• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    A buddy of mine is in the market for a new .380 and is very much interested in these two Walthers. Can someone give me a good run down on the differences and whether the PPK is worth the extra money?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    The PK380 is US made by S&W and polymer. THe PPK/s is currently made by S&W and has QC issues then when it was made in W. Germany. The best PPK are made in W. Germany and imported by Interarms. Be careful that Interarms started mfg the PPK under Ranger Manufacturing in Alabama, not as good was the WG but better than S&W made PPK's.

If your buddy can find a PPK made in WG and imported by Interarms go for it!!! Also consider PPK's made by Manurhin (in France) after the war german guns were limited so the contract wen to Manurhin....These are excellent PPK's!!!!

hope that helps!! If it was up to me, I would stay away from the P380. THe PPS in 9mm is a better pistol.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    When the PK380 first came out, I was going to get one. But I've heard nothing but nightmare stories about them.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    He's looking at new production on both guns, so figure a new PPK.

Last edited:

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

I am a Walther fanboy - I love my P22 - but the PK380, from everything I have heard, is a total lemon.

Have him check out a Sig P230 or P232, it's very "PPK-ish", but even nicer looking, is DA/SA, the only difference is that it lacks the (unnecessary) safety.

Last edited by a moderator:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

Walther is a fantastic firearm.....let me preface taht by German Made Walthers are just a fine machine!! look at German cars....fine engineering. the new production Walthers are not Walthers other than their name "Walther" on the slide.....these are Smith & Wesson guns made in New England.

I'm still on the Walther forums and the word is production after 2008 PPKs are better QC then pre 08.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    The PK380 is US made by S&W and polymer. THe PPK/s is currently made by S&W and has QC issues then when it was made in W. Germany. The best PPK are made in W. Germany and imported by Interarms. Be careful that Interarms started mfg the PPK under Ranger Manufacturing in Alabama, not as good was the WG but better than S&W made PPK's.

If your buddy can find a PPK made in WG and imported by Interarms go for it!!! Also consider PPK's made by Manurhin (in France) after the war german guns were limited so the contract wen to Manurhin....These are excellent PPK's!!!!

hope that helps!! If it was up to me, I would stay away from the P380. THe PPS in 9mm is a better pistol.

This man knows what he is talking about with this subject, i also love my Walther PPS 9MM. Tell him he should seriously take the PPS into consoderation, unless it has to be a .380.

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012
    I am a Walther fanboy - I love my P22 - but the PK380, from everything I have heard, is a total lemon.

Have him check out a Sig P230 or P232, it's very "PPK-ish", but even nicer looking, is DA/SA, the only difference is that it lacks the (unnecessary) safety.

This is what I found alot of "lemons" I as well have been looking in the sig direction. Spending $400 on a gun I do not want to have to deal with a lemon.

JasonN3ZBO

Sep 7, 2010
    Lovettsville, VA
    I can't speak for the PPK, but I own a PK380 and its a total piece of crap. I've had nothing but trouble with failure to eject. I've tried several different brands of ammo and sent it back to Walther for service. It's better but still junk. I'll never buy another Walther...

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I can't speak for the PPK, but I own a PK380 and its a total piece of crap. I've had nothing but trouble with failure to eject. I've tried several different brands of ammo and sent it back to Walther for service. It's better but still junk. I'll never buy another Walther...

honestly...I wouldn't call that a Walther, its a S&W. German made Walthers are just fantastic!

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina

they are the guns Bond wishes he had ;)

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I would also recommend the SIG P230/232, or an Hk4 as an alternative.

There was a big recall on the PK380s sometime in the past few years.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I imagine that the PPK will retain value better than a PK380. If they want compact, go for an LCP. If they want something to go plinking with, I'd recommend the Sig Mosquito over the P22. The new P22 still seems to have some feeding problems.

Disclaimer: I own the PPK, Mosquito, and P22 so I may be impartial.

EGM

May 2, 2009
    AA County
    PPK in .380, the only gun I've sold. It was a S&W that was very picky in the ammo and had way too many FTFs. I've heard many stories similar to mine, so I'd stay away from new production PPKs.

spitfire481

Mar 31, 2012
    Glen Burnie Md
    I had a pk380, bought it well used and put about 600 rounds through it myself. Zero issues, I enjoyed it. Sold it when I picked up a glock 23 and hk mk23

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    My mom has a PK380... she's fired around 60 rounds through it, and I put 50 rounds of WWB through it without any issues. Low numbers I know, but for the first 100 rounds and cheap ammo would imply to me that it doesn't have feeding issues. But, time will be the judge.

When she got it, I didn't like it, the trigger feels really cheap when you dry-fire, but in actual shooting, it isn't that bad. I cleaned it before she took it to the range, the slide was caked in junk. I guess from the assembly grease and factory test-fire.

For the PK380, my personal opinion is take it or leave it, but for a PPK? Who wouldn't want a Bond gun? :)

Is your buddy set on those 2 choices? What about looking at the Ruger LC380? It's between the PPK and PK380 is size. I keep toying with replacing my J-frame .38 with one of those or the LCP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom