• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kizmit99

May 18, 2011
    Howard Co
    Hi all, I'm looking for a little advice on the use of DuraCoat to paint a rifle. I'm assembling an FAL for a friend and the finish on the upper and lower receivers don't match and are pretty worn. My plan is to paint them using a DuraCoat "Shake and Spray" kit. I haven't painted a gun before, so I'm hoping for a few tips...

First off, does anyone have an estimate on how thick the resulting paint layer will be? Should I expect just a few thousands added, or something more substantial like 10/1000"? Basically trying to determine whether the paint buildup is likely to interfere with some parts fitting together.

Second question is really along the same lines -- how do folks usually deal with "assemblies" like gas systems and adjustable sites. Should they be fitted together and painted as an assembly, or completely broken down and all the individual pieces painted separately. If the latter, I'm assuming any "precision" mating surfaces should be masked before painting (to avoid the paint buildup affecting the fit)?

When prepping the parts I'm starting by completely disassembling them, then doing a thorough cleaning and degreasing. After a good degreasing, how long would I have before I had to start worrying about surface rust on steel parts? If I don't plan on getting around to the actual painting for a few days, or a few weeks, should I go ahead and dowse the parts in WD40 (or similar) to keep them from rusting? Obviously, if I do that I'll need to degrease again right before the actual paint-prep. Just trying to get a feel for how long I have to work with the 'raw' parts before I have to worry about them degrading.

Finally, anyone have any tricks for dealing with surface rust -- other than 400-1500 grit "sand" paper and elbow grease?

Thanks for any pointers!

Gino z32

that car guy
    May 17, 2011
    Bennsville, MD
    1- depending how many coats and how thick the coasts are you can probably expect a few thousandths added on. Any contact moving parts will just wear away the paint, no biggie. As for parts that fit together, I wild recommend masking off any parts that fit INSIDE any other parts. They won't be seen, so no use painting that section anyways and causing a possible fitment issue.

2- I would take everything apart and mask off anything you don't want to paint. It might add a little extra time but it will give you an over all better coverage without having to worry about parts you don't want painted (I.e. bolt, sight posts, etc).

3- as long as you keep the parts in a dry place they shouldn't really start forming any rust. If its going to be a while there is no harm in giving the parts a dusting of wd40, just don't forget top degrease before painting. As for any surface rust, rather than using sandpaper and removing material, first try some fine steel wool and wd40. If it is light surface rust that should take care of it without removing any other metal like sanding would.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom