PA woman learns the hard way about NJ's Graves' act.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    The real question here is: why don't police refuse to arrest people under a statue that does not jive with the constitution?

Because if they don't make the arrest they can get into trouble. Especially these days when everything is video and audio recorded. They can lose their jobs, lose their pension and basically have their lives destroyed.

Some police (in NJ) are also anti-gun. Not all of them and I don't think most of them are. But there are some.

Secondly how does a jury convict a person who gets arrested and charged under a statue that does not jive under with the constitution?

Sometimes the jury is often not given all of the facts. In the case of Brian Aitken, the judge gave the jury instructions which deliberately omitted the exception to possess firearms when moving from one residence to another Aitken and his attorney had claimed that he was moving and thus should be allowed to possess. Absent that, it was a slam dunk - Aitken had a firearm and he was illegally in possession because he did not have a permit to carry.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Wow good to know.

Do you need a foid card to posses ammo? I think in NYC you do.

In NJ we do not have Firearm Owner IDs like Illinois. No license or permit is required to own firearms in NJ. We do have firearm purchaser ID cards (FPID or FID) which are required to purchase long guns. We also have paper permits valid for 90 days to purchase handguns. You need either a FPID, carry permit or pink copy of a handgun purchase permit to purchase pistol calibers (any caliber that can be used in a pistol, including 410 shot shell). You don't need anything to possess ammo.

Hollow points are illegal except in specific places - your home, target range, place of purchase. Transport rules should be strictly adhered to because there is precedent (Aitken) where you cannot move HPs between your residences when moving.

NYC is a different ball of wax. You need a permit to possess any ammo in the city and it must be the same caliber as your registered gun(s). I believe in NY State in general now you need a permit to purchase ammo.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I have mixed feelings about this. NJ clearly sucks. But she also had training prior to getting her license, and I can't imagine it wasn't pounded home to her what would happen if she went across the bridge into NJ while carrying. She probably calculated then accepted the risk "because that almost never happens". Well it did happen. And now she is stuck in the grinding wheels of "justice". But I can't think of a better poster child for exposing the insanity of the NJ laws.

There is no training required to get a Pennsylvania LTCF. However, I believe she had training from before, according to the Ammoland article. In that training she may have been told to hand over the LTCF with the driver license. She probably either didn't realize she was in NJ or she figured that the LTCF was good in NJ.

I lived in NYC some years ago. I figured that people were legally packing all over and that it would be easy to get a gun license in NYC. That was before I became a gun owner (after I moved to NJ). A friend told me about the whole thing. I didn't believe him until I got my FID. I didn't learn that NJ had no CCW until I joined ANJRPC (I joined for the range). I didn't learn that even if I could get one it is not good in every state. I learned that from a Utah ad in the ANJRPC newsletter... I was wondering why NJ residents would even want a CCW from Utah. A lot of people get tripped up because they simply don't know.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    In NJ we do not have Firearm Owner IDs like Illinois. No license or permit is required to own firearms in NJ. We do have firearm purchaser ID cards (FPID or FID) which are required to purchase long guns. We also have paper permits valid for 90 days to purchase handguns. You need either a FPID, carry permit or pink copy of a handgun purchase permit to purchase pistol calibers (any caliber that can be used in a pistol, including 410 shot shell). You don't need anything to possess ammo.

Hollow points are illegal except in specific places - your home, target range, place of purchase. Transport rules should be strictly adhered to because there is precedent (Aitken) where you cannot move HPs between your residences when moving.

NYC is a different ball of wax. You need a permit to possess any ammo in the city and it must be the same caliber as your registered gun(s). I believe in NY State in general now you need a permit to purchase ammo.

I bet lots of hunters are " felons " now .. hard to respect such a law .

I say we stop sending any federal law enforcement money to these states .. :)

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I have mixed feelings about this. NJ clearly sucks. But she also had training prior to getting her license, and I can't imagine it wasn't pounded home to her what would happen if she went across the bridge into NJ while carrying. She probably calculated then accepted the risk "because that almost never happens". Well it did happen. And now she is stuck in the grinding wheels of "justice". But I can't think of a better poster child for exposing the insanity of the NJ laws.

My thoughts, exactly.

Jersey still sucks though.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Ms Allen and Evan Nappen will be on fox and friends tomorrow morning. They will also be on HLN tomorrow afternoon.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    517092.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) You MUST know and follow the laws of other states when you CC.

2) This was not her crossing a bridge into NJ by mistake and getting stopped, Atlantic County is where Atlantic City is, she had crossed a minimum of half the width of the state.

But I agree, they should look at the whole thing. She voluntarily told the officer that she was carrying.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Judge will probably find some way to override even if all jurors say that she should walk.

If it's anything like Brian Aitken, the judge will give them instructions to ignore other factors, and even ignore the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom