• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    I have purchased a state park pass the last couple years. I don't have my HGP but should have it soon. I mainly go to North Point but go to many of the parks for day trips for hiking or swimming.
    Thank you for doing this. As it's been said, this is one of the most asinine laws on the books.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Really need chesapeake forest lands folks. Dig deep and think about members down near Salisbury and neighboring counties. I've got a feeler out to a friend in DE to see if she knows anyone down that way.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    MSP claimed in one of those Zoom calls that they did not
    Did they address if it was hooked up to the service or not? once it is hooked to the service then it isn’t considered mobil any more. I also know lots of people that live in a rv year around.

Kilroy3006

Jun 10, 2015

Firearms in National Parks​

Possession of Firearms in National Park Units​

In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located. 54 U.S.C. 104906.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable Federal, state and local firearms laws and regulations, including laws authorizing or prohibiting concealed carry, before entering a national park. Some parks are located in more than one state or locality which means that the applicable laws may change depending upon where you are located within a park area.

If a park is located in a jurisdiction where the applicable state and local laws grant reciprocity to non-resident firearm owners, then consistent with the applicable law, the park will equally recognize the reciprocity. For information on state and local laws, please contact the state and locality where the park is located.

Possession of Firearms in Federal Facilities​

Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in NPS facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities. 18 U.S.C. 930.

Use of Firearms​

Unless authorized, the use or discharge of a firearm within a park area is prohibited. 36 CFR 2.4(b) and 13.30(c). In parks where hunting is specifically mandated or authorized by federal statute, firearms may be used to hunt in accordance with NPS regulations and state laws. 36 CFR 2.2.

Visitors should not consider firearms as protection from wildlife.

More Information​

The information provided on this page provides a general overview of the rules about firearms across the National Park System. If you have questions about the firearm rules in a particular park, please contact that park for more information prior to visiting.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/firearms-in-national-parks.htm

sckno3

patience is a virtue
    May 7, 2013
    i semi-regularly visit Susquehanna, Greenridge, New Germany, Deep Creek, Garrett, Swallow Falls, and occasionally Assateague, Gambrill, and Rocks.

i frequently have children with me when i go.
    some of those locations are overnight.
    i can probably produce dates and maybe even images for most.

would need to know what's involved in the process, and how much time away from work would be required as a party to the lawsuit.

big thanks to MSI for all the good work.
    membership dues and legal fund donations are always money well spent.

Kilroy3006

Jun 10, 2015
    MSP said absent a permit, you cannot drive around in your RV or operate a boat with a handgun - see Criminal Law 4-203.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    i semi-regularly visit Susquehanna, Greenridge, New Germany, Deep Creek, Garrett, Swallow Falls, and occasionally Assateague, Gambrill, and Rocks.

i frequently have children with me when i go.
    some of those locations are overnight.
    i can probably produce dates and maybe even images for most.

would need to know what's involved in the process, and how much time away from work would be required as a party to the lawsuit.

big thanks to MSI for all the good work.
    membership dues and legal fund donations are always money well spent.
    I've tagged the boss to answer these questions

Sounds like the time commitment is just a deposition though.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    From what I understand, granted this was the law years ago and not stating on firearms but I would bet it does apply. An rv driving down the road ( or towed ) is a vehicle. Once stopped for the purpose of sleeping eating etc in an approved area ( aka camp ground or even parking lot with permission ) it becomes a residence, and all 4th amendment rules apply. edit the legal rule is readly moveable, aka turn a key and drive away, so I guess full set up awning out etc its a house. end edit Per the coast guard years ago same for a boat that is tied to a pier ( ie one your rent or own ). I would bet the same rules apply to guns. Now if in a state park or hunting area park police and dnr have more access, but still not just doing random searches.

The CG is limited what they can do when tied up, but at anchor they can pretty much board as they want. You still have more protections when anchored than when moving, ie under anchor they cant just search your boat beyond safety stuff. This only applies to a boat with a galley and a head, the definition of a galley is very loose thou ( sink and cooking ability ).

Granted its been 15 years since I had a boat but that was the rules, same with rv.

link to wiki on readily moveable wiki

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We really need folks who visit the Chesapeake Forest Lands. They're primarily clustered around Salisbury etc.
    My permit was just approved, so I don’t yet have post date claims. But I’ve head to the Chesapeake forest for hunting a few times in the last 3 years. Plus Greenridge (hunting and camping). Not sure that would cover it as Chesapeake is while hunting which I’d guess would make things complicated. Or maybe not.

Probably is Greenridge and Chesapeake state forests likely wouldn’t be/can’t be till December and/or January. A chance I might be out in Greenridge in October or November.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Really need chesapeake forest lands folks. Dig deep and think about members down near Salisbury and neighboring counties. I've got a feeler out to a friend in DE to see if she knows anyone down that way.
    I can suggest a couple members who live there and one I know does go to Chesapeake state forest. But I am pretty sure they don’t have and don’t plan to get a HGP.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My permit was just approved, so I don’t yet have post date claims. But I’ve head to the Chesapeake forest for hunting a few times in the last 3 years. Plus Greenridge (hunting and camping). Not sure that would cover it as Chesapeake is while hunting which I’d guess would make things complicated. Or maybe not.

Probably is Greenridge and Chesapeake state forests likely wouldn’t be/can’t be till December and/or January. A chance I might be out in Greenridge in October or November.
    Hunting changes nothing.

To add further illogic you can carry du4ing bear season while hunting but not if you're just in the woods out west. IIRC

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Hunting changes nothing.

To add further illogic you can carry du4ing bear season while hunting but not if you're just in the woods out west. IIRC
    Yep, you can carry a sidearm for bear defense during archery season in most of hunting Zone A (as long as the sidearm does not fit the DNR definition of a hunting handgun). I live less than 10 miles from the line between Zone A and B (on the B side). Plenty of bears here. The bears seem to not know to stay on the other side of the line. Guess that I am SOL if I hunt here and a bear encounter goes south. :sad20:

(3) An individual may not:(a) Possess an airgun or firearm while hunting with a bow during the deer bow hunting season, except in Deer Management Region A as described in COMAR 08.03.03.06A(2)(a), a person 21 years old or older may carry a handgun for personal protection while hunting deer in the bow season if that handgun:(i) Has a barrel length not exceeding 6 inches;(ii) Does not have a telescopic sight or electronic aiming device attached; and(iii) Is not used to kill wildlife wounded by a vertical bow or crossbow.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    No, we dont. We have enough problems with CFL's and the bulk of idiots that use them.
    + Most that lease them cant abide by the rules they already have in place now.
    Particularly area 2 and the lower counties.
    First MF'r that shows me a gun, is going to get it shoved up his ass.
    Anyone who wants to fuch around, can find out.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    No, we dont. We have enough problems with CFL's and the bulk of idiots that use them.
    + Most that lease them cant abide by the rules they already have in place now.
    Particularly area 2 and the lower counties.
    First MF'r that shows me a gun, is going to get it shoved up his ass.
    Anyone who wants to fuch around, can find out.
    Hoping this is in jest

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    May be too difficult to do that many at once given how you'd need a small number of plaintiffs who use all of those things
    get a handful of people and go on a road trip. :innocent0

I understand the drip drip of the lawsuits, but it would seem that if they are going after the law is unconstitutional for the same reason, why not put everything in one case - saves time and money.

OldBrokenGrunt

Aug 3, 2022
    Mount Airy
    Didn’t the SCOTUS specifically talk about parks in the verbal arguments of the case? Something about there being a higher need in places like parks? I don’t think I am remembering wrong. Pretty sure that was one of their talking points. Wouldnt that in itself be a massive argument for getting rid of that stupid restriction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom