• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Recently I purchased a new HK P30SK. I was checking the function today before I take it to the range eventually, but when I tried to cycle ammo through it, the first type I tried, Fiocchi JHP, stuck and wouldn't even let me move the slide back. I had to force the slide back while not ejecting the round to remove the slide and barrel, then use pliers to remove the stuck round.

Upon inspection I noticed the bullet had slight marking from the rifling. This ammo has worked in my other 9mm HK USPs fine before.

I tried inserting two other types of ammo into the chamber. IMI JHP sticks slightly, but with no issues extracting and Winchester FMJ will freely slide in and fall out with no issue.

I feel this is likely the bullet type causing the issue (Hornady XTP in the Fiocchi ammo), but I would have thought that factory ammo should be fine to use. I emailed HK to make sure there was nothing wrong with the barrel.

Has anyone else had any issues similar to this? Depending on what HK says, I guess I should just plan to use ammo that won't stick into the rifling while chambered.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you think the throat on your gun is too short, I'd call HK and let them know. Perhaps they'll swap the barrel for you. Chambering a barrel can sometimes be tricky business, and it's not impossible (or even all that hard) to screw up.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I did end up calling HK and they said take it to the range and put rounds through it, but call back if there are any issues. I'm thinking the Fiocchi ammo itself may be the issue which uses the Hornady XTP bullets, but they may be seated out further than they should be after comparing them to other ammo. If that's the case I guess the USPs are just able to tolerate a wider variety of ammo.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    If you have a micrometer, check the cartridge length, they may be a bit long.

Other ammo chamber fine?

Yeah all the other ammo I've tried has chambered fine so that is why I started thinking it might just be the ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom