• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    And holy cow is it stiff. I'm gonna have to take it apart and clean it all up. Not sure if it's just that nasty gunk they ship it in, or just rough parts left over from the machining. Maybe after a few hundred rounds it'll smooth out, but I'm definitely gonna need to wipe it all out.

Anyone else have a slide release that feels like it needs about 25 pounds to push it down? Damn near needed two hands to work it.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    And holy cow is it stiff. I'm gonna have to take it apart and clean it all up. Not sure if it's just that nasty gunk they ship it in, or just rough parts left over from the machining. Maybe after a few hundred rounds it'll smooth out, but I'm definitely gonna need to wipe it all out.

Anyone else have a slide release that feels like it needs about 25 pounds to push it down? Damn near needed two hands to work it.

That's what she said.

I just bought one today and it's a great piece. Congrats!

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Well, I wont say that taking it apart is quite as easy as any of my other guns, but I will definitely say it's nowhere near as horrible as people say. I made use of the many videos on youtube on how to do it, especially this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5eylgiNcI&feature=fvwrel.

He even has a couple videos on what to do if you get stuck. Now I need to do it once more without screwing up, and actually clean all the storage junk off of it.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County

Please check your manual. Ruger is adamant about it NOT being a slide release. The proper release method is to pull pack on the bolt assembly, press the release and while pressing release the bolt.

Enjoy...love my target model.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Careful with the slide release...

The correct way to release the slide on the 22-45 is to "Sling Shot" it...

That is to grab the 2 ears on the bolt with the right hand & pull back slightly...

Use another finger to drop the slide release...

Then let the slide go home at full speed to chamber the next round...

Try it, I will save you a lot of grief...

Hope this helps...

Pilgrim21784

Jul 7, 2012
    Sykesville
    Just a tip if you already are not aware, really clean/oil the mags - my brand new 22/45 Lite was having a problem feeding on its second range day (did 100 rounds each day).

First day was okay, no problems. On the 2nd day after some feed problems on the third mag load and noticeable increased pressure needed to load the mag, I stripped the mags and thoroughly scrubbed/cleaned/oiled them - problem disappeared. I think the factory gunk/lubricant was the issue.

I'm still getting used to the 22/45 in contrast to the wife's SR22 which has been flawless and much easier to field strip. The difference is so noticeable that I may switch over to the SR22 for my primary plinker.

I like the hand grip/feel of the 22/45 better but my groups with the SR22 were tighter and aging, arthritic hands prefer less hassle than my (limited) 22/45 experience prefers in cleaning.

I'm going to use nail polish to improve the 22/45 Lite sights (the SR22 already has nice hi-viz yellow sighting dots from the factory). The option of the 22/45 Lite w/suppressor is appealing (another issue of aging, semi deaf, hearing aid needed folks like me pay attention for its usefulness) is in its favor but the damn thing is a bear to strip and properly clean.

Probably just a function of my newbie status with it but DAMN - it sure isn't a Mini-14 comparable design, Ruger got that one dead on.

I'm a Ruger guy from way back in rifles and revolvers, this is my first experience with semi-auto pistols and I'm not real fond of the 22/45 requirements when I deal with maintenance issues. We'll see how it plays out. I've upped my plinker criteria to include how long it takes me to field strip/clean the weapon as one of my keeper issues. (I'm a slow learner but I'll get there :) ).

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Just a tip if you already are not aware, really clean/oil the mags - my brand new 22/45 Lite was having a problem feeding on its second range day (did 100 rounds each day).

First day was okay, no problems. On the 2nd day after some feed problems on the third mag load and noticeable increased pressure needed to load the mag, I stripped the mags and thoroughly scrubbed/cleaned/oiled them - problem disappeared. I think the factory gunk/lubricant was the issue.

I'm still getting used to the 22/45 in contrast to the wife's SR22 which has been flawless and much easier to field strip. The difference is so noticeable that I may switch over to the SR22 for my primary plinker.

I like the hand grip/feel of the 22/45 better but my groups with the SR22 were tighter and aging, arthritic hands prefer less hassle than my (limited) 22/45 experience prefers in cleaning.

I'm going to use nail polish to improve the 22/45 Lite sights (the SR22 already has nice hi-viz yellow sighting dots from the factory). The option of the 22/45 Lite w/suppressor is appealing (another issue of aging, semi deaf, hearing aid needed folks like me pay attention for its usefulness) is in its favor but the damn thing is a bear to strip and properly clean.

Probably just a function of my newbie status with it but DAMN - it sure isn't a Mini-14 comparable design, Ruger got that one dead on.

I'm a Ruger guy from way back in rifles and revolvers, this is my first experience with semi-auto pistols and I'm not real fond of the 22/45 requirements when I deal with maintenance issues. We'll see how it plays out. I've upped my plinker criteria to include how long it takes me to field strip/clean the weapon as one of my keeper issues. (I'm a slow learner but I'll get there :) ).

One tip I've found, instead of taking the bolt out first, then removing the barrel, take them off together, and put them on together. Saves you from having to worry about the hammer and what position it's in. I tried it the other way, and I agree then it is a bit of a bear. But now I've got it to where I've got the thing striped and put back together in about 40 seconds.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    theres really no need to take apart the parts in the pistol grip. Unless you want to end up taking it to a gunsmith:innocent0

Yeah, I'll be leaving that still until I put in a new trigger, which I'm going to be doing soon. The stock trigger is surprisingly heavy with a fair bit of creep.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I'll be leaving that still until I put in a new trigger, which I'm going to be doing soon. The stock trigger is surprisingly heavy with a fair bit of creep.

Try just changing the sear first.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Get a "Sam Lam", "Bam", or Vq MkII bushing. That will get rid of that and the mags will drop free

Go to rimfirecentral and get ready to learn a TON of stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom