• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Where would you suggest getting pepper spray at good prices around the Baltimore area. Thanks, Bud

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Do you practice with pepper spray like you do your firearm. Most of the people I know practice all the time with their firearm and then give their wives pepper spray with the only instruction being "all you have to do is point and push the button" What I see is that in times of stress like an actual attack they will have no neuro- muscle memory to go on. What do you thing?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    It is not illegal to carry in Maryland. Some local jurisdictions have restrictions or ordances concerning the carrying and use.

As a SABRE instructor, I tell everyone to practice using the inert canisters available from SABRE. In our SABRE CSAP classes, we practice several drills and each student gets two inert sprays to practice with. Just like using a firearm, you need to practice in order to be proficient and prepared.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    It is not illegal to carry in Maryland. Some local jurisdictions have restrictions or ordances concerning the carrying and use.

As a SABRE instructor, I tell everyone to practice using the inert canisters available from SABRE. In our SABRE CSAP classes, we practice several drills and each student gets two inert sprays to practice with. Just like using a firearm, you need to practice in order to be proficient and prepared.

Thank you, my wife and daughter both carry it and have been for sometime.:thumbsup:

Skivvy9r

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, MD
    Here's the link:
    http://statutes.laws.com/maryland/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-1/4-101
    I'm not a lawyer so I may well be wrong but the way I read the statute pepper spray is illegal to carry UNLESS a judge decides that you had a reasonable cause. To me that means you are guilty and will be arrested. Then maybe a judge will give you a break.
    I'd like to hear that I'm wrong about this, I just don't see it in the law.

From your link:
    c) Prohibited.-
    (2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

It does not prohibit concealed carry of pepper spray and does not prohibit use for personal defensive.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Good point. I was referring to:
    "(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person."
    After reading the definition of "weapon" I see that it includes everything except mace so I stand corrected.
    It appears that concealed carry of mace is okay. You just can't waive it around and threaten people.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    That's why I don't like the Kimber pepper spray thingies, at $50 each they're too expensive to practice with.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

These classes are very, very good. My wife and daughter took them and its really helped their situational awareness. Michael & Patti are great instructors.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    These classes are very, very good. My wife and daughter took them and its really helped their situational awareness. Michael & Patti are great instructors.

Yup - agreed. I don't send my wife to something I haven't tried first so I took the class with Michael too.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    That's why I don't like the Kimber pepper spray thingies, at $50 each they're too expensive to practice with.

They're on Amazon for $34 shipped. They also sell different versions specifically for practice, though not any cheaper. Reviews are very positive.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    There is this notion that OC spray is for women. Well, we can't legally carry firearms in MD (most of us.) So that leaves us few options. I will tell you as someone who has been voluntarily sprayed with Sabre Red that this isn't just a "woman's weapon." This is serious stuff. I carry a small can of Fox Labs in my pocket where legally allowed. It's a good option to compliment anything else you might carry.

OP I've seen the stuff at gun shops, hardware stores, wal-mart...I think I even saw some at Giant the other day. I saw "Sabre" but it might have been one of those personal alarm things.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    There is this notion that OC spray is for women. Well, we can't legally carry firearms in MD (most of us.) So that leaves us few options. I will tell you as someone who has been voluntarily sprayed with Sabre Red that this isn't just a "woman's weapon." This is serious stuff. I carry a small can of Fox Labs in my pocket where legally allowed. It's a good option to compliment anything else you might carry.

I agree. IMHO, it's a more effective and safer defensive option than the knives many of us carry when we can't carry guns. I like the features of the Kimber Pepper Blaster II. It's the size of a Ruger LCP and can be carried similarly. There are Youtube videos demonstrating its effectiveness.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I used to carry a Bottle of Sabre. My buddy who is a cop told me there is something hotter out there but I forget who makes it. Does anyone know of a hotter spray than Sabre?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have been happy With 2oz Sabre red MK3 LEO unit in a Blackhawk mag pouch, it's good stuff, secure, easy to pull, and is placed where my handgun normally is up here. Sabre is king when it comes to everything you need, sprays, practice units, training classes etc. Attended one a few years ago that was very good, and sold me on their crossfire can, can be sprayed in any position, very useful if your attacker cheats, and doesn't stand still 10' away, it allows you to hit quick bursts to disorient if you end up rolling on the ground with someone, add a decent knife and some techniques with that, and you are about as prepared as a law abiding serf can be in MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom