• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    Someone will be along shortly to correct me, but I suspect Pertua/Richards will go down before the 9th but subsequently appealed and given cert by SCOTUS.

Peruta pretty much cut and pastes Heller. For SCOTUS to (a) decline cert or (b) rule against Peruta is too much like taking a second bite of the Heller apple and this time spitting it out.

Last edited:

zenMonkey

Patriot Picket
    Mar 30, 2013
    If a majority of the judges vote to rehear En Banc, it is probably because they didn't agree with the original ruling correct? This means that a majority of the judges already want to overturn the original ruling, and thus we already know that we lost just by the En Banc vote. Or is that not at all close to reality? How often does the the En Banc ruling confirm the original ruling? It seems just by the nature of the system that it would be rare.

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Yeah, the fix is in.

I think we can say at this point, the court is going to approve anything short of a total ban.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    If a majority of the judges vote to rehear En Banc, it is probably because they didn't agree with the original ruling correct? This means that a majority of the judges already want to overturn the original ruling, and thus we already know that we lost just by the En Banc vote. Or is that not at all close to reality? How often does the the En Banc ruling confirm the original ruling? It seems just by the nature of the system that it would be rare.

No, at least, not quite. The vote is by all active judges, but the en banc panel is only 11 judges. It will thus turn on who the 11 are. THe en banc panel has not been announced.

zenMonkey

Patriot Picket
    Mar 30, 2013
    No, at least, not quite. The vote is by all active judges, but the en banc panel is only 11 judges. It will thus turn on who the 11 are. THe en banc panel has not been announced.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. I'm still depressed, but at least I now know what's going on...

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Someone will be along shortly to correct me, but I suspect Pertua/Richards will go down before the 9th but subsequently appealed and given cert by SCOTUS.

Peruta pretty much cut and pastes Heller. For SCOTUS to (a) decline cert or (b) rule against Peruta is too much like taking a second bite of the Heller apple and this time spitting it out.

I don't think SCOTUS will grant cert anytime soon, they've declined it too many times for this issue and I think that if they were going to do it they would have done it. My opinion is that none of the justices know if Kennedy has the balls to say that 2A extends outside of the home and both sides of the court don't want to risk setting precedent based on him. And our side doesn't want the decision watered down like they had to do to appease Kennedy in Heller.

OleCuss

Jan 12, 2011
    California
    That was funny:lol2:.Is there a link in layman's speak or cliff notes on this? Serious question.

The "Two Weeks" thing is from the Calguns forum.

IIRC, back when the Off-List Lowers were getting started there was an item which was supposed to occur in two weeks and the time frame kept getting extended.

So now on Calguns whenever anyone says "Two Weeks" it is implying that it should happen now but who really knows when the item/event/whatever will really happen. There's an emoticon for this as well.

It's now mostly a tiresome joke because it has been used so often.

The "Two Weeks" thing is from the Calguns forum.

IIRC, back when the Off-List Lowers were getting started there was an item which was supposed to occur in two weeks and the time frame kept getting extended.

So now on Calguns whenever anyone says "Two Weeks" it is implying that it should happen now but who really knows when the item/event/whatever will really happen. There's an emoticon for this as well.

It's now mostly a tiresome joke because it has been used so often.

I know/get the 2 weeks/3% thing,was looking for a summarized/breakdown of the legal jargon for the " the big word challenged".

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012

There's a roughly 4.3% (sorry, it's actually 2.8%. I'd forgotten that the chief judge gets to sit on the panel by default) chance that we draw a favorable panel, assuming all Democrat nominees vote against the right and that all the Republican nominees vote in favor of it. Given the 100% opposition to the right to arms on the part of Democrat nominees at the appellate level to date (at least that I've seen), that 4.3% chance is likely an upper bound.

Ignore these numbers at your "peril", but I predicted the case being taken en banc well in advance on the very same basis.

No, Peruta and Richards will almost certainly be overturned en banc.

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    There's a roughly 4.3% chance that we draw a favorable panel, assuming all Democrat nominees vote against the right and that all the Republican nominees vote in favor of it. Given the 100% opposition to the right to arms on the part of Democrat nominees at the appellate level to date (at least that I've seen), that 4.3% chance is likely an upper bound.

Ignore these numbers at your "peril", but I predicted the case being taken en banc well in advance on the very same basis.

No, Peruta and Richards will almost certainly be overturned en banc.

My faith lasted a bit longer but I agree.

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    Chief Thomas? What happened to Kozinski?
    Kozinski got termed out. Also note that Thomas was the dissenter in Peruta, and the decision in that case was suspiciously delayed until Thomas could take over as Chief Justice during the en banc process.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Yea, I'd say most of CA9 as demonstrated by this vote disagree with the original ruling. What remains to be seen is what the makeup of the panel will be (10 random judges plus Thomas), so we obviously still can win but the odds are not good.
    However, there are other issues which could play in our favor. For one thing, a lot of Thomas' dissent focused on CCW not being protected. Perhaps they take the line similar to that of CA10 (OC is the right), although I doubt they go so far as to say that; maybe they just say that they are not ruling on legality of CA's OC ban but the CCW regs are permissible.
    They could also take a hard line opinion and try to strictly confine to the home and split with Moore.
    Or, it's just going to be an attempt to copy CA2-4 because they believe SCOTUS won't take it in that case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom