• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Swype would explain it. I used to love Swype, and used it way back in beta phase. With recent updates, I think it's gotten worse. Stopped posting with an Android phone on the forum and moved to using the iPhone instead.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I do the occasional grammar Nazi man every now and then for fun. But as long as I understand the content, I couldn't care less.

las/876

Dec 1, 2011
    If your flying armed it doesn't have to be on your person. Unless your in uniform. Just in your immediate reach. If your not LE, definitely not a good idea to have any ammo, magazines, weapons in your carry ons/person...check all those items.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    transport your gun legally as per TSA and your airlines regulations.

answer is yes.

must be unloaded (no loaded magazines either) in separate locked case in your carry on, only unlockable by you. do not give away your key/lock combination. if you bring ammo it must be in its original packaging. some recommend breaking it down so if it ever gets inspected/fondled by tsa or gate agent it doesn't scare people.

google "legally transporting handgun on airplane" for more information

Loaded mags are OK. My typical travel arrangement is several loaded mags. The rounds cannot be loose, they must be in either a factory box, reloaders box or in the magazine. Firearms must be clear and safe, locked in hard sided container. It is up to the AIRLINE whether loaded mags are kosher, the TSA has no stipulation.

To the OP. You will be fine. I have flown to CA with some of my guns and back several times.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not all airlines allow loaded magazines. If yours does, the end of the magazine must be taped closed to prevent rounds from becoming loose. If the airline doesn't allow it and you don't have the orignal or an equivalent box, your ammo isn't going on the plane.

Check with your airline for specifics.

TSA web site;

• Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
    This from the UA Contract of carriage. Note other airlines may be different.
    i) Properly packaged small arms ammunition up to a maximum of 11 pounds (five kgs.) may be checked as
    Baggage. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
    Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer’s original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or
    metal containers and the ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured
    against movement.
    The Passenger shall make a written declaration confirming that the above provisions are
    met. Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles will not be accepted.

The above gives an airline discretion in whether thay allow loaded magazines. Why take the chance it isn't allowed?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why take the chance that the person at the counter doesn't know if it OK or not?

Just pack the ammo in a proper box.

Notice that United seems to not allow plastic ammo boxes (like MTM or similar).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Although technically not allowed, I've used MTM cases with UA. Nothing was said. Probably more out of ignorance than loose rules.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Well, there are members of this forum who MAY be able to have firearms in carry on. :)

I unknowingly had an empty magazine in my carry on out of IAD. It wasn't discovered until I went through private security at MCI.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    This is an older thread.... Here is an update with a link to the TSA site on firearms and ammunition. Aside from the TSA requirements, it is necessary to check with the specific airline you plan to use since they may have additional restrictions. As far as TSA is concerned, shipping ammo in checked baggage is ok, with limits. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Does anyone know how California treats those evil high capacity assault clips if they are brought into the state by a non-resident ? Did they outlaw them outright or is it similar to MD law with a transfer and purchase prohibition ?

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    CA only permits >10rds magazines if they were present in CA prior to Jan 2000. Otherwise it is illegal to import them.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    from the blog

Attachments

• guns1.JPG
      guns1.JPG
      68.5 KB · Views: 43
    • guns2.JPG
      guns2.JPG