• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    So I have a Para SF-45-A which is a modified P14.

Shoots very accurately, but I noticed while cleaning it the other day that my barrel bushing has a crack in it.

I am new to 1911's and don't know how to select a replacement. I understand if I get a bushing that is too loose I will lose accuracy.

How do I go about replacing this?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    A loose fit will result in poor accuracy.

Best bet in my expreience is to get a Oversize (Gunsmith Fit) Briley Spherical bushing for your gun. Paras Slide internal bore and cuts are oversized and most gunsmith fit bushings fit perfectly or "bushing wrench" tight. Youll have to mic the last 1/2" of the barrel and order the inner ring with the appropriate size, you order it .001 oversize. So if you have a .579 barrel you get a .580.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1828/Product/1911_AUTO_SPHERICAL_BUSHING

bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    Is there a reason those bushings are much more than the other bushings I was looking at?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is there a reason those bushings are much more than the other bushings I was looking at?

The other bushings will require a gunsmith to fit them and they cant have a super tight barrel fit or the gun wont function.

The Brileys allow a SUPER tight bushing fit and allows reliability. Theres a chance the outer portion may have to be fit but most just drop into most paras.

Im a smith and I use Briley spherical bushings on all my 1911's I have owned.

bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    Okay. The other question, when I measure the tip of the barrel, tight pressure on the mic gives .579, no pressure gives .580. What's correct? I know that's kinda stupid.....

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Okay. The other question, when I measure the tip of the barrel, tight pressure on the mic gives .579, no pressure gives .580. What correct? I know that's kinda stupid.....

Use the .580, your just getting flex on the Micrometer to get the .579 reading.

bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    Thanks. I am going to assume it is not safe to fire the gun until its replaced right?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks. I am going to assume it is not safe to fire the gun until its replaced right?

It wont blow up but if it fractures under recoil the bushing can damage the barrel (Gouge It), or damage the inside of the slide.

You did good noticing it. Real GOOD. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom