• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wizzer368

Zombie Slayer
    Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern shore of MD
    Since I was hoping for self defense to be g&s and that hasn't happened yet. Has anyone ever heard of a paramedic getting a ccw permit? Much like doctors or pharmacist clause in the law?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There is no "doctors or pharmacist" in the law.

Would you happen to have a prescription pad or drugs to protect when you are not at work?

If you are looking to carry while at work, then the request would have to include a letter of approval from your employer.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There is no "doctors or pharmacist" in the law.

Would you happen to have a prescription pad or drugs to protect when you are not at work?

If you are looking to carry while at work, then the request would have to include a letter of approval from your employer.

Prescription pad doesn't cut it, either. You have to be in possession of narcotics.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Paramedics do carry controlled meds but the chance of you getting a CCW for that, in my opinion is zero. You won't carry at work, heck Balt. Co. even went so far as to ban Leatherman tools and pocket knives as weapons several years ago.

Better off documenting a few irate patients that threaten you.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Get your Fire Chief to write you a letter saying you need to be armed. I'm sure that will help in your process.

Even if you were able to get a CCW (I don't think you'd be able to) but then you have policy and restrictions through your employer or volunteer (I'm guessing you aren't paid right?) department to worry about.

Good luck.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    If this were Tejas, I could imagine your chief being on board for this.

Alas this is MD and with the brouhaha about the deputy who contributed to the sheriff without taking the training classes and drilled some fugitive in the back with a gun he thought was a Taser, I don't think they will want you to carry.

Besides it looks bad on cell phone videos of returning fire crouched down behind the patient on the stretcher. :lol:

wizzer368

Zombie Slayer
    Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern shore of MD
    Yeah I don't want to carry at work and there is no way they would allow it. I would like to carry on my days off since we come in contact with a lot of shady people.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah I don't want to carry at work and there is no way they would allow it. I would like to carry on my days off since we come in contact with a lot of shady people.

Ahhhh, so you are going from the police angle excuse. You'll run into a lot of opposition with that reason. Many citizens run into shady people as well. Every single day.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

Exactly, wouldn't/don't we all? Sounds like a good headline for Shall Issue. Not that I voluntarily come in contact with lots of shady people.

Meanwhile our state laughs at you, and an organization like the "Federal Reserve Police" probably get to carry (off duty) in all 50 states.

IMO, you're in more danger than a "Federal Reserve Police Officer" who probably has never really done much "Police work" other than stand in front of a big concrete building all day telling out-of-towners they can't take a tour of the building. :D

Not disrespecting the job, as I'm certainly not doing it.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    May wanna go back and look at when the windy city issued shot-guns to be carried on the side of the apparatus. if I recall a few pump operators had been cut down using dimes out a 12 guage... But the maryland gun-laws are working so your safe .. just go ask Frosh

Martinjstn1

Feb 23, 2015
    SBY

If you could get a permit for being a paramedic and your chief gave you a letter im 99% sure it would be restricted to while at work (but I dont think you could get one for that). So I would see no chance of it being outside of work unless you have another Maryland GS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom