hot loads, loads and chambers outside of spec are likely to cause bolt breakage. They also have many variations that make it difficult to source aftermarket upgrades (Stocks, triggers, and occasionally rings are not interchangeable across the line)

Ruger uses proprietary bases and rings for their M77 models but there are adapters for standard stuff you can find in a Wal-Mart.

The American is a great bolt gun but does have cost saving measures taken in manufacturing.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Hit the local pawn shops and find an older pencil barreled Remington 700. I like wood stocks on my bolt gun deer rifles, but I'm weird like that. They shouldn't be out of your price range, and look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom