• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • endsjustifymeans

Sep 21, 2011
    Overlea/Hamilton
    Hello all,

Just picked up a Horton Yukon SL on saturday for $175. Had two aluminum bolts with it and the attached quiver. Stock peep sight. It's in great shape, barely used and definitely never dry fired.

I realize it's a bit of a beginner bow, but I am a beginner and in the reviews I've read it's highly dependable and people have seemed to successfully hunt with them for years.

Did I do ok at that price? Any advice on on ranges in/around the baltimore city area to take it to? And must have accessories?

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    You will do fine with that - get some more bolts-either ebay or walmart($5 each)- some 100gr. or 125gr. field points and a bag target to shoot at in your back yard. Once you get it figured out get some broadheads and go hunting.Dont overthink it, and no need to spend $15 a piece on broadheads, it should shoot fine out to 25-30 yards and as long as the bolts match it should group reasonably well. Also get some cheap lip balm for $1 and slick up the string and the arrow track --or spend $10 on crossbow lube. My cheap Horton has taken 4 deer in the last 2 years-4 shots in the woods and 4 deer down.Thats with a peep sight with a single fiber optic pin. I find all bows easier to carry and use without the quiver attached - I use a hip quiver on a belt.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Congrats and enjoy. I just ordered a Horton Team Realtree Ultralite from my wholesaler. I sold one to a customer, and when I checked it out I fell in love. I just had to have one. Horton seems to have their act together and make some nice stuff.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    I just got my first crossbow last Thursday at Bass Pro, a Parker Hornet Extreme. This thing is a blast to shoot and deadly accurate. Only took a few shots to dial the scope in at 20 yards.
    40yrd2.jpg

40 Yards seated using a shooting stick.
    50yrd1.jpg

50 Yards shooting off hand.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    Your Horton should work fine. Your will need a bolt for unloading by shooting into the ground. I suggest a heavy field tip on it and paint it organge or white. I also suggest a separate short quiver with a shoulder sling. Once you are on your stand you can hang it. The quivers on the bows are handy, but catch on everything and you tend to lose bolts out of them.
    Spur

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom