• Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    2j122jq.jpg

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I'm the bad apple. I didn't have AC for 10 years and now my powder is stored in the barn. I have always kept the original container in a cooler. I also have some ammo in the barn where I shoot, cheap .22 and hand loaded 9mm that is still fine.
    If I had a choice I would keep it in a temperature and humidity controlled area but I just can't. Most of my powder is unique it works fine for 9mm to .44 mag and shotgun loads. It's just dirty but I like cleaning g guns so it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    I don't know about your shed but my shed is certainly not as secure as my house. I realize that was not the context of your original question but security would be a factor for me. I realize the dollar value isn't astronomically high for even 5 pounds but I'd rather the powder not end up in the wrong hands.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I keep mine in an dorm size frig in my out building. I set the frig to it's warmest setting.
    It should be very fire proof and under stable conditions. These can be found very cheap on Craig's list at times, like May and June.

Last edited:

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I keep mine in an dorm size frig in my out building. I set the frig to it's warmest setting.
    I t should be very fire proof and a stable conditions. these can be found very cheap on Craig's list at times, like May and June.

And it does not even come close to what the powder manufacturers call for in an enclosure.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Since I can only keep under 5 pounds of power at a time I think the frig is more than enough, this only says that quantities over 20 pounds needs to be in an enclosure.
    Quote:
    10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I have stored my black powder in ammo cans in a smoke house for years with no effect. I make sure I check can seals and keep them covered with a tarp. Still goes bang. I have had smokeless out there also and it held up good. I think the biggest problem with outdoor/indoor storage is moisture, keep that out. The old saying "Keep your powder dry". I don't think temp has much of an effect. Chris

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    "Store in a Cool Dry Place". As I understand storage of powders not to be stored in a place that has a big temperature variation.
    I checked ammo in Germany as a ammo storage NCO. All of those are bunkers underground, dry and sealed against temperature variations.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Since I can only keep under 5 pounds of power at a time I think the frig is more than enough, this only says that quantities over 20 pounds needs to be in an enclosure.
    Quote:

So what do you think the metal walls of the fridge become if the powder goes off?

Think shrapnel.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Interesting discussion. Not a lawyer but as I understand 'possession' it may not include stuff outside the house. Long term storage in watertight containers underground or a fridge in a shed seems like a good answer. Not wanting to dig for my next load, I like the idea of a dorm sized fridge. Does the fridge get too cold in winter?

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Interesting discussion. Not a lawyer but as I understand 'possession' it may not include stuff outside the house. Long term storage in watertight containers underground or a fridge in a shed seems like a good answer. Not wanting to dig for my next load, I like the idea of a dorm sized fridge. Does the fridge get too cold in winter?

I think protection against "Extreme's of temperature" The Key.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    So what do you think the metal walls of the fridge become if the powder goes off?

Think shrapnel.

The door is only held shut by a magnetic seal, it would pop open as soon as any pressure built up inside, before anything else happened.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You hope.

So why do people get stuck in them if they are so easy to open?????????

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore

Think shrapnel.
    I agree with Ted
    Smokeless powder is a flammable solid, not an explosive.
    As long as the refrigerator door is only held closed with it's magnetic strip, there is no danger of "explosion". Put some kind of mechanical latch or lock on it, and it would be a different story.
    Read some of Hatcher's writings on smokeless powder incidents and deliberate ignition of smokeless powder( Hatcher's Notebook, Julian S Hatcher,1947). Hatcher investigated mishaps with smokeless powder, guns and ammunition. He was a retired Major General with a career in ordnance, and technical editor of the American Rifleman magazine for years.
    DocAitch

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The point is, a flammable solid, when ignited and CONTAINED is a low explosive. There are some videos of people igniting lithium batteries in a ammo can (as an experiment to see what happens), the amazing one was where they cut a 4 inch diameter vent hole, and the ammo can still ripped apart and created shrapnel.

There is also a timing thing. Firing a cartridge expels the bullet, but you can still generate 50,000 psi.

Up to you. Personally, I will go with the fire code and use a WOODEN container.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    One of the reasons the National Fire Protection Association requires wood is for prevention of static sparks when handling the containers. If you pick up a container of powder with a build up of static in your body, the wood acts as an insulator between the container and ground. No ground, no static spark.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    The point is, a flammable solid, when ignited and CONTAINED is a low explosive. There are some videos of people igniting lithium batteries in a ammo can (as an experiment to see what happens), the amazing one was where they cut a 4 inch diameter vent hole, and the ammo can still ripped apart and created shrapnel.

There is also a timing thing. Firing a cartridge expels the bullet, but you can still generate 50,000 psi.

Up to you. Personally, I will go with the fire code and use a WOODEN container.

That 50,000# of pressure is generated because there is a bullet that is fit snugly in the bore. A refrigerator door held shut with a magnetic strip would probably only cause an overpressure of a couple of pounds per square inch before it released.
    Not an issue.
    DocAitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom