• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    ok.. I would have put this in the mine is bigger thread..
    but this is more of a legal question...
    The 1911 has a 16 inch barrel.. and i got a conversion kit..
    so now it looks like this..

IMAG0427.jpg

IMAG0428.jpg

now..
    My understanding is since it has a 16 inch barrel, and with the ATF change last year, That I can trow a stock and a foregrip on that and not have any problems?
    then take it off and have a pistol again?

And let me clarify I would NEVER put the stock or anything on without the 16 inch barrel because I would NEVER stupidly SBR the thing. I do NOT want to mess around with going to jail...

Am I missing anything here or am I ok to put the stuff on it?

thanks for any info in advance...

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    'A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel or barrels of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol). A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle.'

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    I don't like to give legal advice as I am not an lawyer. As long as your overall length is ok, the barrel length is ok, I think you'll be fine.

They do have a ruling on the proximity of parts that could create an SBR as well (ex. having a 5" 1911 barrel in the gun cabinet with the rest of your parts). You should consult the MSP / ATF to make sure.

Speaker2Wolves

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2012
    'A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel or barrels of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol). A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle.'

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

What this means is you don't have to get a tax stamp for your (shudder) 1911 "rifle" when you break it back down to a 1911 pistol, i.e., taking the 16" barrel off does not convert your pistol to a SBR.

I think. Consult a lawyer for real advice.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Real quick, before we get anymore into the conversion stuff. Is that really a completely jeweled 1911? :D

Anyway, I don't have any advice for the OP.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    Oh yeah. It's a jeweled 1911.

And after reading the site you posted it sounds like I'm ok. Legally.
    And the fact that the long barrel in it means to take it out I have to completely disassemble the conversion. (take out the screws and take it in half) I would assume that with having multiple 1911's and having a use for any barrels that I'm clear as far as the law.

Thanks for the link.
    And being that as the law is written I should be good. I guess I'll just hope for the best knowing I'm not planning anything illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom