• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I plan to look at a lot at YMR this week end. The owner and I have an agreement that any sale would be contingent on the property being a buildable lot. If my wife and I like what we see, we will hire someone to dig the holes for a perk test. Anyone here do that kind of work, or know someone who does?
    Thanks
    Mike

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I plan to look at a lot at YMR this week end. The owner and I have an agreement that any sale would be contingent on the property being a buildable lot. If my wife and I like what we see, we will hire someone to dig the holes for a perk test. Anyone here do that kind of work, or know someone who does?
    Thanks
    Mike
    Down here, those are scheduled through the county. Maybe ask the county permit department how they handle those?

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Down here, those are scheduled through the county. Maybe ask the county permit department how they handle those?
    I talked to a guy at the Garrett Co Health Dept. He said it would be up to us to hire a digger and get back to him to schedule the day for the test

Thanks

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks
    Mike
    Make sure you have in the agreement what constitutes a buildable lot. Not perking doesn't mean you can't build there. It just limits you significantly.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Make sure you have in the agreement what constitutes a buildable lot. Not perking doesn't mean you can't build there. It just limits you significantly.
    Not sure what you mean there. It has to pass perk to put in a septic which is required to build a house there. We have an agreement that specifies my being able to build a house

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Failed perc can just mean you need holding tanks for a septic system
    That.

You can almost always build on any property. If it fails perc, you just need holding tanks. Just like if a well can’t go in, you can still build, you’d just need a cistern, or creek fed and purified, or tank holding.

Most counties won’t refuse a building permit based on a failed perc, you are just going to have design constraints that’ll make you not want to build there (or put a cabin in, and an outhouse and don’t tell the county).

If the seller is honest, no problem. If the seller is dishonest they might still try to take you over the coals even if a perc test fails.

Or it might mean you need a sand mound septic coating $40k making it uneconomical to build on that property for what you were thinking and the seller says too bad, we have an agreement and a house can be built.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    watch when you schedule your perc test.

The land we are on now is swampy - more or less in the spring after the thaw. standing water all around the field.

In July and later into october, it is like the sahara out there.

wanna guess when the perc was done? August.

Wasn‘t my problem then, I bought in 2007 and the seller ‘joked’ about it being swampy.

He was spot on with that assessment. But I can’t beat the absence of neighbors for a quarter mile.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    But depending on if and what its perc rate is could be the difference in a $10k or $40k for a septic system.
    Anyone know if that BAT - Best Available Technology requirement still exists? I thought it was struck down a few years back

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Most lots in that area require a sand mound.I knew they are more expensive to install , but $40,000? I need to do some more research before going any farther.

Thanks for the info ya'll

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    watch when you schedule your perc test.

The land we are on now is swampy - more or less in the spring after the thaw. standing water all around the field.

In July and later into october, it is like the sahara out there.

wanna guess when the perc was done? August.

Wasn‘t my problem then, I bought in 2007 and the seller ‘joked’ about it being swampy.

He was spot on with that assessment. But I can’t beat the absence of neighbors for a quarter mile.

Dunno about Garrett, but often there is a 'perc season'. The 'county sanitarian' will only accept tests performed during a set timeframe, usually in spring wet season.

There are alternatives where you have 'soil engineer' come out , look at a core drilling or trench and say 'yep, it's gonna perc' without anyone actually hammering a pipe in the ground. That way you are independent from 'perc season'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom