• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Rising ammo prices have brought me to the point where reloading is now imperative, I cannot avoid it any longer. My next step is to pick up some dies in .40 and possibly other calibers in the next couple of months. I'm stumped, however, as to how much better I would be with one brand of dies versus another. I know that going with carbide dies is really really nice in terms of not needing to lube the cases which would get annoying when doing hundreds of rounds at a time. Other than that, what's to be noticed between Lee vs. RCBS vs. Lyman vs. Dillon? This will be a beginning setup using a 3 hole Lee turret press.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    i have lee dies for good couple of years or more.. no issues.. they work.

i just ordered some rcbs short base rifle dies not too long ago and havent used it yet.

its personal preference.. my 2 cents.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It depends on the cartridge. For 40s&w and many other pistol rounds my Lee die sets work fine. For some rifle rounds I prefer other brands of dies.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've been using RCBS dies, since 1979. ZERO issues.
    Their dies are second to none, IMNSHO.

I had one set of Redding dies (7mm Int'l. Rimmed), and they were very rough, inside. That was in the mid '80s.
    I hear that Redding manufactures some of the best dies, nowadays.

I have a couple of sets of Dillon dies. Mostly crimp dies, etc.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I use mostly lee dies on pistol stuff. I have a few rcbs and lyman sets
    Rifles I use rcbs and redding and also lee.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I use Lee dies predominantly, however for my .223 loads I prefer the Hornady Custom Grade dies, easier to taper crimp - decap/resize feels better than the Lee dies did.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Lee's warranty on their dies is only 2 years. RCBS - you buy it once, and own it for life. If you break something - they will replace it, and ship on their dime. The price difference there is probably for that reason.

I use 99% RCBS dies, and have for years. I never had an issue with them. RCBS customer service is top notch. That being said - for my 45ACP rounds, I use the RCBS carbide 3 die set - and do my crimp on a seperate step using a Lee factory crimp die. I am not at all a fan of Lee's die lockrings with the O-rings. I have to readjust it every single time, I remove it and install back into the press. The RCBS - you set it once, lock it down, and it wont move - unless you loosen the die ring with tools.

Here is RCBS warrranty terms:

http://www.rcbs.com/general/warranty/

Lee's warranty terms:

Attachments

• Lee Warranty.jpg
      Lee Warranty.jpg
      77.9 KB · Views: 197

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Been using Hornady dies for awhile now. They work great. Also have a few RCBS dies that I like.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Lee sells Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings and Lock-Ring Eliminators so you can snug down your dies where you want them and not have to remove, replace, and readjust them. You can get extra turrets and set them up with your most-used caliber dies.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Lee's warranty on their dies is only 2 years. RCBS - you buy it once, and own it for life. If you break something - they will replace it, and ship on their dime. The price difference there is probably for that reason.

I use 99% RCBS dies, and have for years. I never had an issue with them. RCBS customer service is top notch. That being said - for my 45ACP rounds, I use the RCBS carbide 3 die set - and do my crimp on a seperate step using a Lee factory crimp die. I am not at all a fan of Lee's die lockrings with the O-rings. I have to readjust it every single time, I remove it and install back into the press. The RCBS - you set it once, lock it down, and it wont move - unless you loosen the die ring with tools.

Here is RCBS warrranty terms:

http://www.rcbs.com/general/warranty/

Lee's warranty terms:

Lee should also mention "DIES WILL RUST IF YOU DO NOT OIL THEM AFTER EACH USE" Otherwise they are fine with me.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Lee should also mention "DIES WILL RUST IF YOU DO NOT OIL THEM AFTER EACH USE" Otherwise they are fine with me.

All dies can or will rust if they are not cared for. Its not just a Lee thing. Im just not a fan of the cheap rubber O ring that is supposed to lock the die ring. The die body always comes loose out of it when you screw in or unscrew it.

To the OP - some Lee dies are 4 dies - especially straightwall pistol. If your using a 3 hole turret, you may end up being short one, if you are going to use the factory crimp die.

tonyw

Feb 8, 2010
    AACo
    I use dillon carbide dies for pistol. Mostly because I pull a pin and can take them apart to clean. Put the pin back in and they are still set where they were before. Beyond that I'd use whoevers I can readily get replacement decapping pins for. I do use RCBS .223 dies and a lee factory crimp. I like that the redding dies lock down then theres a set screw to lock the lock ring in place.

EDIT: For whatever reason I mixed up redding and rcbs dies.

Last edited:

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I have Lee, Lyman, Dillon and RCBS dies, they all work just fine.
    When I get a new caliber, I generally get Lee because of the lower initial cost, but if I find them used or on eBay, I buy what is available.
    DocAitch

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    RCBS, always. Every issue I have ever had, even if it was my fault, they have taken care of no questions asked.

First class equipment and world class customer service.

I'm a guy that doesn't mind paying a little more for better service, and as of right now I won't buy anything else.

Take it for what its worth...

For the record, no issues with rcbs stuff was ever due to quality of the product, but my own stupidity. Like overtightening the protection sleeve on the auto prime to the point where it snapped. Or losing the spring on the auto prime, twice. Or stripping the threads on the trimmer, or dropping something heavy on the balance scale, etc...... Every time they sent replacement parts at no charge.

Sheesh, I need to be more careful :D
    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    for pistol, all my sizing dies are EGW (Lee) U (undersized) dies, because there are many glocks in this world.

all my seating dies are dillon carbide dies.

all my my crimp dies are Lee Factory Crimp dies.

for .223 rifle, I resizse with a RCBS X die, i seat with a dillon carbide die and I crimp with a lee FCD.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    For Progressive loading of pistol ammo i use nothing but Dillon Dies, For the simple reason they are built for progressive machines and if there is a problem you just pull the pin and take die apart and back togeather again with no readjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom