• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    I must admit I know very little about shotguns or clays and just signed up for basic shotgun course in July ( hopefully will know more after the class :)

But i was wandering.. isn't semi auto always better than o/u ? I mean more shells, choke is the same .. why do people use over under at all?

can someone spend a minute and share the wisdom?

Much obliged.

P.S I also have never shot one , so for me it's all theoretical at this point

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    The o/u would be simpler maintenance wise. Other than that I would prefer a semi-auto. It would be lighter and much more comfortable shoot considering the recoil difference between a nice semi-auto and an o/u. I could see the appeal of an o/u if they were less expensive, but most of them are pretty pricey.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    In doubles, you usually have two different chokes so you can hit things at different distances. It makes it easier to pick off a pair of targets, birds etc. You can also select which you will fire first based on the situation.

Theoretically the lock time is less with doubles.

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    O/u
    Less maintenance
    more reliable
    2 chokes
    More expense
    Easy break down and carry no long case
    Alot more options ie trap or Sporting models. Factory adjustable ribs and stocks.

Now if u want an all around gun a semi is great

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Not necessarily better or worse, but a semi-auto will have a shorter barrel to maintain the same overall length. Conversely, the same length barrel will produce a longer overall gun in a semi-auto than in an O/U, because of the length of the action.

Oh, and also you don't have to bend over to pick up your spent shells with an O/U. :)

MPS111

Claybirder
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bel Air
    Not necessarily better or worse, but a semi-auto will have a shorter barrel to maintain the same overall length. Conversely, the same length barrel will produce a longer overall gun in a semi-auto than in an O/U, because of the length of the action.

Oh, and also you don't have to bend over to pick up your spent shells with an O/U. :)

+1

Plus you are not spraying the shooter to your right with spent shells

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Well, in most clay games (and at most ranges I've been to) you're only allowed to have two shells in the gun anyway so being able to add another shell or two doesn't matter.

I have a Browning 525 Sporting O/U that I really love. O/U's are far easier to clean and maintain than semi-autos. No jamming. No hull chasing. Very reliable. Benefit of having two different chokes - though I am usually using a pair of skeet chokes or a pair of Light Modified chokes.

I also own a Beretta 391 Teknys semi-auto which I also love using. It's become my primary sporting clays gun (with a Light Modified choke as well). I've shot a Browning Silver and Remington 1100 - neither of which I liked that much because of the rattle & clunk of the action. It's just very distracting to me when shooting pairs. But the Beretta handles very well and there is no "clunk" to the action. It's quick and quiet when it cycles.

I would suggest that you try both. What I say doesn't really matter that much. It's all personal preference. But I will say that having a gun that fits you well, and swings well for you, is more important than what kind of action it has anyway. O/U's are also generally more expensive than semi-autos as well.

But if I could only own one shotgun it would be an O/U.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    If you have your O/U set up to extract and not eject you don't have to worry about going to police the range for your shells, just pop it open pull them out and toss them in your bag. Not a major advantage but it's rather nice if you don't feel like bending over a lot.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    The only things going for an auto is lower recoil and lower price. An O/U has many advantages for sporting clays. The choice of two chokes, more weight, better balance, better triggers, less maintenance, retains value better, lasts longer.

All of this said, it really boils down to what you shoot better. I shoot an auto or a pump very well, but I shoot my O/U even better.... all things being equal, IE: gun fit.

RetNavyHD

Dec 7, 2008
    North East, MD
    I shoot a semi-auto for sporting clays....I don't see where having two chokes is an advantage as your either on or your not. Some people live by the spray and pray method maybe thats what the are getting at. An auto can be shot just as much if not more than a O/U and depending on which auto you will not have to clean it that much (beretta) I clean mine maybe every 5000 rounds and never have a problem with a 20 minute cleaning. About the only thing an O/U has an advatage over is in retaining it's value but my auto will never be sold so thats of no real meaning to me as it is mine and I shoot a semi best.

You need to get to a range and shoot both types of actions and determine what is best for you. I have a pretty new O/U sitting in the safe (browning cynergy) if your interested as I prefer a semi. Get the gun that fits you best and your most comfortable with, good luckin your search.

StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    Thanks all who replied. I'll def. be playing with o/u , auto and pumps. I generally prefer less automation .. revolvers and bolt action to automatics, but shotguns is a whole new area for me.

thanks again .

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    My first "competition" grade gun was a Beretta 391 Urika1 Parallel Target. I like shooting it, and it's low recoil (added weight to the forend cap and in the buttstock for a soft shooter). The lack of choke options, and reliability were my biggest concern when I switched to an O/U for shotgun shooting competitions. My 391 has always been VERY reliable, except sometimes with reloads which are slightly swollen on the end, in severe cold, etc.

With doubles trap I use a LM/IM chokes in my Browning XT 32" O/U. In my semi I needed to use an IM, which handicapped me a bit. In sporting clays, many times, you get two targets with a very large gap in their distance. With a single choke tube you have to pick a "middle of the road" tube which may be slightly too much, and slightly too little for each target, rather than pick a tube for each target. Granted, I rarely switch my tubes from IC/LM when I shoot sporting or 5stand but I always use my barrel selector to keep the most open tube for my close targets.

I still shoot my 391 for international skeet, sometimes for 5stand, or games. Anything I'm more serious about, I grab the O/U

My O/U hasn't had the slightest hiccup, except normal maintenance. I replaced the firing pins, springs, etc. I bought the gun used, put ~20K+ rounds through it, and have done all of $40 of maintenance on it or so. Not too shabby :thumbsup:

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I need to add something to my above comments, as I tend to compare the better autoloaders to the better O/Us. Most newer shooters are drawn to O/Us for some reason, but they can't afford or just don't want to spend the money for a good one. So, unless your O/U wants and needs for targets allow you to buy a Browning, Beretta, Guerini, or something in that range as a minimum quality O/U, most would be well advised to stick with an auto. To consider some Russian, Turkish or South American O/U for targets simply because it's an O/U would be a big mistake.

As to the action types again, it's a matter of choice and it's a matter of how well you shoot one over another.

StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    I need to add something to my above comments, as I tend to compare the better autoloaders to the better O/Us. Most newer shooters are drawn to O/Us for some reason, but they can't afford or just don't want to spend the money for a good one. So, unless your O/U wants and needs for targets allow you to buy a Browning, Beretta, Guerini, or something in that range as a minimum quality O/U, most would be well advised to stick with an auto. To consider some Russian, Turkish or South American O/U for targets simply because it's an O/U would be a big mistake.

As to the action types again, it's a matter of choice and it's a matter of how well you shoot one over another.
    great comment, i'll def keep this in mind

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I shoot mostly side by sides because I just plain li9ke them better. An auto is a good entry level gun (still dont buy cheap as you will regret it) Most serious shooters end up with an over under for target games based on balance and trigger pulls.
    Any gun that is well made and fits you well will do.
    The reason not to buy cheap junk is a target shotgun should easy go 50,000 rounds without any real maintenence (I dont mean cleaning) most handguns and rifles will never see that type of round count. The autos will start to break parts around there and the over unders should be just opening really smooth.

RetNavyHD

Dec 7, 2008
    North East, MD
    I shoot mostly side by sides because I just plain li9ke them better. An auto is a good entry level gun (still dont buy cheap as you will regret it) Most serious shooters end up with an over under for target games based on balance and trigger pulls.
    Any gun that is well made and fits you well will do.
    The reason not to buy cheap junk is a target shotgun should easy go 50,000 rounds without any real maintenence (I dont mean cleaning) most handguns and rifles will never see that type of round count. The autos will start to break parts around there and the over unders should be just opening really smooth.

Thats funny chit right there.....all guns are mechanical and will break no matter if auto or O/U.....lets do some sporting clays shooting and I promise to use my entry level auto, loser pays for the round of clays? Anyone up for that?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom