• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Well for 9mm there is little velocity gain once the barrel is past 8". Fed 115g HP goes to about 1250 FPS at 8" and hardly gets past 1300 FPS even at 18". .22LR is very similar as velocity does not go up that much past about 10" in barrel length. However a 9mm bullet being bigger might not buck the wind as well out past 50 yards. But with .22 you can pull the trigger faster with better accuracy in most cases. People used to use pistol caliber carbines in some events sidematches but nowadays about 99% are using the .22LR because they can be shot a lot faster.

Yeah good points. But, I also notice with .22 LR that wind affects .22LR A LOT, especially when shooting out to 100 yards. Don't have any experience shooting 9mm at all, in a handgun or rifle. But, I notice 30-06 and .308 is less affected by the wind than say the .22 LR and .223 to a lesser extent. But, 30-06 and .308 are much more aerodynamic and both have much more power than a 9mm. 9mm is a bulky pistol round with a denser cross-section.

If 9mm lowers are now regulated, I might just forget it and spend my money on other firearms like a VZ 2008. Id rather stay well within the law and not add another ("suspicious" to the State of Maryland) registered firearm or serialized part to my credentials. They could change their mind and say no actually you can't have that under a reinterpretation of SB 281. Just cause they're saying right now something is legal, doesn't mean it is. They're just saying they won't take it from you or arrest you at the moment. Just my opinion, better to stay on the safe side. 9mm dedicated receiver really uses an AR-15 receiver that just isn't milled out fully to accept M-16 mags. You could mill it out and turn it into an AR-15. My AR-10, which I bought post SB 281, uses a different receiver that would be hard to turn into an AR-15, unless they sell .223 mag blocks now to go in a .308 AR-10 receiver.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Look at MV and time of flight to see how the wind will affect it just based on the time it is in the air.

A .22 bullet is around 1100 fps out of the muzzle and with a BC of about 0.125, it gets slower quickly. My .308 load is 2600 FPS with a BC of .496

My .308 load has a 100 yard time of flight of 0.119 seconds. A .22 has a TOF of .298 seconds.

So you would expect the .22 bullet to be affected AT LEAST 2.5 times as much.

For a 10 MPH wind, the .308 bullet has a wind offset of .7" and the .22 is 4.9" So even MORE than expected from just the TOF. Mainly due to the poor ballistic coefficient.

Interesting, and probably only works for THIS example, if you calculate the multiplier between each for Time and for DC, add those together, and multiply by the .308 TOF, you get the .22 TOF.

((.298/.119)+(.496/.125)) x 0.7 = 4.5

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    My Sterling Type II Carbine in 9mm is awesome at 100 yards or under. Wish I could have bought 2 or 3 more, before the Maryland ban went in --- though Marylander's can still buy the full/semi-auto Sterling L2A3 --- with the right paperwork.

dendog

Mar 5, 2011
    Howard County
    I have a Rock River M4 in 9mm and really like. It uses easy to get uzi mags and ammo is still easy on the wallet. I was recently at the Outdoor Shoe last month in Harrisburg and saw that Sig Sauer has a new 9mm carbine coming out that uses Lancer Mags. It will probably be pricey but it looked great. If I was going to buy new now I would be looking at the Sig.

spitfire481

Mar 31, 2012
    Glen Burnie Md
    quarter circle 10 colt lower
    5.5" yhm barrel
    yhm pistol rail
    cmmg bolt
    spikes 9mm buffer
    wilson 3g trigger
    thordsen saddle kit

built as a pistol since its nowhere close to 29" oal, hopefully things will change soon.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    On second thought, what about the mag block route? I have a 5.56 AR. That way I could avoid getting another lower. I have heard about mag blocks cracking or destroying lowers, which is why ive been focused on the dedicated 9mm lower route. But, if I went the mag block route in a 5.56 lower, which block is the best for a NON-dedicated 9mm platform and least invasive in the lower, while being the most durable and stable? Ive heard of Spikes and Hahn being really good blocks. I don't like the idea of set screws because they could potentially mar up the lower. There are top-loading and bottom loading designs. Which one would be better for switching back and forth between 9mm and 5.56 setups?

Also, I have a standard rifle buffer tube and buffer. I noticed the Rifle buffer is almost as heavy as the 9mm buffer. Is it sufficient enough for 9mm? I notice all 9mm buffers are carbine buffers, but they offer an extension if used in a rifle tube.

Thanks-

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I've got an old Marline Camp Carbine model 9 (16 inch barrel). Like the other posters say, out to 50 yards, maybe a little further, it's a peach. At 100, I can hit the paper but not with any precision. (Then again, with my old eyes I can't do much without a scope at 100 yards regardless of caliber). I've read that a 115 gr 9mm round will pick up 200 to 300 fps from a 16 inch barrel, getting close to 357 mag performance from a revolver.

wolf18

Mar 11, 2015
    Western md
    Sorry, if this is been answered but ive been looking at a keltec sub 2000 in 40. I just cant seem to justify the purchase of it. What do you all use your carbines for?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Sorry, if this is been answered but ive been looking at a keltec sub 2000 in 40. I just cant seem to justify the purchase of it. What do you all use your carbines for?

That firearm isn't really built for a purpose. This is just my personal opinion. I do not believe it is built sturdy enough to make it a trunk/defensive gun (if you're so inclined). I just wouldn't trust it with my life. It would probably make a good range gun, but I wouldn't use it for anything more than that.

wolf18

Mar 11, 2015
    Western md
    OK thanks, its at a good price that's why I'm considering it ($380). By the way, i know this is in the wrong section but i cant post a thread yet, or i would. Is it still legal to use high cap magazines. Like say i got a 15 rounder for the kel tec could i load it all the way up and shoot at the range or just leave it laying around. or would i only be able to load it to 10?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    OK thanks, its at a good price that's why I'm considering it ($380). By the way, i know this is in the wrong section but i cant post a thread yet, or i would. Is it still legal to use high cap magazines. Like say i got a 15 rounder for the kel tec could i load it all the way up and shoot at the range or just leave it laying around. or would i only be able to load it to 10?

You can own and shoot that mag in Maryland. You can't buy, sell, or take possession while in Maryland of the 15 round mag. There is nothing illegal about you going to another state and picking one up in that state. You can bring it back into Maryland with you and use it to your heart's content.

Fire Away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom