• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    One reason my ID is Photoracer is I am a long time photographer (45+ years) not to mention my younger brother Kirk is a full time pro and was voted one of the top 30 architectural photographers in the world a few years ago.
    Sorry I did not see your posting earlier. The camera you picked if fine. One thing I would have asked was if you had any good lenses on your K1000, because older Pentax lenses can still be used on their latest DSLRs also, whether they are manual or auto focus. As for buying equipment for used KEH is the best by far, as it is used by the pros also. For new I stick to either B&H as #1 or Adorama if they don't have it. I tend to skip all the others.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    One reason my ID is Photoracer is I am a long time photographer (45+ years) not to mention my younger brother Kirk is a full time pro and was voted one of the top 30 architectural photographers in the world a few years ago.
    Sorry I did not see your posting earlier. The camera you picked if fine. One thing I would have asked was if you had any good lenses on your K1000, because older Pentax lenses can still be used on their latest DSLRs also, whether they are manual or auto focus. As for buying equipment for used KEH is the best by far, as it is used by the pros also. For new I stick to either B&H as #1 or Adorama if they don't have it. I tend to skip all the others.

Thanks for your input. As far as my old K1000, I only have the original 50mm and a cheap Quantaray 30-70mm. I know Pentax is top rate (My Pentax scope is my favorite)and would have gone that route but Nikon and Canon have such a strong presence in the U.S. that there are a lot more options.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Now it's getting out of control. I just bought a D7000 for myself with an 18-140 VR lens. It will be cool exploring the hobby together.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Madness. Next you'll be hanging out at photography enthusiast forums.

Ooooh you don't want to do that. They're even more anal retentive about gear choices and laboring over crazy minutae than we are.

;)

mikebalt

Nov 4, 2014
    Catonsville, MD
    I will put in my .02 as I am a semi-pro photographer - used to shoot weddings during the summer months.

I started with a d7000 and as I got money got rid of the shitty dx consumer lenses and bought more professional fx lenses - ebay and craigslist are ripe with good deals if you know what you are looking for. Technology changes and camera bodies get better - don't put your money into upgrading the body, upgrade the lens as that is where you see the most marked improvements. Older fx lenses are fine as long as they don't have fungus. Google Ken Rockwell and check out his site as it is an excellent resource, especially for lenses.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Fx lenses are next on the horizon! What do you mean by fungus? Actual fungus or a photography term?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Google Ken Rockwell and check out his site as it is an excellent resource, especially for lenses.

Take what he says with a sometimes large grain of salt. Some of his stuff is totally and blatantly wrong, and when called on it he basically just shrugs and says "well, it's meant as entertainment, and not to be factual."

Fx lenses are next on the horizon! What do you mean by fungus? Actual fungus or a photography term?

Yes, actual fungus can grow on the surfaces of the glass in older lenses sometimes. If a little moisture makes its way in there, and some spores or whatever stuff can grow. Sometimes it's harmless, sometimes it'll distort your images. With really expensive lenses, it can be worth sending them in to have them cleaned if you got a good enough deal on the lens.

And yes, I'd agree with everyone else who says to spend money on lenses. When I got started in motorsport photography, I was still using a low end consumer grade Canon body. I eventually bought a fairly nice Canon L-series (their "pro grade" stuff, basically) lens, and that helped a ton. Eventually I ended up with a pro-series body as well, but it was a good while before my skills warranted moving up to the better body.

Cdcrews01

Jun 8, 2013
    Something else to think about when buying lenses. Look at older model professional lenses vs brand new plastic models. I bought a 1992 Nikon 80-200 F/2.8 that is built like a tank, excellent optics and focuses fine on my camera body for $200 less then what I would have spent on a new F/5.6 plastic lens. If you can do without VR and internal focus motors it is the way to go!

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Something else to think about when buying lenses. Look at older model professional lenses vs brand new plastic models. I bought a 1992 Nikon 80-200 F/2.8 that is built like a tank, excellent optics and focuses fine on my camera body for $200 less then what I would have spent on a new F/5.6 plastic lens. If you can do without VR and internal focus motors it is the way to go!

That might have been true a few years ago but since then there has been a major shift in lenses in the last two years and it's the largest on going thing to happen in photography since last fifteen years.

The major manufactures of lenses are revamping their whole line of lenses because they are able to make improvements in the optics especially third party lenses like Sigma which are now surpassing the alternatives from Canon and Nikon.
    The plastics they use now has none of the plastically feel they once did because they have made improvements in polymer technology. They are thermally stable, will not dent and they offer lighter weight then their metal counterparts. Canon is in the process of revamping their entire prime lens line to include IS.
    The AF speed and precision of focus have also been improved.
    I have two of the newer Sigma Art lenses and the difference is so significant that it's actually effecting the overall image rendering.
    Older versions of lenses are no longer retaining their value as a result.

In regard to learning about photography there is no better tool to quickly understand the dynamic then purchasing a light meter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom